Do you eat while on the computer?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
JohnClay

Do you eat while on the computer?

Post by JohnClay » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:58 am

I usually eat my meals in front of my computer and sometimes watching the TV. When I visit my parents they make me eat with them at the dinner table.
My wife usually eats her meals while watching TV but sometimes eats them in bed watching videos on her iPad.

Tags:

starjots

Re: Do you eat while on the computer?

Post by starjots » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:13 am

After filling out Spartan's media consumption survey, I'm relieved to say I almost always eat at the dinner table or in the kitchen. Whew!

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:20 am

BTW when I used to have a programming job the boss said I wasn't allowed to eat in front of the computer....

Light Leak

Post by Light Leak » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:50 pm

I eat meals at the kitchen table. I eat snacks in front of the TV or computer. When I worked in the office I used to eat lunch at my desk, but that was really the only place to eat it.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:47 pm

Apparently there was a huge controversy in France because of employees being allowed to eat at their desk due to Covid. Not sure if they changed the law forbidding it or if this is just an exceptional measure.

I only snack at my desk, and of course have coffee on it all the time. I used to drink mate at the comp but there was no way to avoid the occasional spill of yerba and tea over the keyboard somehow.

Stigmata

Post by Stigmata » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:45 am

Yes, and I use my keyboard as a bib. There's enough half-chewed remains in my keyboard to feed half of Noah's ark.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:51 pm

I do if I am watching video, other computer tasks require one's fingers which interrupts the eating process.

More often I just eat in front of the TV. Ain't no point in eating at the table if you are single.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:15 am

At work, we're not allowed to eat food at our desk due to covid restrictions. This was hard for me as I liked to eat my oatmeal gradually each morning as I worked. Had been doing that for 15+ years at different jobs. At home, I may have some nuts, fruit, chips or cookies to snack on sporadically. If I'm eating a full meal then I'll turn my chair around to look at my TV on the wall and ignore my computer. I will periodically take my computer into the living room to work on stuff in between eating and watching a game that has greater meaning to me.

There's not a lot of room on my desk but still, I don't like being too preoccupied with eating to be able to type or vice versa. I keep my drinks on the ground beside me. I get pretty paranoid about spilling something onto my computer or extended keyboard, which I've done before and then my k & l keys stopped working.

Lilith

Post by Lilith » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:10 am

Guilty.

I work from home so I usually have coffee for breakfast and eat lunch at my desk. I do have a box of napkin, a pack of disinfecting wipes and trash within reach though. This arrangement has worked for me since March last year. I also confess I eat lunch while working. I know this is a bad habit especially when you are working remotely, but I want to squeeze as much time as I can during lunchbreak to finish what I need to do for the day so I can clock out early to pick up my kindergartener. :D

Limey

Post by Limey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:40 pm

No. My mouse and keyboard are fairly old, scratched and dusty, but I'm pretty sure there isn't much food particulate on them.

Wanting to keep my hands clean stems from a very early childhood memory of someone chuckling about future possibilities of keep clean hands as an adult with a job. Challenge accepted.

FWIW, I also dislike directly touching my food. I will eat pizza with a knife and fork.