Ever had some freaky unexplained shit happen in your life?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
JohnClay

Re: Ever had some freaky unexplained shit happen in your life?

Post by JohnClay » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:09 am

I think this involves the presence of an intelligent force though most people would just say it involves coincidences....

When I was in a mental ward in early 2019 - I wanted to annoy God so I was reading a Gideon's Bible upside-down then soon after I was given my own sealed Bible - inside it was upside-down!

In the same visit I found a special Connect 4 set - related to the special number "42"
https://www.lifesplayer.com/instagram.php#connect4

horvack

Post by horvack » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:49 pm

Not really. Statistical flukes don't really resonate with me the same as with other people.

We had a gaming session on Sunday where 4 of us all rolled sixes, then later 3 sixes were rolled, then 2...

My wife was like "OMG, what are the odds?" I was like "yeah, [numbers/numbers], that happens sometimes".

It's literally the same odds as every other possible result, you just attach significance to this one for reasons...

The exception to the above is sports - hot/cold streaks feel very real to me.

One freak occurrence that has happened to me is when you pick up the phone to call someone, only to find that you've answered a call from that person, before the first ring. I've been on both sides of that one. (Yes, I'm older than cell phones.)

Buttrock as zen
Formerly: stuck

Post by Buttrock as zen » Sat May 01, 2021 5:32 pm

2 weeks ago: I watch my cat dive into the bushes, come out with a lizard's tail. He eats it as it wriggles wildly. Dives back in and has ANOTHER tail in under 30 seconds. Eats that one too.

2 nights ago: wife and I watch My Octopus Teacher. Poor little fuck gets its arm ripped off by shark. I look up octopi and realize that the arm was an evolutionary feature called Autotomy. This leads me back to lizards. I dive into wikipedia and discover legless lizards that are not snakes. I say didja know and show wife a picture of a legless lizard.

1 night ago: my wife says "oh this is so weird, someone on my feed is talking about legless lizards."

I blame spring, and my octopus teacher rippling through the noosphere.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sat May 01, 2021 7:38 pm

Buttrock as zen wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:32 pm
2 weeks ago: I watch my cat dive into the bushes, come out with a lizard's tail. He eats it as it wriggles wildly. Dives back in and has ANOTHER tail in under 30 seconds. Eats that one too.
After reading this lead in, I thought the moral of this story had only two possible out comes:

1) I can feed my cat less (because the cat can feed itself)
2) I need to feed my cat more (because the cat is so hungry it has taken to feeding itself)

Needless to say, the whole show went in an entirely different direction.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:24 pm

Mhm, this one time I ordered a painting and it never came. Imagine that. I started retracing my steps and realized x-mas gifts aren't mailed to rehabs. It's got to do with the whole naughty or nice thing I guess - that's how I reconcile with the lost $70-something US. :lol: (never letting little mashy live that one down btw)

Speaking of x-mas, who's avoiding that holiday this year? *freaks everyone out*
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:41 pm

Birth

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:55 pm

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:24 pm
Mhm, this one time I ordered a painting and it never came. Imagine that. I started retracing my steps and realized x-mas gifts aren't mailed to rehabs.
Rehab owes you. I found your painting.
Attachments
Mashy-rehab-painting.jpg
Mashy-rehab-painting.jpg (53.92 KiB) Viewed 4329 times

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:12 pm

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:55 pm
SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:24 pm
Mhm, this one time I ordered a painting and it never came. Imagine that. I started retracing my steps and realized x-mas gifts aren't mailed to rehabs.
Rehab owes you. I found your painting.
Thanks guys. Apologies are sometimes silent like a bow with too much head nod; sorta like in the form of a reconciliatory bonus. Love you guys. :cry:

That's what friends are foooooor.

*Stops being sensitive and feels heart grow a little*
Last edited by SomeInternetBloke on Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:13 pm

I've experienced time in slow motion three times, all while playing sports in highschool. At the time the internet wasn't a big thing yet and I'd never heard the phenomenon discussed, so I felt very hesitant around admitting it/exploring the experience.

It's only within the last few years that I was remembering those experiences and decided to look them up. It's a documented and studied phenomenon, and your brain is actually processing things faster than usual.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3950412/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_perception
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil