What are some philosophical ideas that have had a profound impact on your life? Why?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Re: What are some philosophical ideas that have had a profound impact on your life? Why?

Post by Madrigal » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:10 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:56 pm
I read Fear and Trembling several years ago for a philosophy club in London, during the phase when I was trying to be less socially isolated. Needless to say most of the attendees had a butchered and superficial understanding of what they had just read.
Philosophy Club? How'd you find them? I remember at the Philosphy faculty there were quite a few reading circles. A lot of them were being promoted, openly or covertly, by a political group. Some groups were so small and specific they only existed at that faculty though.

Ferrus

Re: What are some philosophical ideas that have had a profound impact on your life? Why?

Post by Ferrus » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:46 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:10 pm
Ferrus wrote:
I read Fear and Trembling several years ago for a philosophy club in London, during the phase when I was trying to be less socially isolated. Needless to say most of the attendees had a butchered and superficial understanding of what they had just read.
Philosophy Club? How'd you find them? I remember at the Philosphy faculty there were quite a few reading circles. A lot of them were being promoted, openly or covertly, by a political group. Some groups were so small and specific they only existed at that faculty though.
Through Meetup during the early days. I went to one on Aristotle's Ethics too, they were in a hired room at the pub (the organiser of that one thought I had a PhD in the subject, ha).

Not sure if Meetups like that are still running. I wasn't able to attend many as a) they were overbooked and space becane available at the last moment and b) I was living in a small town and later village in Kent (a big part of my social isolation in retrospect, I should have moved to London long before but was too uncertain about myself) and travelling to London was inconvienient after work and expensive.
Ex falso, quodlibet

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:40 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Julius_Van_Der_Beak wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:42 pm
Ferrus would like Kierkegaard.
I think his take on deception and truth is interesting, and his attitude about individuality actually reminded me of Nietzsche despite his Christianity.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:49 pm

This sums up memories of when I was massively into Hegel reading 10 years ago.
Ex falso, quodlibet

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:54 pm

Buttrock as zen wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:35 pm
Perdurantism/ endurantism encompasses the debate as to wether something within us persists from moment to moment or if “we” change. It’s a weirder question than it appears at first blush, and it busted my brain so bad upon becoming middle aged that I have kept it around ever since.
deep

(edit) For me it's Arthur Schopenhauer and how we humans grapple with viewing this reality interface beyond just our preferred individualized filters.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi