The food and drink thread

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

The food and drink thread

Post by Madrigal » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:52 pm

I'm gonna have a Sangre de Toro Reserva today. Ferrus, it's a Catalan wine I think, do you guys drink it a lot? Is it consdered cheap? I had two other varieties of this brand and and it seemed almost like water, but I keep giving it a chance because I like anything with a bull on it. xD

Picture from the internet

Tags:

MoneyJungle

Re: The food and drink thread

Post by MoneyJungle » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:46 am

The only alcohol I can think of with a bull on it

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:48 am

Some beer I like.

Autochthonic

Post by Autochthonic » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:41 am

GUEST_ffa1f253-75fd-4eaa-ac8d-ed136edf9a4b.jpeg
GUEST_ffa1f253-75fd-4eaa-ac8d-ed136edf9a4b.jpeg (69.98 KiB) Viewed 28068 times
Drake's has a distinctive style. BTW, yes that beer is 10% alcohol.

There's just a massive amount of amazing food and drink options around here. Probably the best I've ever experienced anywhere in the world. They opened a new Afghani restaurant in a plaza near me that we'll probably try next. When we spotted them and dropped in, they were wonderfully friendly and gave us free samples of their food. Delicious stuff! I like Afghani food, but there hasn't been a good place near my house before.

COVID hasn't been good for the restaurant scene here. A lot of my favorites made it though. The Nepalese place I like so much survived. My Spice Monkey restaurant went, but got replaced by Senor Sisig which is a Filipino/Mexican fusion restaurant.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:27 pm

Munny, I would try that just for the bull. :happy:

This last Sangre de Toro was good but not worth paying double the price of an equally good Chilean wine, so I won't be getting it again. It also took a while to open up, it starts out a bit sour. (I might get one if it comes with the plastic bull on the top the way some of their bottles do though :p)

I think this cab/syrah blend by Toro de Piedra might actually be my favorite wine ever. I haven't found it again since I bought it that one time, though. It costs less than 10 dollars. After that, I started trying cab/syrah blends from other vineyards and I find that they're often really good wines. I like them more than just straight up cabernet or syrah.

Autochthonic wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:41 am
COVID hasn't been good for the restaurant scene here. A lot of my favorites made it though. The Nepalese place I like so much survived. My Spice Monkey restaurant went, but got replaced by Senor Sisig which is a Filipino/Mexican fusion restaurant.
I can't even imagine how tough it has been for small ethnic food restaurants (is it even politically correct to say 'ethnic food' anymore?). I guess you must have ordered take-out from them to support them during the pandemic?

Nothing that sophisticated here, I'm happy to have found a couple of decent pizza places in the new neighborhood, although nothing compares to the Argentine one of course. :p

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:35 pm

This is the 'drink thread' not the food and drink thread :wink:

Drinking a Montepulciano (Stefano Di Blasi), its quite nice. Can't say I am much of an aficionado though as am a recent convert to red wine.

Also had a few beers (box of Warsteiner).

Didn't bother eating as been busy.

Autochthonic

Post by Autochthonic » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:54 am

Madrigal wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:27 pm
I can't even imagine how tough it has been for small ethnic food restaurants (is it even politically correct to say 'ethnic food' anymore?). I guess you must have ordered take-out from them to support them during the pandemic?

Nothing that sophisticated here, I'm happy to have found a couple of decent pizza places in the new neighborhood, although nothing compares to the Argentine one of course. :p
Well ... the Bay Area is fantastic as a food destination. The term "ethnic food" doesn't seem to set off people's bells as being politically incorrect, but also there are really extremely high-end restaurants that in another place would be "small ethnic restaurants". In particular, Thai and Vietnamese food have some really big popular and mainstream food institutions.

Ha. Actually, there's a place that insists on writing the name of the restaurant in Vietnamese. No one even knows how to pronounce it so everyone local refers to it as "Kevin's" after the owner's son.

Yeah, I've got my son hooked on Nepalese and Indian food. The family that run the Nepalese place are so fun and pleasant that I would be so upset if they went out of business. I throw money at them any chance I get, and word of mouth advertise for them whenever I can.

There was a fish and chips place called Scousers that didn't make it, and I don't know where else in town you could buy a Cornish pastie.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:19 pm

I made cajun style beans and rice, except i used black beans instead of the traditional red beans because that's what I have. Used thick cut bacon and andouille sausage, and some thyme I grew myself.

TeresaJ

Post by TeresaJ » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:00 pm

Today I almost made “red” beans and rice using pinto beans since I’m out of kidney beans, but I was like, no I just can’t do it. It’s not the same.

Making white beans instead.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:09 pm

TeresaJ wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:00 pm
Today I almost made “red” beans and rice using pinto beans since I’m out of kidney beans, but I was like, no I just can’t do it. It’s not the same.

Making white beans instead.
That's a strange coincidence.