Science Microthreads

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Catoptric

Re: Science Microthreads

Post by Catoptric » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:52 pm

Lab grown meat is metastasis from biopsy, that doesn't have apoptosis?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=YCRy0i

Whatever grows quickest. . . Capitalism to the rescue.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:25 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 308410007/

A guy was sweeping the ocean for a meteorite and found tiny spheres made of seemingly alien metal. They're undergoing further analysis.

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:15 pm

Anti-aging discovery by Harvard researchers: "preparations for human clinical trials of the lab’s age reversal gene therapy are in progress... 'this new discovery offers the potential to reverse aging with a single pill, with applications ranging from improving eyesight to effectively treating numerous age-related diseases,' Sinclair said."

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:02 pm

Matter is an Illusion_ Physical Reality is Empty Space Buzzing With Energy
- Dr Irwin A Moon (Founder of Moody Institute of Science in 1945) Sermons from Science (aka Wonders of Science)

Authors file a lawsuit against OpenAI for unlawfully ‘ingesting’ their books
https://amp.theguardian.com/books/2023/ ... TflfnSqzSw

So when AI get's indigestion from their material, should it mock their literature, and whatever results from it will be declared parody/satire? Maybe that would satisfy the Authors?

Last edited by Catoptric on Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:17 pm

Metal can heal itself.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/scienc ... al-itself/

Now we can look forward to lower safety standards. Maybe fewer mechanical fasteners and more one-piece casting, because the healing is on the nanoscale and it was observed only in stress crack.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:12 pm

Spiral of silence
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_of_silence
Spoiler
Show
The spiral of silence theory is a political science and mass communication theory proposed by the German political scientist Elisabeth Noelle-Neumann. It states that an individual's perception of the distribution of public opinion influences that individual's willingness to express their own opinions, which in turn affects the perceptions and, ultimately, willingness of others to express their opinions.[1][2] The main idea is that people influence each other's willingness to express opinions through social interaction.[1] According to the spiral of silence theory, individuals will be more confident and outward with their opinion when they notice that their personal opinion is shared throughout a group. But if the individual notices that their opinion is unpopular with the group they will be more inclined to be reserved and remain silent. In other words, from the individual's perspective, "not isolating himself is more important than his own judgement", meaning his perception of how others in the group perceive him is more important to himself than the need for his opinion to be heard.[3]

According to Glynn (1995), "the major components of the spiral of silence include (1) an issue of public interest; (2) divisiveness on the issue; (3) a quasi-statistical sense that helps an individual perceive the climate of opinion as well as estimate the majority and minority opinion; (4) 'fear of isolation' from social interaction "(though, whether this is a causal factor in the willingness to speak out is contested[2])"; (5) an individual's belief that a minority (or 'different') opinion isolates oneself from others; and (6) a 'hardcore' group of people whose opinions are unaffected by others' opinions."[1]
Social Media and the ‘Spiral of Silence’
https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/20 ... f-silence/
Spoiler
Show
A major insight into human behavior from pre-internet era studies of communication is the tendency of people not to speak up about policy issues in public—or among their family, friends, and work colleagues—when they believe their own point of view is not widely shared. This tendency is called the “spiral of silence.”1

Spoiler
Show
stage 1: rule based AI systems (0:22)
stage 2: context awareness and retention systems (1:17)
stage 3: domain specific mastery systems (2:44)
stage 4: thinking and reasoning AI systems (4:05)
stage 5: the birth of a new mind: Artificial general Intelligence (5:25)
stage 6: artificial super intelligence (6:48)
stage 7: AI singularity (8:18)

Hybrid Human - AI Human hybrid - Digital Consciousness - AI Engineered Realities - Immortal AI - Leaving Physical Realm

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:58 am

Seems so. . .

Adaptation evolution at its finest: Unraveling the marvel of the ‘Jesus bird’ and its multilegged mystery
https://hasanjasim.online/adaptation-ev ... lMm1z_1-Go

This is pretty crazy

Chrysler Turbine is shockingly quiet (due to very few moving parts.) The cost at the time to build it was $50,000, which is $450,000 today. . . Few (about 55?) were made and even fewer (around 6?) remain, which is explained in this video. 130 hp and 450 lbs torque at rest.

Also, Ethanol was originally considered prior to leaded gasoline, but due to the costs was eliminated as a choice to increase octane. The move to use corn as renewable is less about how much carbon it emits (about 24% more than regular gas) though the increased heat should help reduce carbon monoxide and increase carburator efficiency.

Also, with the consistently above 90-110 Fahrenheit, the plants are stunted in growth since it reduces photosynthesis.

This is a significant problem beyond just the food supply, but also animal life.

On a "plus," people will be cancer-free?

