Worldly and otherworldly topics
Sinny

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by Sinny » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:30 am

Utisz wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:18 pm
djm wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:52 am
Regards structural racism in the UK, there is no evidence whatsoever that it exists.
I think this is a very strong claim that I doubt is true.

While I don't know of specific evidence off-hand, Google leads me to some reliable-looking statistics (for the UK, from gov.uk websites) that to me constitute examples of evidence regarding structural racism in the UK:
  • Stop and Search: "In the year ending March 2020, Individuals from a Black, Asian and minority ethnic background were stopped at a rate 4.1 times higher than those who were from a White ethnic group. This was similar to the previous year when the rate was 4.3 times higher." (direct quote)
  • Ethnic Pay Gap: Data from 2019 shows that while some minorities earn more than White British, most minorities earn less than White British. The following are the pay gaps with respect to White British. The right-most columns are adjusted using regression for a variety of confounding factors (how many people from each group live in London, what are their occupations, are they married, what qualifications do they have, what is the median age of people in the group, etc.); in simpler terms, it is a statistical analysis that tries to remove all other factors that are not ethnicity:
Don't act dumb Utisz, we all know more blacks get stopped, especially in areas like London because whites are a minority there and their crimes and violence rates are exceedingly high. You can paint whatever distorted picture you want when you cherry pick stats like that.

We all have the same minimum wage, I need to take a deeper look at why those differences maybe, but I highly highly doubt it has anything to do with racism - these days being a minority comes with all sorts of perks.

Sinny

Post by Sinny » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:46 am

Utisz wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:05 pm
But you have no justification for that. You just went on a long tangent about knife crimes in minority communities as justifying higher rates of stop and search for certain ethnicities based on what exactly? What led you down that road? What made you think of that?

The statistics published by the Home Office state that 63% of stop and searches are for drugs, while only 16% are for offensive weapons. Indirectly there appears to be little difference for why different ethnicities are stopped, i.e., stops relating to offensive weapons for all ethnicities appears to be around 16% (they are not all from a minority). So even assuming what you are saying is true, it simply cannot account for black people being 8.9 times more likely to be stopped. The statistics lead heavily towards drug stops. It doesn't give more detail, but there's a lot of talk about cannabis warnings, community resolution, etc., and only 13% of stop and searches actually lead to arrest, so my best guess is that the vast majority of these stops relate to minor possession.
Lol, I've got black family in the Ethnic quarters of Birmingham, the police are right to target to blacks for drugs, that's where they'll find them :D

My cousin's fella gets stopped by the cops about 4 times a month... he's a dealer and he won't stop dealin.

lol.

I should imagine many of them are repeat offenders, the police would tell you so.

I feel like all your theory removes you from the real world.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:56 am

Sinny wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:30 am
Don't act dumb Utisz, we all know more blacks get stopped, especially in areas like London because whites are a minority there
I guess whites outnumbering blacks by nearly 5 to 1 probably makes them a minority in certain peoples eyes...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:03 am

jyng1 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:56 am
Sinny wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:30 am
Don't act dumb Utisz, we all know more blacks get stopped, especially in areas like London because whites are a minority there
I guess whites outnumbering blacks by nearly 5 to 1 probably makes them a minority in certain peoples eyes...

I hate to do the whole globalist shtick, but it looks like you're right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_ ... f%20Europe.

I guess I shouldn't tell you about that check George Soros paid me to write that page.

Roger Mexico

Post by Roger Mexico » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:45 am

I've heard the term before, but I don't know what exactly "Critical Race Theory" entails as an academic field.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:00 am

Roger Mexico wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:45 am
I've heard the term before, but I don't know what exactly "Critical Race Theory" entails as an academic field.
I was tempted to start a thread called "critical rice theory" where everyone discusses their preferred method of cooking rice. I know some people probably see that kind of thing as inane, but sometimes it can ease tensions.

