The food and drink thread

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Re: The food and drink thread

Post by Madrigal » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:55 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:46 pm
My wife is ill with the omicron variant so I'm cooking.

I made a roast chicken with roast potatoes, roast sweet potatoes and carrot yesterday. Today I made a shepard's pie, mixing in peas, onions, garlic, carrots and a sprinkling of Worcester sauce with a crust made from a sprinkling of Grand Padano cheese on the mashed potatoes. Tomorrow I'm planning spagetti carbonara with some pecorino (sheep) cheese I picked up from the cheese counter, some bacon and wholemeal spagetti. :P
I didn't know you liked cooking! Yesterday we had pollo al verdeo (spring onion chicken?) which is a staple in Argentina, do you guys ever eat that?

I hope she gets well soon. Btw I read that cases in Argentina shot up to over 50k. :/

Edit: I don't remember whether you mentioned getting boosters?

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:06 pm

I recall earlier posts about him cooking. It's cool he likes it though. He's a very good esposo. :cry:
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:51 am

If anyone is thinking of cooking lasagna with rice noodles, don't waste your time.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:14 pm

I tried to make a dessert that takes moscato, and it came out wrong. However, I have discovered that I positively love moscato.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:28 pm

I've been tempted to start one of these.

Perpetual Stew simmering for nearly 50 years in a restaurant in Thailand, called Wattana Panich, advertises by having a thick layer encrusted along the edge of the pan which amazingly hasn't been noticed by health inspection.
https://nowiknow.com/perpetual-stew/

According to this article https://nypost.com/2019/07/29/this-scar ... -45-years/
a Pot-au-Feu in Perpignan, France apparently had one dating back to the year 1400 which only due to WW2 made an end of it, and one in Normandy has also been ongoing for 300 years.

Pot-au-Feu, France’s National Dish
https://www.historytoday.com/alexander-lee/pot-au-feu

About 2 days ago I started a variety 12 pack of New Belgian Voodoo Ranger IPA and will soon be starting on a croissant pizza by 'DiGiorno.'

Edit: Ancient noodles https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/noodles/author/smehra6/

Ancient Roman Cookbook https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/eth ... -coll.html

2,000 Rice wine https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2018/ ... -in-china/

Best Japanese Tempura recipes (use mayonnaise instead of egg)
https://www.chopstickchronicles.com/tempura/
Last edited by Catoptric on Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

starjots

Post by starjots » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:35 pm

With winter on we've been making hamburgers once every week or two. Doesn't sound like much, but grilling the onions/mushrooms, a little cheese, green chile, and a fat tomato slice - it's pretty good.

Still have three smaller pumpkins sitting in the living room - those need to go in the next month. Winter is wrapping up around here.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:53 am

Madrigal wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:14 pm
I tried to make a dessert that takes moscato, and it came out wrong. However, I have discovered that I positively love moscato.
Moscato is amazing.

I made Mississippi Pot Roast for the first time a couple weeks ago. I've made it two more times, now. Big thumbs up.

https://www.emmymade.com/5-ingredients- ... oast-ever/

First run:

I did 2 lbs chuck and 2 lbs brisket in the same crockpot. I also did the entire 16 oz jar of pepperoncinis, not half. No other recipe alterations. I did not find it to be overly salty, probably because I used twice as much meat. It was too much butter, it didn't all incorporate. Amazing flavor. The brisket had a better flavor/absorbed more flavor, but the chuck was more tender (and still tasted great).

Second run:

I did 2 lbs chuck and 2 lbs b'ef tips (plant-based fake beef: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81s ... L1500_.jpg). I also got a 32 oz jar of the pepperoncinis and used all of it, because they were so amazing the first time. I didn't reduce the butter amount because I was using the plant-based protein (aka was reducing the fat provided by a meat). I also added potatoes, onion, celery, bell pepper, carrots, and portabella mushrooms. Everything tasted great, but it was still too much butter.

Third run:

1.5 lbs chuck, 1.5 lbs brisket, 1 can of young green jackfruit in brine. Half a stick of butter. All the abovementioned veggies. 32 oz of pepperoncinis/juice. This one seemed waaaay hotter and way more acidic than the last few runs. The jackfruit was great (tasted great/worked great as a pot roast meat substitute), but I used a full pound less of actual meat so I figure that's why the acidity and heat seemed to be so much greater. This was a much better amount of butter, but it still doesn't fully incorporate.

Next run:

I'm planning to do jackfruit only, 16 oz pepperoncini, half a stick of butter, and all the other veggies.
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:00 pm

I quit smoking and vaping, so any cannabis I consume is oral now, and I still consume a lot of it. I have my cbg/cbd tincture that I just make with diluted distillate and it's a lifesaver. But for getting high I'm really getting into baking. I think I've got my decarb and infuse process down pretty well and I'm just having fun baking creatively without recipes. I have to leave it in there at 230 F because I want to preserve the thc, but I made some banana bread and added a bunch of extra cashew milk and the remainder of a jar of strawberry jelly and it is just delicious. It took like an hour but it's perfect. I think they tell you to bake things at a higher temp because it makes them puff up more and look better, but this texture is like the best banana bread I've ever had.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:02 am

Does anyone make a habit of having whatever food or drink it is on whatever National or Int'l "______" Day it is? I believe last Wed was National Popcorn Day. It did prompt me to go see a movie that evening but when I got to the theater I think the price of the popcorn was $8.75 and I was like seriously? I didn't get that close. My eyesight is shot. It didn't look like the machine was still on. Like, I'm not paying close to $10 w/tax for popcorn made heaven knows how much earlier in the evening. I'd expect $8.75 for a large but they didn't seem to have any other pricing options. I digress from my cheapness.

I do believe Thurs was Nat'l cheese day. Coincidently enough, I made a cheese omelet, nothing more included, for breakfast that morning without even knowing. I did go out for ribs last year on rib day. It may've been baby back rib day. They'll get so specific sometimes. Cheese pizza day. Glaze donut day. There's like a hamburger day, cheeseburger day, double cheeseburger day. I don't feel I need something free on some of the major ones but I do find it a bit particular when certain big chains offer nothing on items that are their bread & butter.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:54 pm

puerile_polyp wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:00 pm
I quit smoking and vaping
Same here, almost a year ago now. :cheers:
Spartan26 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:02 am
Does anyone make a habit of having whatever food or drink it is on whatever National or Int'l "______" Day it is? I believe last Wed was National Popcorn Day. It did prompt me to go see a movie that evening but when I got to the theater I think the price of the popcorn was $8.75 and I was like seriously? I didn't get that close. My eyesight is shot. It didn't look like the machine was still on. Like, I'm not paying close to $10 w/tax for popcorn made heaven knows how much earlier in the evening. I'd expect $8.75 for a large but they didn't seem to have any other pricing options. I digress from my cheapness.
That's pretty outrageous, I wouldn't buy popcorn for that price either. It's popped corn. It should be dirt cheap. I get they have a captive market and all that but I think they're going too far.

I wasn't aware there were national [type of food] days. Well, I can think of only one - in Argentina, the 29th of every month is gnocchi day. But my family never observed that custom.

I miss the potato ones my grandma used to make, it's so hard to make them soft and not gummy.