Podcasts, courses, documentary series, etc

Worldly and otherworldly topics
SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Re: Podcasts, courses, documentary series, etc

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:29 pm

"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

ashi

Post by ashi » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:51 am

I like emacs. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly fond of it I am. In this talk, Perry Metzger tries to explain why that might be from his perspective as a 30-year user of it.

ashi

Post by ashi » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:19 am

I consider The Fog of War (2003) to be essential viewing for anyone, but linking an illicitly uploaded two hour video may be a bit much even for me.

So, here is McNamara and director Errol Morris discussing the documentary with host Charlie Rose for a mere 52 minutes. :D

Here is a key clip from the documentary, detailing the firebombing of Japan that killed hundreds of thousands of civilians and prompted a fellow officer to say to McNamara "if we don't win this war, we'll be tried for war crimes"

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:15 am

ashi wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:51 am
I like emacs. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly fond of it I am.
Wat. Why?

In terms of character development, there's an M. Night Shyamalan-sized gap to this plot twist right here.

ashi

Post by ashi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:32 am

Utisz wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:15 am
ashi wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:51 am
I like emacs. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly fond of it I am.
Wat. Why?

In terms of character development, there's an M. Night Shyamalan-sized gap to this plot twist right here.
Unsure what I am meant to make of this or to what it refers but it is complicated. This guy I used to know, Perry Metzger, did a talk once that broadly covers many of reasons it is appealing to people of many professions and pastimes. Let me try to find an upload of the video.

But emacs use/affinity is (or at least, once was) quite common among people of my background, i.e., those from poor regions who spent years involved in remote FOSS development using 10-year-old hardware. I'm not a complete monster, though, I do visit this forum using Firefox.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:13 am

ashi wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:32 am
Unsure what I am meant to make of this or to what it refers but it is complicated. This guy I used to know, Perry Metzger, did a talk once that broadly covers many of reasons it is appealing to people of many professions and pastimes. Let me try to find an upload of the video.
I teach computer science and in these nerdy circles, and people professing love for emacs these days is a very specific flex, like you can deadlift very heavy things, like your mouse is mostly ornamental. I have some experience with emacs, limited mostly to the commands to save and exit.
But emacs use/affinity is (or at least, once was) quite common among people of my background, i.e., those from poor regions who spent years involved in remote FOSS development using 10-year-old hardware. I'm not a complete monster, though, I do visit this forum using Firefox.
I hadn't figured you for software development at all. Usually someone would have whipped that one out by this stage.

ashi

Post by ashi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:18 am

Utisz wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:13 am
I teach computer science and in these nerdy circles, and people professing love for emacs these days is a very specific flex, like you can deadlift very heavy things, like your mouse is mostly ornamental.
I suppose so but that sounds tedious and I am not inclined toward or comfortable with making such remarks about any topic or in any context.

I mean, I don't even own a mouse.

I hadn't figured you for software development at all. Usually someone would have whipped that one out by this stage.
Formerly, and I am not sure I had any reason or reasonable opportunity to mention it prior to just now. It isn't even that interesting, I only met RMS once.

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sun May 02, 2021 12:32 am

The DIY Musician's Podcast - Musicians guide to YouTube
http://web.archive.org/web/202103010700 ... dbaby.com/
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:27 am

Web of Stories - Life Stories of Remarkable People
Interviews of famous thinkers: Marvin Minsky (my favorite interview lol), Freeman Dyson, Joan Feynman, Edward Teller, Mandlebrot, John Wheeler, Donald Knuth, James Watson, et cetera.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:14 am

Utisz wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:13 am
I teach computer science and in these nerdy circles, and people professing love for emacs these days is a very specific flex, like you can deadlift very heavy things, like your mouse is mostly ornamental. I have some experience with emacs, limited mostly to the commands to save and exit.
I had a boss a few years ago who insisted on using VIM for everything as he insisted it made him more proudctive.

What it definitely meant was that he ended up extolling the virtues of only ever using one folder for all the files in the projects under the banner of 'simplicity' but I suspect mainly due to the limitating of his development enviroment.
Ex falso, quodlibet