MissBingo
Formerly: I enjoy mall walking

Post by MissBingo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:06 am

ferrus wrote:No I think the opposite is true, peoples situations deserve to be judged on individual merit.
I think most people agree with this. Problem is, that's not what happens. Implicit bias is unavoidable, and that is why quotas are necessary. Let's take weight for example. Slender people with equal qualifications are more likely to be hired than overweight people. Same with height. Etc.

And of course, we also have out and out bigotry. (Check out cop participation in the U.S. Jan. 6th riot)
Many cops are blatantly racist. My obvious point is that the police force needs more diversity, and if the racists are in charge of hiring with no objective oversight...no need to belabor my point.
ferrus wrote:Critical race theory wants to over-simplify the world by using a paint by numbers system of privilege,

No, you have this backwards. The system of privilege is built into our societal structure. It's in our template.
Ferrus wrote:similar to intersectional feminism (another abhorrent and flawed way of looking at life). Indeed intersectional Feminism and critical race theory go hand in hand in the UK and are espoused by the same set of organisations and people.
I don't know enough to comment.

MissBingo

Post by MissBingo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:24 am

Sinny wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:46 am
Utisz wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:05 pm
But you have no justification for that. You just went on a long tangent about knife crimes in minority communities as justifying higher rates of stop and search for certain ethnicities based on what exactly? What led you down that road? What made you think of that?

The statistics published by the Home Office state that 63% of stop and searches are for drugs, while only 16% are for offensive weapons. Indirectly there appears to be little difference for why different ethnicities are stopped, i.e., stops relating to offensive weapons for all ethnicities appears to be around 16% (they are not all from a minority). So even assuming what you are saying is true, it simply cannot account for black people being 8.9 times more likely to be stopped. The statistics lead heavily towards drug stops. It doesn't give more detail, but there's a lot of talk about cannabis warnings, community resolution, etc., and only 13% of stop and searches actually lead to arrest, so my best guess is that the vast majority of these stops relate to minor possession.
Lol, I've got black family in the Ethnic quarters of Birmingham, the police are right to target to blacks for drugs, that's where they'll find them :D

My cousin's fella gets stopped by the cops about 4 times a month... he's a dealer and he won't stop dealin.

lol.

I should imagine many of them are repeat offenders, the police would tell you so.

I feel like all your theory removes you from the real world.
See, this kind of argument misses the point. Most people are reluctant to even entertain the thought that maybe cops stop and arrest blacks more because black people do indeed commit more crimes. If they do, why is that? Crime goes up among oppressed groups of poor socio-economic status. If black people commit more crime, I just see that as further evidence of systemic racism.

MissBingo

Post by MissBingo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:35 am

Another thought. Minority disadvantages start at birth. Any minority. These individuals have grown up being treated - subtly or not - differently from mainstream "acceptable" people. They have a lower self-esteem. They may not have the benefit of good schools and a comfortable family life. They are always different, and chances are that plenty of people have ostracized them for it. That creates bitterness and hopelessness, which can lead someone to say "fuck it."

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:09 pm

MissBingo wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:24 am
See, this kind of argument misses the point. Most people are reluctant to even entertain the thought that maybe cops stop and arrest blacks more because black people do indeed commit more crimes. If they do, why is that? Crime goes up among oppressed groups of poor socio-economic status. If black people commit more crime, I just see that as further evidence of systemic racism.
I can only comment on my own country, the UK which is very different to the US.

In the UK proper statistical analysis does not show this. There are plenty of poor white people, indeed working class white communities have the worst outcomes for young men in the UK for many key metrcs notably education. Violent crime here is a specific issue in some areas of London and larger UK cities. The search policy there has had a very good effect and has saved many lives of young people in those areas. The community as a whole supports the policy, it is a few noisy pressure groups that cite racism.

Furthermore there is not a shred of evidence that there is any institutional racism in the UK whatsoever, and every time any serious investigation is done of numbers this is bourne out. Indeed a report published today showing just that. As usual there have been howls of indignation from the usual pressure groups who like to spout nonsense in the absence of evidence to support their divisive rhetoric.

There is a vested interest in these organisations in peddling this garbage, they make fortunes out of it.