The canceled super collider project in Waxahachie Texas

Edit: More videos can be found here:
Catoptric wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:54 am
Click the quote

The above video is alleged by commenters to be plagiarized by this video
https://fb.watch/mQfOr_t9jv/

Toxic Mold Syndrome: “It Was Like I Lost My Personality”
https://www.amenclinics.com/blog/toxic- ... rsonality/

Some black molds people think are the highly dangerous kind, aren't. You can also use Rosemary oil to reduce mold growth.

Buying two mold kits (sold in home repair stores) exposed to the environment air can then be sent off for testing to Mycometrics.

What I find kind of surprising is that link doesn't seem to mention using HEPA filters, or using dehumidifiers, or mention plumbing leaks (the most common source of molds, apart from roof leaks or window issues; a lot of modern windows are crap compared to historic homes, and people will spend tens of thousands "upgrading" with inferior products that doesn't reduce their utility bills.)

Under a microscope:

How microbial diversity makes every sourdough different
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/ho ... -different
Last edited by Catoptric on Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:47 am

Using polio infusion for brain tumors (glioblastoma)

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/beverly-clock

Someone on FB was asking about the afterlife and what people think about it.
Spoiler
Show
I'm 100% certain that our current Standard Model physics can't explain the idea of consciousness existing non-corporeally, and yet you can find tangible proof that EVP (Electronic Voice) phenomenon is real and demonstrates very clear and audible conscious interaction (with prompts from myself which I posted a link to look at) when I studied the phenomenon extensively circa 2004-2007.

Book Authors like Reinerio Hernandez who study the phenomena--and whether they are credible--believe that time duality (not specifically mentioned) expresses consciousness, and that material physics exists simultaneously in what we perceive as consciousness (purporting that the time duality and consciousness permit a simulacrum of reality via holographic universe theory?) and that things like the UFO phenomenon and ghost phenomenon seem to be possible (though perhaps relies upon a tangible consciousness for it to be able to show up (perhaps think of it like some kind of quantum entanglement with consciousness?)

I have my doubts about "Rey's" authenticity when it comes to some of his claims (as I'm usually highly skeptical of anyone that has an invested interest in anything paranormal, since most of them are grifters who have nothing to gain by genuine claims of research, or they are so biased as to not bother with criticism and collaboration with people in academia who would ridicule their work and make them look incredibly stupid, by "known" science,) because it came to my attention they were probably involving famous people like Edgar Mitchell who started the Noetic Society and has a genuine belief in what Rey talks about though are considered one of the more kookie Astronauts, as well as Rey's personal friends conducting mock interviews, and appeared disingenuous at times; such as, if he interviewed his friend, why do we never get a video interview with his wife who Rey purports to have prayed in Spanish and had a revelatory sighting of an orb phenomenon along with miraculous curing of their beloved dog who was dying?)

Oddly enough, even Authors like Tom Butler (and his wife) whose careers specialize in what he prefers to call ITC (Instrumental Trans-Communication) instead of EVP phenomenon seem to think I'm bluffing with my recordings (as though I went in afterwards and tried to fake what I recorded.) When I talked with Tom he claimed he was a reincarnated scuba diver. . . I guess he associated fear of water and deluded himself? He also seemed so narcissistic as to be impossible to gain serious traction with other researchers of the phenomenon and openly derided them when communicating with him online.

Though I was rather taken aback by my own recordings, I spent several more years returning to the subject (and still do it on occasion and find the same WTF moments that stand out in places like battlefields or historic places in small towns (that if I was more local to I would have numerous trips before posting anything confirming what I recorded in the initial visit) and on numerous times visiting massive cemeteries would be ideal to study more of, if it didn't seem so awkward to walk around by yourself in, especially National Cemeteries where veterans might get a little antsy and paranoid about what I might be doing (hence why I kind of stopped urbex exploration as well since getting a criminal trespass thrown against me is probably far more likely since I don't seem as young and naive as I once did.

I'm not 100% sure that every recording is actual ITC/EVP phenomenon, though at least 90% probably are (though you will probably recognize in the recordings when I'm actually speaking, and the best example of my approach can be found in the EVP MP3 files:

'Damn that what; mean?!' who I believe is the William Ferneaux original the cemetery is named after, which I photographed the headstone of, who died in 1880s (which happens to also be the same date that a pioneer settler's family plot I also discovered in the area which also had some noticeable EVP when I road around on my cycling bike and recorded with a cell phone; and I'm going to add it now, titled 'Riley (pioneer) Cemetery in Carrollton, TX Sept 5 2023 5 min 27 sec evp - "You have to get out of here".' I tried returning to the plot several days later to question whether another headstone right next to the others was a sister (who married and went by a different surname but had their middle name as Riley) had died months from one another. I tried to find out if some kind of epidemic occurred, but at the time I didn't get anything confirming it because it seems the houses around it are constantly making noise, I couldn't clear up anything with any certainty, and using the cell phone is not the same thing as a high-end audio recorder (and I might go back up their with one.)

