Critical Race Theory

Worldly and otherworldly topics
avolkiteshvara

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by avolkiteshvara » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:06 pm

Roger Mexico wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:45 am
I've heard the term before, but I don't know what exactly "Critical Race Theory" entails as an academic field.
Critical as in deconstruct or dismantle. So identifying how societal structures unfairly impact your favorite "race" and looking to dismantle that thing. What's missing from critical theories as was popular in the 1960s was a reconstruction piece. So it wasn't just pointing out bad stuff and saying "cops unfairly stop more Blacks, abolish the police" it was "cops unfairly stop more Blacks, here is how you fix it."

So as currently practiced it's really "we think[no data needed] this societal structure unfair to minority [x], therefore it needs to be cancelled".

Inherent is the idea of original sin. If you're a straight white male, you are racist. It doesn't matter if you are married to someone who is Black or even have Black children. Being born in the US/UK imbues you [no data or proof required, that would be racist to ask for] with racist tendencies you aren't even aware of. So to be a good ALLY, you have to admit you're a racist, and give up your privilege to historically discriminated groups. Privilege being monetary or power based positions.

Starting to sound like gaslighting yet????

Also, structural racism is imbedded into everything, no matter the outcome.
MissBingo wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:06 am

See, this kind of argument misses the point. Most people are reluctant to even entertain the thought that maybe cops stop and arrest blacks more because black people do indeed commit more crimes. If they do, why is that? Crime goes up among oppressed groups of poor socio-economic status. If black people commit more crime, I just see that as further evidence of systemic racism.
So this person here is saying that if Black people get stopped more because they commit more crime, it's because of systemic racism. He/she would also say the opposite is true. If Blacks committed less crime and get stopped more, that is also evidence of racism.

This is pretty standard thought process. One of the proponents of CRT, Robin di Angelo uses a similar example. She said if a white man and a black man both walk into clothing store, and the clerk offers to help the black guy first, it's because he doesn't want to be seen as being racist. But if he helps the white guy first, he is obviously racist. There's this idea of presumed guilt.

This whole grift works because liberal white people are scared to death of being labeled racist. I think I saw a poll somewhere where Liberal White people would rather be called murders or rapists rather than racist.
Last edited by avolkiteshvara on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:34 pm

avolkiteshvara wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:06 pm
This is pretty standard thought process. One of the proponents of CRT, Robin di Angelo uses a similar example. She said if a white man and a black man both walk into clothing store, and the clerk offers to help the black guy first, it's because he doesn't want to be seen as being racist. But if he helps the white guy first, he is obviously racist. There's this idea of presumed guilt.

This whole grift works because liberal white people are scared to death of being labeled racist. I think I saw a poll somewhere where Liberal White people would rather be called murders or rapists rather than racist.
This is why believing this nonsense is the preserve of wealthy middle-class white people, and treated with the contempt it deserves by working-class white people.

In the UK this tosh is believed by the liberal elite (of all shades) in universities, arts, media and the public sector (which is infested with this racist garbage). It is wearing very thin with the general population. Listening to millionaire musicians and sportsmen opining about their lack of privilege, listening to public school educated journalists that have never experienced any poverty opining about 'white privilege is so hubristic as to beggar belief.

It fundamentally undermines any efforts to stop actual racism, as the meaning of the word racism is being used erroneously far too often. It's getting to the point where if someone called me racist I would just toll my eyes, the term is getting to be meaningless.

avolkiteshvara

Post by avolkiteshvara » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:52 pm

djm wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:34 pm
This is why believing this nonsense is the preserve of wealthy middle-class white people, and treated with the contempt it deserves by working-class white people.
Yeah the people that spout this nonesense, I've got to wonder if they've ever been to a 3rd world country. I'd go as far as White, Latino, and even Black working class have no interest in this. It's the preserve of educated people vying for power.
djm wrote:
In the UK this tosh is believed by the liberal elite (of all shades) in universities, arts, media and the public sector (which is infested with this racist garbage). It is wearing very thin with the general population. Listening to millionaire musicians and sportsmen opining about their lack of privilege, listening to public school educated journalists that have never experienced any poverty opining about 'white privilege is so hubristic as to beggar belief.
I do think most of the administrators at Universities know better. But they're hoping if they throw their colleagues under the bus, they'll be preserved. It's fear of job loss. Not being enough to the invisible "Dear Leader."
djm wrote:
It fundamentally undermines any efforts to stop actual racism, as the meaning of the word racism is being used erroneously far too often. It's getting to the point where if someone called me racist I would just toll my eyes, the term is getting to be meaningless.
Yes. It's really an injustice. Critical theorists have turned everything into racism and desensitized our society to actual racism. Getting a bad mark on a math test, racism. Ahmaud Arbey getting lynched down in Georgia, racism.

djm

Post by djm » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:02 pm

avolkiteshvara wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:52 pm
I do think most of the administrators at Universities know better. But they're hoping if they throw their colleagues under the bus, they'll be preserved. It's fear of job loss. Not being enough to the invisible "Dear Leader."
I think the great Winston Churchill puts this best...

djm

Post by djm » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:20 pm

MissBingo wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:06 am
I think most people agree with this. Problem is, that's not what happens. Implicit bias is unavoidable, and that is why quotas are necessary. Let's take weight for example. Slender people with equal qualifications are more likely to be hired than overweight people. Same with height. Etc.
Sorry can't agree. Quotas are inherently unfair and just create social problems. Why on earth should a poor white person be passed over for a middle-class minority person with equal qualifications Edit - or vice versa). How is this fair? These policies just make it harder for minority workers who have to put up with suspicions that they only got the job due to a quota.

You make a point about fit people vs slobs, but who in their right mind would choose a walking health problem over an equally competent fit person. I don't think many business owners give a flying toss about colour, they just want the best person for the job. Quotas are the preserve of big business and the public sector (other peoples money).

Furthermore this sort of thing is only ever applied very selectively. Industries with perceived unfair stats are picked out, but ones with opposite skews are ignored. Anyone can selectively find examples to make a point. In my county the Business of the Year (deservedly) last year was a Tile retailer. Their staff is nearly exclusively asian. I doubt the 'diversity police' will be highlighting this one.

TeresaJ

Post by TeresaJ » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:58 pm

I thought this documentary was highly pertinent to the discussion.