The food and drink thread

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Catoptric

Re: The food and drink thread

Post by Catoptric » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:16 pm

Bees that make honey from decomposing meat. . .
https://hasanjasim.online/rotting-flesh ... -eat-meat/

Zombie Honey would be good for marketing; from the same part of the world that refers to iguana as "chicken of the tree."

1796 madeira wine stored behind prohibition wall (recently opened.)
https://www.christies.com/features/One- ... 451-3.aspx

A list of older Madeira (port wine)
https://www.fortheloveofport.com/madeir ... tage-list/
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:13 am

I think pizzarias in NY still have grape and orange fountain drinks. I always got the orange when I was a kid, then Snapple, then real orange or grape juice if they had, and currently it's water or else I go to Dunkin, McDonalds, or Burger King for coffee. I don't drink pizza place coffee. The orange and grape drinks weren't carbonated...I was going to say I never saw an uncarbonated orange drink in the supermarket, but there's.Tang and box drinks and probably orange Hawaiian Punch, so never mind.

You know what I want though...organic milk that's just plain pasteurized, not ultrapasteurized. Maybe Whole Foods has.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:18 pm

I have not actually paid attention to what is common in fast food chains these days.

I know Pepsi has orange and grape Crush, Coke has orange and grape Fanta. I recall it used to be fairly common to find one or both flavors available, but maybe the mix of diet drinks these days (i.e. Diet Coke, Coke Zero, etc.) and sometimes caffeine free variants as well are problematic.

Poor old orange and grape sodas have probably been pushed out due to lack of soda fountain real estate.

On a personal note, if I get a craving for a Slurpee (or equivalent), grape or orange are my strong preferences. If they are not in the machine, it's no sale unless said craving is overwhelming. I can live with some other fruit flavors or cola in a pinch but they are always a let down compared to grape/orange. If I am going to risk sending my insulin levels into orbit, I better get the damn flavor I want. :mad:

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:39 pm

Senseye wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:18 pm
, grape or orange are my strong preferences. If they are not in the machine, it's no sale unless said craving is overwhelming. I can live with some other fruit flavors or cola in a pinch but they are always a let down compared to grape/orange. If I am going to risk sending my insulin levels into orbit, I better get the damn flavor I want. :mad:
I used to get the coke or cherry slurpees... but they don't have slurpees on this side of the world, as far as I know. :nope:

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:38 am

Slush Puppies were the Slurpies of my day. My crew was into them when Harmony (a card store) started selling them late 70s/early 80s - around the same time ballon kites were a local fad. And Click Clacks.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sun May 07, 2023 5:03 pm

The compelling argument for why we should be eating cane toads and feral cats
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/ ... 9dc7863a49
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:29 am

Went to a fancy Italian restaurant in Buenos Aires and realized something. My pasta is better. I guess this is what happens when you cook your own food, some restaurants become underwhelming.

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:41 am

Madrigal wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:29 am
Went to a fancy Italian restaurant in Buenos Aires and realized something. My pasta is better. I guess this is what happens when you cook your own food, some restaurants become underwhelming.
Short-order, or long-order cook? :vcool:
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

starjots

Post by starjots » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:39 pm

November was enchilada month for us. It started when we stopped at a farm stand/store in late October and purchased a half bushel of local red chile (Anaheim or 'Hatch' variety).

I've never purchased red chile fresh, usually it's already dried, and that's because it only lasts a few days before it goes bad. So I decided to learn to make red enchilada sauce.

1. Remove stem and seeds and boil for 15 minutes or so.
2. Put in blender with garlic cloves, salt, and Mexican oregano and cover with water. Blend well.
3. Put through a sieve or strainer to remove skin/seeds etc.
4. Cook a paste of 4 oz butter and 4 tablespoons flour in a pan on medium heat for a few minutes.
5. Add strained chile sauce to the paste and bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for 15 minutes.

I froze most of what I made in freezer bags in 1.5 cup portions (enough to make enchiladas for 2).

Before Thanksgiving, we had 3 out of 4 kids and their wives/boyfriends over and our fancy meal was made to order red or green enchiladas with either chicken or carne adovada (pork cooked in red chile sauce). My oldest helped as a 'line cook,' which was a lot of fun.

New Mexico enchiladas are stacked, not rolled, and quite simple to make.

