Do you eat while on the computer?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Re: Do you eat while on the computer?

Post by Madrigal » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:29 pm

Limey wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:40 pm
FWIW, I also dislike directly touching my food. I will eat pizza with a knife and fork.
I used to do this too, but I think it's especially due to the fact Argentine pizza typically looks like this:

Or at least, it should look like that.

That pic was taken at a 1930s pizza parlor where I used to eat every day, because it was right next to my office. A slice of that and some coke was pure happiness. When I was on the night shift, one of the (cheapskate) Italians would ask the pizzeria for leftover slices before closing time, lol. We'd all have a slice after midnight and then fall asleep.

Here in Chile they do that gringo thin pizza with the toasty cheese that doesn't get your hands dirty, and I stopped eating it with a knife and fork.

Ptah

Post by Ptah » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:46 am

Routinely. Almost exclusively. Since I've been single, anyhow.

Same for lunch at work. I bring something in or pick something up and eat it at my desk/computer.

Mainly because I prefer to keep doing whatever I'm doing at the computer. Eating is a mere necessity to be disposed of secondarily, as such.

To this end, I have honed my diet to eat things that have little or no sause, no condiments to fall loose, do not result in crumbs, etc. Dry basic sandwiches and the like. Things which I eat in order to satisfy hunger in such a way to leave me free to do what I'd prefer to be doing.
Last edited by Ptah on Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Autochthonic

Post by Autochthonic » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:55 am

Madrigal wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:29 pm
Is that something you would have to eat with a knife and fork, or could you pick up and eat a slice?

It also kind of looks like something that would mostly be eaten late at night when the bars kick people out.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:05 am

Autochthonic wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:55 am
Madrigal wrote:
Is that something you would have to eat with a knife and fork, or could you pick up and eat a slice?

It also kind of looks like something that would mostly be eaten late at night when the bars kick people out.
If you pick it up with your hand, the runny cheese will burn you. I tried that.

Yes, most kitchens stay open until midnight in Bs As, some until 1 or 2 am. I remember when I was in San Diego and the restarants closed their kitchens at 9 pm (I think it was 9 and not something even more ridiculous than that), I was incensed. xD

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:04 am

Limey wrote:
FWIW, I also dislike directly touching my food. I will eat pizza with a knife and fork.
Do you eat fruit? With utensils?

Limey

Post by Limey » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:56 am

JohnClay wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:04 am
Limey wrote:
Do you eat fruit? With utensils?
Only bananas and only sliced onto crunchy nut cornflakes. All other fruit in the form of a smoothie. Nothing I have to touch.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:25 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:05 am
Autochthonic wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:55 am
Madrigal wrote:

If you pick it up with your hand, the runny cheese will burn you. I tried that.

Yes, most kitchens stay open until midnight in Bs As, some until 1 or 2 am. I remember when I was in San Diego and the restarants closed their kitchens at 9 pm (I think it was 9 and not something even more ridiculous than that), I was incensed. xD
I had a similar culture shock UK -> Spain, where restaurants and bars are sometimes open to 3 or 4 am. In a small British town in it is dead after 5pm except the pubs which also usually close before midnight.
Ex falso, quodlibet

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:41 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:25 pm

I had a similar culture shock UK -> Spain, where restaurants and bars are sometimes open to 3 or 4 am. In a small British town in it is dead after 5pm except the pubs which also usually close before midnight.
Yeah, in Argentina they tend to stay open well after the kitchen has closed. So you can order dinner until midnight, but after that you're stuck with stuff like sandwiches or empanadas until closing time, which could be until 4 as well. There are a few places that stay open all night but that's become rare.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:17 am

No, never. I don't have a place to put a plate except my lap. My keyboard is on a narrow stand that I made and the monitor is on a cluttered table. I don't use a laptop.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:06 pm

It's gotten so bad I spill liquids on my keyboard. Even though the pc is only six months old. The thrill is gone.

Also, I spilled a little extra after binge watching Y The Last Man. I know what it feels like to be the accidental genius trope. FML. I want a royalty check or a high five... I'm a meme. Okay, BML! :nod:
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi