The food and drink thread

Worldly and otherworldly topics
starjots

Re: The food and drink thread

Post by starjots » Sat May 22, 2021 4:26 am

Madrigal wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 11:38 pm
In Argentina, cheese & onion is practically one of the four food groups, so as a flavor it exists in a lot of meals. Cheese and onion pizza, cheese and onion empanadas, cheese and onion soufflé. Also I second the caramelizing, that is, if onion freezes well. I dunno what happens to caramelized onion after you freeze it. I know some vegetables don't really take well to freezing. If they survive it fine, I imagine it would be great to have portions of caramelized onion in the freezer every time you need any. Almost everything I make starts with an onion, and it's usually caramelized regardless of what the recipe calls for.
Thanks for both replies. For these cheese and onion combos, are the onions raw, lightly cooked, heavily caramelized? Whatever way, I'll give this a try.

Did make a batch of French onion soup, which involved caramelizing the hell out of a few pounds of onions in butter, some garlic, some spices and broth. It came out okay, next time will be better.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Wed May 26, 2021 1:07 am

I went to a restaurant for the first time since the pandemic started (the table was on the sidewalk). It's just one experience but I think I'm going to be consistently less than impressed with restaurant food in general. I had been eyeing people's plates as I walked by these places and thinking restaurant food looked worse than what I make. I just think the pandemic made me see eating out differently. This food for example had a lot of salt and was drowning in condiments.

Knowing this outing was coming up (with two gfs of mine, well one is just an aquaintance), I spent the last two nights with anxiety dreams of being in various groups of people without a mask on. I guess I didn't really want to do it. I think it was safe enough so I hope it's fine. :/
starjots wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:26 am
Thanks for both replies. For these cheese and onion combos, are the onions raw, lightly cooked, heavily caramelized? Whatever way, I'll give this a try.
Forgot to answer this! I think it's caramelized in the empanadas but not the pizza. That flavor of empanadas was my favorite, I'd literally daydream about them, lol.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Wed May 26, 2021 6:52 pm

Have you been vaccinated yet? Chile is going great guns on their vaccination program aren't they? Or is your immigration status (whatever it might be) in the way?

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Wed May 26, 2021 9:12 pm

chocolate is a class A narcotic. I know it! :shock: "need. more. choco..."
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu May 27, 2021 9:33 pm

Senseye wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:52 pm
Have you been vaccinated yet? Chile is going great guns on their vaccination program aren't they? Or is your immigration status (whatever it might be) in the way?
We're going tomorrow, supposedly. Yeah, they are moving fast, but most people have gotten sinovac, which provides only 50% immunity. Apparently you'd only get a mild case though. I would take whatever is available. Yes, I can get the vaccine as a temporary resident.

starjots

Post by starjots » Mon May 31, 2021 10:04 pm

I looked into Argentinian pizza and it looked a little advanced, so I found a simple recipe off an Italian website for Pizza pugliese (onion pizza). https://www.silviocicchi.com/pizzachef/ ... e/?lang=en

Used a lot of onions, cilantro, oregano, and garlic from the garden. The real bonus is the article links to a pizza dough recipe that is easy to make. Turned out good, making it again right now and adding some cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, and mushrooms from the store.

So, yup, me gusta onions and cheese :)
Last edited by starjots on Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

starjots

Post by starjots » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:17 am

A picture of said pizza.
Attachments
onion pizza.jpg
onion pizza.jpg (144.24 KiB) Viewed 4091 times

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:55 pm

starjots wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:17 am
A picture of said pizza.
This looks AMAZING.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:47 pm

Senseye wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 6:52 pm
Ooh. Shout out to all my Chilean people.

Reminds me of my high school gal pal. We were sweet on each other and she was Chilean. Acquiline nose, big eyes, the whole nine. *reverse sigh of regret* Good times ... only kissed her onced. She tried to lure me into the girls room by flashing her chonies but I wasn't interested at that point. :blush:

Later I'd sing R&B songs to her in the evenings in my narrow little closet.That's also where I kept my sex doll. *regular sigh* Great tiiimes. We're still on good terms.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

starjots

Post by starjots » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:41 am

Madrigal wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:55 pm
starjots wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:17 am
A picture of said pizza.
This looks AMAZING.
Well thanks for inspiring me to make it ;)