Gun culture in the US

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Re: Gun culture in the US

Post by Madrigal » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:30 am

jyng1 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:25 am

And they come back with an Australian accent, no family, no social connections and an attitude.
You guys all sound the same to me. :P

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:36 am

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:30 am
jyng1 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:25 am

And they come back with an Australian accent, no family, no social connections and an attitude.
You guys all sound the same to me. :P
Maate, you're dreaming.

starla

Post by starla » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:45 am

djm wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:02 pm
What is your attitude to firearm ownership?
Indifferent. I'm fine with it as my individual risk of dying from a mass shooting is very low. I'm not in an abusive relationship so not too worried about being shot by my husband, which is the usual suspect anytime a woman is murdered, by guns or otherwise. I can see the utility of it for certain segments of the population, and many find shooting to be a fun sport. I've tried shooting at a range and it is ok. Not super exciting but something to do. I'd rather hike than shoot, I'd rather shoot than go shopping. I know lots of people who own and shoot guns, driving out to the wilderness, finding a backstop, and shooting all day is a relatively normal weekend activity in AZ. If guns were to become illegal I probably would not protest. I don't currently own any though that may change soon.
djm wrote:
Should guns be illegal for the general populace?
Hmm, like I said I'm indifferent. There are huge swaths of the US that is just wilderness for miles and miles and people have to be very self sufficient. In these areas, guns are useful both for hunting and protection. I don't know what they could possibly be good for in a city besides to cause trouble though. Also, we have a neighbor who open carries when he walks his dog and I don't see the point of that either. If it's for his own protection, it seems like concealed carry would be a better idea because anyone looking to cause trouble is going to shoot the guy with the gun as their opening volley, duh. So I assume people who open carry in public that aren't police officers are doing it to try to intimidate people, not for their own protection. And/or they're just ridiculously stupid.
djm wrote:
If the US did impose stricter gun controls would it work, or is the genie too far out the bottle?
I think the genie is too far out of the bottle. There are more guns than people and it is true that only law abiding citizens would surrender their guns. But I don't think it will happen here any time soon. They say to understand a culture of a place you need to understand its history, and the US was basically settled by people who didn't or couldn't trust their government and had to be self-sufficient in unfriendly territory. It will take a long time for that to be bred out of the culture. If we were going to pour resources into something, I'd put them into solving the mental health crisis before banning gun ownership.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:46 am

When I biked across the U.S. I was camping somewhere on the Snake River Canyon and left the campground reasonably early. I stopped at the first store I came to (which had just opened) for something to eat and while I was mucking around I looked over the top of the counter as I leant on it and the owner had a handgun just sitting on the counter top. I presume it was for protection.

It kinda struck me as an example of the problem of owning guns for safety... The protection they offer is limited and they often increase the level of danger to the owner (I could have just reached down and picked it up).

I heard gunfire pretty much every day biking through the West. I presumed guns are just treated as toys.

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:50 am

starla wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:45 am
It will take a long time for that to be bred out of the culture. If we were going to pour resources into something, I'd put them into solving the mental health crisis before banning gun ownership.
I guess that is the crux of it. Sane people with guns are not a big problem.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:07 am

djm wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:50 am
starla wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:45 am
It will take a long time for that to be bred out of the culture. If we were going to pour resources into something, I'd put them into solving the mental health crisis before banning gun ownership.
I guess that is the crux of it. Sane people with guns are not a big problem.
Most mass shooters are not mentally ill. https://www.fastcompany.com/90461179/41 ... ntally-ill

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:23 am

jyng1 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:07 am
Most mass shooters are not mentally ill. https://www.fastcompany.com/90461179/41 ... ntally-ill
I get the point, but surely anyone that would do this sort of thing is mentally ill. If the definition of mental illness doesn't cover people nasty enough to do these things, then it needs altering!

avolkiteshvara

Post by avolkiteshvara » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:58 pm

It's not something I think about much.

Like I'm aware that anyone at any time could have a gun. I suppose I've just factored that into my every day consciousness.

And actions from guys like these seem rather standard for the US.

US is very much a gun culture. So I think any legal attempts to curb ownership would need to be supported by a comprehensive social campaign.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:50 pm

djm wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:23 am
jyng1 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:07 am
I get the point, but surely anyone that would do this sort of thing is mentally ill. If the definition of mental illness doesn't cover people nasty enough to do these things, then it needs altering!
I think it just comes within normal human behaviour. A little like Sinny and her rabid anti covid hygiene measures. Humans get obsessed and believe and do stupid things.

Which is why civilians shouldn't be allowed to have lots of weapons with capacity for sustained high rates of fire.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:38 pm

Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa. They spent all of yesterday not disclosing the name. That was just maddening. I saw the video of a bearded guy and assumed it could be a foreign terrorist this time.