Ingredients:
Enchilada sauce, red or green.
Bag of corn tortillas
Sour Cream (for red) or can of cream of chicken (for green)
Meat of choice
Cheeses of choice - something like monterey jack, asadero, medium cheddar - grated
Diced onion (white or yellow or red - not green)
Lettuce and Tomato - shredded and diced

For red enchilada sauce take aforementioned red chile sauce in a pot on stove on medium heat, add sour cream to taste (not too much).
For green enchilada sauce, I used canned green or you could make your own using similar method to red, heat on stove medium heat, add a can of cream of chicken soup and 4 oz can of green chile

In frying pan, either heat or fry corn tortillas lightly in oil until pliable. They break up if you don't heat or fry them.

Dip heated tortilla in enchilada sauce, cover well, put on an oven safe plate.
Add cheese, meat, and raw onion on top.
Repeat with another tortilla, building a stack of three layers.
Put in oven on low heat, 250 F or so, for ten minutes to warm everything up.
Serve with shredded lettuce and tomato.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:19 pm

starjots wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:39 pm
November was enchilada month for us. It started when we stopped at a farm stand/store in late October and purchased a half bushel of local red chile (Anaheim or 'Hatch' variety).

I've never purchased red chile fresh, usually it's already dried, and that's because it only lasts a few days before it goes bad. So I decided to learn to make red enchilada sauce.

1. Remove stem and seeds and boil for 15 minutes or so.
2. Put in blender with garlic cloves, salt, and Mexican oregano and cover with water. Blend well.
3. Put through a sieve or strainer to remove skin/seeds etc.
4. Cook a paste of 4 oz butter and 4 tablespoons flour in a pan on medium heat for a few minutes.
5. Add strained chile sauce to the paste and bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for 15 minutes.
I've used the 10# cans of chipotle and adobo (the ones shown here: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/del-so ... 01255.html ) and removed seeds, and then blended the puree to be placed in mason jars as puree, while using chicken bouillon/broth to make enchilada sauce. The next time I make enchiladas I might consider doing the roux (using butter and adding flour to lightly brown,) as that's something I've not seen in recipes for some reason (though it sounds like a decent approach.)

I really despise the canned enchilada sauces that are sold in stores. The chipotle puree also can be used to combine with the large bottles of Valentina hot sauce (though I would probably refrigerate it.) Canning seems to work fine for the puree and I might have used the puree many months after canning without issue (and I wouldn't be surprised if it would be pretty decent for some years if heated sufficiently for vacuum seal.)

When making enchilda the best approach is cooking a rotisserie chicken and cook it in a small amount of chicken broth (and preferably using a cast iron dutch oven using bacon grease to coat the inside.) Incorporate cumin seed to fry in the oil, and for seasoning try to use things like fenugreek, oregano, or thyme, and some kind of pepper powder for flavoring.) If it's been cooked relatively thorough it should crumble together very easily without even trying and it goes well with pinto beans. Of course it works easiest to let it cool but if you have the enchilada sauce stored away in a jar, you can incorporate half of it and let it cool to make it safer to handle, using the remainder of the enchilada sauce to coat the inside of the oven dish, lay the tortillas to coat the outside while wrapping the rows out. Adding cooked peppers could also be done (though when cooked, leave them in a tray to sweat out to then remove the outer tough layer of the capsicum, to soften it, or I think I might have once used something similar to hatch peppers I found on clearance and filled a Dutch oven with a rotisserie and the peppers to cook on high for a little bit and then simmer for about 2-3 hours.)

I highly advise making your own corn tortillas (masa farina,) as it makes a huge difference in the final outcome (though it might add another hour to prep time, though if cooking rotisserie you could probably have it ready along with pinto beans by the time it finishes cooking.) It makes it more similar to tamales when you make them from scratch (and I have yet to use a tortilla press, but I suggest using a large cutting board with one side wrapped around the bottom with a silicone pot holder to give friction to it, and flatten the tortilla dough enough to then roll it out into an oval or roundish tortilla (it doesn't have to be perfect.) When cooking on the skillet no oil should be in either the dough or the pan, etc, and the cooking time is sufficient to have another tortilla rolled out and pulled from the seran wrap, which should be able to retain shape as you toss it onto the pan (and if it folds slightly, after it cooks enough to flip, any issues with how it's placed will usually cook out once you flip it over the third time.)

Bake using toothpicks and domed foil covering, and then you can also freeze it if extra cooking trays are still freely available to not be an issue (though just wrapping in foil and plastic wrap doesn't entirely mean it will last as long, and some Tupperware will have lids for trays, which I've used in conjunction with wrap.)