Check out files 'Shut up scientist-youre on top of the world,' 'im not worried-charlie chaplin -cont' ("why don't you stick you're neighbor? Too much to say where you are. . . He can't hear you." and initially it seemed to end the evp with a very silent female voice, "yes he can," though it's hard to make it out without proper headphones, or my hearing isn't as good anymore.) Also, if you want proof that EVP is conscious and communicates amongst each other, the file '-awesome- homer among fellowship - thats the after hour' has nothing but EVP. At the time I was standing in front of the headstones and they started tapping on the microphone, while other EVP were responding to what they were communicating. I even asked what IHS stood for and (not actually knowing) they answered "In his spirit." The cemetery overlooked a field used for agriculture and looked off into a Catholic university (now closed, called St. Joseph's College, in Rennsellear Indiana, adjacent to an 'Indian Normal school' that functioned as a university dorm, but due to declining interest in the college, the dorm became abandoned in the 1970s, and after a brief attempt to preserve the building it became abandoned completely which might have coincided with all the rape allegations from the Catholic church, etc.) I still consider myself doubtful about religion and you will find one evp noticing this and commenting "how can that be? Not a goody man. [and another EVP commenting] His Pastor.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link

Equally as good EVP are found in the folder (and I recommend saving the files to have in reference to them to review.) At the time I started EVP I was curious but skeptical, and I wanted proof that being an atheist was a rational choice, rather than professing my ignorance about what society can't even possibly comprehend. . . We don't, and anyone who says otherwise is full of themselves. I wanted to assume that it would be far easier to move on with things if I knew with full certainty that such a thing isn't possible, but the more that I investigated it and talked to people who I consider credible, the more it became very apparent that all the weird as crap that people talk about, can't possibly be excused away as confabulations or mental impairment, and it only became more confusing when despite the EVP claiming that "you find divine," that even the phenomenon behind EVP is equally unsure, and seem equally perplexed and conscious as if they were still alive 150+ years later.) This is one of the reasons amongst many I didn't ever bother to pursue any scientific career because it became pretty damn evident that the foundations of our knowledge will constantly be in denial about such possibilities (because we really have no genuine way to confirm how gloriously ignorant we are.)

These are 100% real phenomena and though I've attempted to bring this up on numerous occasions, I only become increasingly more weary of society and either it's incompetence or its cognitive miser attitude towards the subject (and no, too many people who study the phenomenon are doing the wrong damn thing when analyzing the subject, using their "spirit box" or other nonsense; which albeit, might actually work but likely has so many unscrupulous scam artists and potential for misuse that nothing conclusive could ever be made of it. What's in that file folder is probably close to 1000 hours of recording and looking over it to try and find credible claims of the subject.

And using a Faraday cage is not the answer though it would be interesting if cemeteries around the country could have a contraption set up to isolate the sound but potentially make it possible for something to show up inside it (kind of like a rat cage) but I wonder if it would be similar to how a ghost from the 1800's refers to a camcorder as "machine's out" while having the battery depleted on it, which amongst other things has also happened in those files (similarly the same spot had the camcorder shake in other visits, while walking down the staircase, which you will find mini-DV tape screen captures, which seems to show multiple irregularities that wouldn't show up unless something physically occupied the space in-between the stair rails, etc.)

I stopped watching TV around this time when I realized what Carl Sagan was talking about, where society falls prey to the ignorance of the crowd and loses scientific integrity bourne out of intentional misdirection (since creating fodder for the masses is more profitable and easy to appeal to than making something which challenges people.)

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:27 am

Alexander Grothendieck
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Grothendieck

Audio playback can bypass the paywall.

The Mysterious Disappearance of a Revolutionary Mathematician
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022 ... zWfccx9cwT

Materialism in academia is a fundamentalist belief system
https://www.essentiafoundation.org/mate ... m/reading/

How a neuroscientist came to embrace the reality of acausal synchronicities
https://www.essentiafoundation.org/how- ... s/reading/

Kryptos, The CIA Sculpture With A Coded Message That No One Has Been Able To Solve
https://allthatsinteresting.com/kryptos

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:08 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness ... -diseases/
an annual flu vaccination for three consecutive years reduced the dementia risk 20 percent over the next four to eight years, while six shots doubled it to a 40-percent reduction...

In another study, his team found similar results with vaccines for other infectious diseases, including shingles, pneumococcal pneumonia and the combination of tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (whooping cough), known as Tdap, or with tetanus and diphtheria without the pertussis component.