Volunteering

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Lilith

Re: Volunteering

Post by Lilith » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:59 am

I volunteer occasionally. When I do, I pick out the ones that the local community could benefit from the collective effort - like community cleanup or park restoration. I was cynical about this when I was younger. My reason is that volunteering doesn't really have an impact as some schools and organizations would want one to believe and that humans are generally lazy and selfish anyway. These organizations just want free labor...and then I met a young woman who made me realized the flaw in my view. I don't volunteer at food banks or any of those that involves handing out free food/stuff though. I was part of a relief operation in the past and it was just horrible. It gives you a peek at how greedy people can be.

Randall

Re: Volunteering

Post by Randall » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:34 am

Not currently. I've helped with food banks, canvassing, parades, but not in a very long time. For a while I helped out on a mental health/suicide prevention forum, but haven't done so in a couple years. Last year I befriended a man with some kind mental handicap, it's not Down Syndrome, but similar... anyway we used to talk several times a week pre-COVID, I guess that's kind of volunteering.