The food and drink thread

Worldly and otherworldly topics
starjots

Re: The food and drink thread

Post by starjots » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:00 am

Made something new today...

First two kohlrabi harvested from garden and we had some bacon that needed using. Cooked bacon and set it aside, then cooked some onion and the kohlrabi greens (chopped) in the grease. Next time, I'd cook the greens last. Cut up the kohlrabi heads french-fry style/long skinny sticks and stir fried with the onion/greens. Little garlic, salt, pepper, green chile, hot sauce. Takes a while for the kohlrabi sticks to cook, don't let it burn. Add in bacon at end with some parmesan cheese.

Tasted better than I expected, would do again.
Attachments
kohrabi.jpg
kohrabi.jpg (309.06 KiB) Viewed 3807 times

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:45 pm

Made chicken fricassée for the first time and I liked it. Gonna keep making it. :nerd:

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:37 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:45 pm
Made chicken fricassée for the first time and I liked it. Gonna keep making it. :nerd:
I've said it before but you should really try stuffed aubergines with minced meat and cheese. :P
Ex falso, quodlibet

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:38 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:37 pm
Madrigal wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:45 pm
I've said it before but you should really try stuffed aubergines with minced meat and cheese. :P
I just looked it up, apparently Spaniards eat this a lot? It looks good so I might try it next time I wanna do something new.
https://www.cocinacaserayfacil.net/bere ... ada-horno/

Do you guys ever eat puchero?

starjots

Post by starjots » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:40 am

Modified an old recipe for pumpkin pie from 1670 and updated it with more typical spices. I've made iterations of this recipe 3 different times and this version is good enough that I'll stick with it. My wife asked me to make this again for Christmas. It's not terribly sweet, you can eat it as a meal.

Pumpkin/Apple Pie (makes 2 9" pies)

4 Apples (tart or tasty, whatever variety you like)
1 med pumpkin
1/3 cup cranberry (sweetened, I used the lower sugar variety)
1/3 cup currents
2 pie crust dough, store bought
5-6 eggs
1/4 cup baking mix
butter
1 cup brown sugar or baking sugar substitute (what I use, I need to avoid too much sugar)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon mace

1. Put the crusts in the pie plates (2 pies)
2. Cut open, scrape and peel pumpkin (carefully - this is kind of dangerous, always cut away from yourself) into bite sized slices similar to what you'd do for apple pie
3. Cook pumpkin slices in butter (a few tablespoons) for 6-8 minutes, stirring to prevent burning. When they soften up, and change color they're ready. Don't cook them until they fall apart.
4. Peel and slice apples as you would for an apple pie, put 2 apples in bottom of each pie crust (on bottom)
5. Put pumpkin in large bowl, add cranberries, currents, sugar, spices. Mix a bit.
6. In a separate bowl, mix eggs and baking mix until uniform. Add to bowl with pumpkin and mix that.
7. Melt 3 additional tablespoons butter and add into the pumpkin mix, stir.
7. Pour pumpkin mix into pie crusts on top of apples
8. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes (helps brown the crust)
9. Reduce temperature to 375 and bake another 45 minutes. Let cool.

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:59 pm

You might enjoy this facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/623163814774306

To be clear, your recipe is not disgusting :) But if you enjoy looking at vintage recipes at all, this group is great for a laugh. Many folks actually make them as well and the results can be pretty hilarious.
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:40 pm

I made a clone of Goose Island bourbon county stout (easily the biggest beer I've made and I've made some very strong beer) which incidentally is just a smooth beer because it has so much malt used in it, with little bitterness from hops.
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/10672/

Evidently, the clone recipe has been removed, along with the Westvleteren clone (Saq's the Pious version) that I also bought, so if I attempt to make it again I will need to copy the printout by ordering the ingredients individually. . .

I'm not sure if the companies issue cease and desist, or if the cost of shipping large grain beer kits for free with large orders is eating a large chunk of profits (because I saw the same issue with a barleywine shipped locally that used two different boxes in order to keep the weight down just enough to prevent the cost from going up (as apparently, it's cheaper to ship two instead of one heavier box?) After I ordered it they also removed the beer, claiming it was out of order.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:43 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:38 pm
Yes, we eat it at winter. Cocido from Madrid is similar, using chickpeas but without sweetcorn. Lentils with chorizo is pretty common winter stew too.

I still haven't had locro though.
Ex falso, quodlibet

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:24 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:43 pm
Madrigal wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:38 pm
Yes, we eat it at winter. Cocido from Madrid is similar, using chickpeas but without sweetcorn. Lentils with chorizo is pretty common winter stew too.

I still haven't had locro though.
Lentils with chorizo was a winter staple growing up. I haven't found the same chorizo here (it's supposed to be chorizo colorado) so I make them with pork and bacon instead (it's been a while though - too many calories xD).

starjots

Post by starjots » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:04 am

elfsprin wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:59 pm
You might enjoy this facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/623163814774306

To be clear, your recipe is not disgusting :) But if you enjoy looking at vintage recipes at all, this group is great for a laugh. Many folks actually make them as well and the results can be pretty hilarious.
Put in my application - who knows where one will get a good idea :)

Another use for raw pumpkin that came out very well. If posting recipes is bad, I might as well be very bad.

Roasted Pork Loin w/vegetables

2-3 lb pork loin, marinated in whatever fashion (I bought mine pre-marinated and hence, am clueless)
2 lb raw pumpkin cubed medium bit sized (any winter squash with firm flesh would probably work)
1-2 lb potatoes, preferably a kind you'd like to eat w/o peeling (I used small golden variety of some kind) cut medium bite sized
1/2 lb carrots chopped
1 lg onion diced fine
1 lg apple diced
1 bell pepper diced
salt, pepper, fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, garlic (or dried, whatever you've got)
the herbs are there for flavor, don't scrimp on the rosemary, thyme, garlic
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 tablespoons butter

In large bowl, combine all vegetables, oil, spices and mix
In large roasting pan, pour vegetable mix, embed pork loin, add a few pats of butter here and there
Set oven to roast (roast not bake) at 375 F, cook uncovered for 60-75 minutes, depending on size of meat