Stonks

Worldly and otherworldly topics
djm
Formerly: djm

Re: Stonks

Post by djm » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:18 pm

A got some and did well. I don't feel comfortable buying stock that I know is objectively crap. A made more money than me though so shows what I know!

I am more boring and stick to stock I actually think is undervalued. I put £2.2k in over the last 8 months and am up 1.3k now, so not stratospheric but a lot better than a savings account. Did well on Ford, Goodyear, Harley Davidson, Levi Strauss, Rolls Royce, John Deere, caterpillar, Jungheinrich which were all businesses I thought had been oversold. Up more than 50% on that lot.

Bought a few stocks just because I like the products. Nintendo, Starbucks, Heineken, John Deere, Toyota, made a profit but not so large.

Then companies I know more about, or sell stuff to (fertiliser and ag suppliers). Sasol, ICL, Nutrien, Mosaic, K+S, KWS Saat, For Farmers - all doing well. Most up between 25% and 100%

Sustainable products stock is a mixed bag. Crop Energies, Nel, Centrotec, Sun all go up and down sharply.

Lithium and mining stocks I have lost my arse on, but will hold as should long term be a good bet.

Don't think I will be giving up the day job anytime soon, but I kind of enjoy owning bits of companies I like. Appeals to the stamp collector in me.

Autochthonic

Post by Autochthonic » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:40 pm

CRISPR stocks are my newest buy-and-hold long term investments.

I don't play with fad stocks like GME. Well ... I bought a bunch of Tesla, which turned out to be a good choice. Dunno if you'd call it a fad stock. I also bought stock in their EV start-up rival Fisker.

When they were way down, I bought a bunch of Exxon and some American Airlines stock. I'm hopeful both will rebound.

I'm really big on buying legal cannabis ETFs. The individual companies are fly by night enough I don't feel comfortable investing, but broadly I think the legal cannabis industry is going to flourish.

I was skeptical of the Bitcoin thing, although I own a bunch of it. Seems a bit like playing roulette even more so than usual buying of individual stocks. I bought a few ETFs of blockchain tech companies though. More like investing in shovels and mining gear during a goldrush, and those ETFs have done quite well.

If you're ever really, really bored you can read up on U.S. military purchasing plans and then invest in companies that do things like manufacturing electrical subsystems for nuclear submarines when the navy is about to commission a bunch of new boats. They always go up in value, each of those subs is a several billion dollar long term contract for the companies involved.

Stigmata

Post by Stigmata » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:12 am

djm wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:18 pm
A got some and did well. I don't feel comfortable buying stock that I know is objectively crap. A made more money than me though so shows what I know!

I am more boring and stick to stock I actually think is undervalued. I put £2.2k in over the last 8 months and am up 1.3k now, so not stratospheric but a lot better than a savings account. Did well on Ford, Goodyear, Harley Davidson, Levi Strauss, Rolls Royce, John Deere, caterpillar, Jungheinrich which were all businesses I thought had been oversold. Up more than 50% on that lot.

Bought a few stocks just because I like the products. Nintendo, Starbucks, Heineken, John Deere, Toyota, made a profit but not so large.

Then companies I know more about, or sell stuff to (fertiliser and ag suppliers). Sasol, ICL, Nutrien, Mosaic, K+S, KWS Saat, For Farmers - all doing well. Most up between 25% and 100%

Sustainable products stock is a mixed bag. Crop Energies, Nel, Centrotec, Sun all go up and down sharply.

Lithium and mining stocks I have lost my arse on, but will hold as should long term be a good bet.

Don't think I will be giving up the day job anytime soon, but I kind of enjoy owning bits of companies I like. Appeals to the stamp collector in me.
Finally, a genuine "I like the stock".

Autochthonic

Post by Autochthonic » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:18 pm

"I like the stock!" a quote you hear from every investor in weed stocks. Go GTBIF?

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:53 pm

Autochthonic wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:18 pm
"I like the stock!" a quote you hear from every investor in weed stocks. Go GTBIF?
I have a weed stock. It's way overvalued and is prone to wide price swings, but I am in for the long haul. I believe the product itself has great long term profitability potential. It seems to have significant consumer demand.

I'm almost 100% certain about the consumer demand, god only knows if I have picked the right stock. Hopefully, it will be a winner or be acquired by a winner.

At least I see a future for pot, unlike say, a brick and mortar game seller.

Autochthonic

Post by Autochthonic » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:06 pm

Senseye wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:53 pm
I have a weed stock. It's way overvalued and is prone to wide price swings, but I am in for the long haul. I believe the product itself has great long term profitability potential. It seems to have significant consumer demand.

I'm almost 100% certain about the consumer demand, god only knows if I have picked the right stock. Hopefully, it will be a winner or be acquired by a winner.

At least I see a future for pot, unlike say, a brick and mortar game seller.
This is why I like to buy weed ETFs instead of individual stocks. I've got a few individual ones but only a few. Like you, I'm strongly confident in the future of the industry but not educated about it or confident in my ability to know good companies from bad ones.

djm

Post by djm » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:46 pm

Stigmata wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:12 am
Finally, a genuine "I like the stock".
As idealistic as it seems (and I am not an idealist by nature), I am firmly of the opinion that nobody should buy stock they not actually like.

When I was running a listed company (one I founded) I oftentimes used to tell fund managers that I didn't want them on board when I felt they didn't buy in to my vision. I remember when I was preparing for float and the secretary for the fund manager for Blackrock told me they were very busy and I would only have 5 minutes for an 'elevator pitch'. I told them to tell him I wouldn't bother, and that he was wasting my time and his. That I couldn't properly explain my business in 5 minutes, and wouldn't want an institutional stockholder that was not good enough at their job to research properly. They gave me 3 hours and put £2m in.

I digress, but to get back to the point, you really should be buying things that you like, that you think are value, that you think are good businesses.

I sell anything if they start behaving badly. This month I ditched Coca Cola, as I think a company that is so ridiculous it has training courses telling executives to be 'less white' doesn't need me as a rather pasty looking (very minor) shareholder.

djm

Post by djm » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:04 pm

Will be taking the profit out of US stocks that are overly dependent on the US market next week, I can't hold stocks in companies under the jurisdiction of an economic imbecile. Bidens stewardship of the American economy is approaching cretinous now.

Moving into more British stocks, as they seem to be least worst managed major economy at the moment. Will hold all my stocks in ag inputs regardless of what economy there operate in.

DJ Drug Problem
Formerly: DJ Fresh Produce

Post by DJ Drug Problem » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:38 pm

heh fedoras
Last edited by DJ Drug Problem on Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:29 am

DJ Drug Problem wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:38 pm
Biden has been publicly shaming wall street and threatening to double the capital gains tax...
Double the capital gains tax for those poor souls with only $1 million of annual income. I suspect they will be able to scrape by even if they can't shelter all their assets off shore (which I suspect many of those in that club can and probably already do).