The food and drink thread

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Ferrus

Re: The food and drink thread

Post by Ferrus » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:23 pm

Utisz wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:13 pm
I had pizza in a random restaurant in Naples once with one of those pizza stickers on the door (whatever it meant, I didn't know). I think it was quattro formaggi. I don't remember much except that I was starving, and it was very good.
Everything sounds better in Italian.
Ex falso, quodlibet

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:18 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:23 pm
Utisz wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:13 pm
I had pizza in a random restaurant in Naples once with one of those pizza stickers on the door (whatever it meant, I didn't know). I think it was quattro formaggi. I don't remember much except that I was starving, and it was very good.
Everything sounds better in Italian.
I dunno about that (though I may be biased by the fact that Madrigal is learning Italian these days).

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:44 am

Made some incredible beef stew in my instapot. It'll last me for the week.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:02 pm

Is there any decent way to eat eggplant or should I banish it from my refrigerator.

I decided not to have rice or potatoes 5 days a week and I only know like 5 vegetables.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:16 am

Madrigal wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:02 pm
Is there any decent way to eat eggplant or should I banish it from my refrigerator.
Pasta alla norma

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... alla-norma

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:55 pm

Madrigal wrote:

I decided not to have rice or potatoes 5 days a week and I only know like 5 vegetables.
That is very Argentine of you, never been anywhere more meat and potato!

Baba ganoush is very nice, as is Mousaka.

I used to eat some good dips made from aubergine in Damascus, will ask my Syrian friend if he has the recipe and post it up tomorrow.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Tue May 18, 2021 5:28 pm

Madrigal wrote:

I just saw this. My wife cooks them filled with cheese and minced meat, that is pretty nice.

Like this:

https://www.cocinacaserayfacil.net/bere ... ada-horno/

Then again, I am such a cheese addict I tend to think anything with cheese (especially melted) is good. I think when you were in BCN with your sister and gator was there I ordered tartiflette. :D

(I pretty much always order provoleta in Argentinian restaurants.)
Ex falso, quodlibet

starjots

Post by starjots » Wed May 19, 2021 5:22 am

So on (forum-1), I posted a lot last summer about cooking from our garden. Well, we just got back from 3 weeks elsewhere while the irrigation system did the work. A lot of stuff bolted (flowered - I'm not really the gardener here, my wife is), which meant the radishes were toast.

One thing we have a lot of right now is onions. A lot of onions. Maybe fifteen or twenty pounds of onions. Does anyone have a recipe that uses, oh a couple of pounds (kilo) of onions they like?

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Wed May 19, 2021 7:09 am

starjots wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:22 am
One thing we have a lot of right now is onions. A lot of onions. Maybe fifteen or twenty pounds of onions. Does anyone have a recipe that uses, oh a couple of pounds (kilo) of onions they like?
C A R A M E L I S E

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri May 21, 2021 11:38 pm

starjots wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:22 am
So on (forum-1), I posted a lot last summer about cooking from our garden. Well, we just got back from 3 weeks elsewhere while the irrigation system did the work. A lot of stuff bolted (flowered - I'm not really the gardener here, my wife is), which meant the radishes were toast.

In Argentina, cheese & onion is practically one of the four food groups, so as a flavor it exists in a lot of meals. Cheese and onion pizza, cheese and onion empanadas, cheese and onion soufflé. Also I second the caramelizing, that is, if onion freezes well. I dunno what happens to caramelized onion after you freeze it. I know some vegetables don't really take well to freezing. If they survive it fine, I imagine it would be great to have portions of caramelized onion in the freezer every time you need any. Almost everything I make starts with an onion, and it's usually caramelized regardless of what the recipe calls for.