Worldly and otherworldly topics
Spartan26

Re: Media Consumption & Cost

Post by Spartan26 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:05 am

starla wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:13 am
Spartan26 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:15 am
Second question, have you seen the series called The Patriot?
Never heard of it.
I don't really know your tastes. I think it could go either way for you. If you can muster 3 episodes let me know. This almost more out of curiosity than a recommendation. I've only seen season 1. I let my Amazon subscription pass or else season 2 would've been top on my list. Also, for the sake of the experiment, might I request you go in as blind to the series as you currently are?

ashi

Post by ashi » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:41 am

Utisz wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:59 am
JohnClay wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:34 am
I pay AUS$15 a month for YouTube Premium and about AUS$14 a month for Netflix. I am signed into many YouTube devices including computers, TVs, my phone and my wife's iPad. This means I never get ads.
Do you not use AdBlock?

Do people not use AdBlock?

I can't imagine a world without AdBlock.
JohnClay wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:03 am
I used to use AdBlock but the last time I had to reset MacOS I forgot about it... also I don't think you can use AdBlock when using YouTube with a TV or my wife's iPad or my phone's YouTube app....
BTW I find it interesting to see targeted ads for companies, etc, that I had visited.... including Commission Hero (which is a get rich quick scheme I have an opposing site about)
I heard a rumour, admittedly perhaps too good to be true, that there are a wide range of reputable proxy and VPN software and services that are compatible with MacOS/iOS or can be configured at the router level to strip ads from every connection in your home even the most robust and feature rich of which are all either free or cost much less than $15/month.

But of course I certainly couldn't say.

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:57 pm

ashi wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:41 am
I heard a rumour, admittedly perhaps too good to be true, that there are a wide range of reputable proxy and VPN software and services that are compatible with MacOS/iOS or can be configured at the router level to strip ads from every connection in your home even the most robust and feature rich of which are all either free or cost much less than $15/month.

The thing is I often use my YouTube account with my phone when I'm out and about...

DJ Drug Problem
Formerly: DJ Fresh Produce

Post by DJ Drug Problem » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:55 pm

Putlocker and twitch. Paying subscriptions is how people get MILKED like ANIMALS

I won't even subscribe to certain streamers I really enjoy because they're getting paid good enough already and I need the money more for me.

I am at a point where I really dislike inhaling other people's stories. Unless they're radically marxist I just don't think they mean me well.

I made one exception for the mandalorian because I like what they did to Gina carano. Disney is evil but the back catalog for expanded universe stuff that has nothing to do with george lucas is ripe for plundering. It's so good it's almost not embarrassing.

Somebody signed me up for Bon appetit magazine and I really appreciate it though

Oh and you can find my hypocrisy in steam games I don't play. I don't think I like video games anymore but I keep fucking buying them like an idiot.

starla

Post by starla » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:40 am

Spartan26 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:05 am
I don't really know your tastes. I think it could go either way for you. If you can muster 3 episodes let me know. This almost more out of curiosity than a recommendation. I've only seen season 1. I let my Amazon subscription pass or else season 2 would've been top on my list. Also, for the sake of the experiment, might I request you go in as blind to the series as you currently are?
I hate to be one of those douchebags that says "I don't really watch TV", but I don't really watch TV. Rhinosaur does though so I'll recommend it to him (or tell him your recommended it to me) and often when he watches things I end up watching it by default (and then about 50% of the time he wanders off leaving the TV yammering at me in his absence but that is a topic for the little rants thread...) so I'll get back to you. Maybe. If I watch it I will go in blind.

ashi

Post by ashi » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:46 am

JohnClay wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:57 pm
ashi wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:41 am

The thing is I often use my YouTube account with my phone when I'm out and about...
As I said, such software/services are compatible with phones. I use protonvpn on mine, which includes optional ad filtering, but my point was not to recommend any particular one only to communicate that they exist and work well.

starla

Post by starla » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:30 am

So far The Patriot is a sausage fest. Also we’re not sure this is the right Patriot.

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:41 am

ashi wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:46 am
As I said, such software/services are compatible with phones. I use protonvpn on mine, which includes optional ad filtering, but my point was not to recommend any particular one only to communicate that they exist and work well.
My wife uses YouTube on her iPad a lot and it only supports iOS 9 so most apps don't work. If I can't get an alternative to YouTube premium working on all of my devices easily then I'd rather just use YouTube premium. As far as VPN goes mine doesn't seem to work with Netflix (and I also use Netflix on my phone [without VPN]).

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:04 am

Well for my wife's party tonight I put on YouTube on the TV.... with no ads... :)

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:22 am

Now I subscribed to Corriere della Sera because it cost 1 euro a month for 6 months. Sounds like a deal. I'm also listening to a RAI radio show on current events, this is free.

There's an italian boy band I started listening to for the same purposes, I'm not sure if that counts.