What are you watching?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Catoptric

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Catoptric » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:57 am

"Just hours before his death, Lee Harvey Oswald tried to call Raleigh, North Carolina from the Dallas jail on the evening of Nov. 23, 1963. For years, this significant information was ignored by assassination investigators and concealed from the public."

1988 PC graphics were very impressive (compared to something like Leisure Suit Larry from 1987.) Start at about 5:40 for the main game, as the rest is practically a demo (though still cool. It's a bit like Space Harrier, though clunkier due to the graphic limitations.)

Most of NEC PC98 games were clearly targeting incels.
Last edited by Catoptric on Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

elfsprin

Post by elfsprin » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:20 am

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity - Simone Weil

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:04 pm

Some really great ones (He-Man, Streets of Rage Remake, etc.)

Samurai Shodown had an RPG (though I'm trying to differentiate a 450MB original Japanese ISO from the translated version which is 150mb. . . ?)
https://youtu.be/9l25eIOnhqA?list=PLM1b ... 4wITUTLNPb

https://thegothsicles.com/samurai-shodo ... in-english

The Neo Geo CD was largely overlooked due to cost (and I only recall ever seeing the NG Color game Biomotor Unitron, as the fighting games seemed kind of repetitive much like any sports game,) and it's easy to overlook the Neo Geo CD RPG game because another Spirits game has fighting elements, and the idea of an RPG game by Neo Geo just seems very out of place. Other consoles like Saturn and PS1 had a port with certain things missing from it and no translations were made.
Last edited by Catoptric on Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:07 pm

This >20 min video is supposedly a 5-hour recording in whole.

It's about vaccines and corruption in medicine and a noticeable increase in certain kinds of cancers.

I was able to copy a dex drive completed save file (mrc) of Suikoden 2 and convert it to an srm (which then is changed over to an emulator save by manually changing the spelling) which would have been completed. This game (and volume 2) was never released in English though can continue off just the same with some added bonus (though what specifically, I don't know.) I'm tempted to fastfoward the playthrough asI stop it too many times.

It seems to resonate with the "heart" of the game most, and these kinds of graphic novel/games mostly only existed with NEC PC-98, one particular Famicom Disk System game where you're a detective, and the SNES Broadcast System Radical Dreamers (which inspired the Chrono Cross game.)

aether
Formerly: aether

Post by aether » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:59 am

Just started watching ‘Succession.’ I hope it’s good.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:43 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Ioffe
She kind of stopped showing on the radar after Trump got into office, and has resented being mansplained to when giving interviews prior to this one (which is from 2017 though still relevant.)

Twitter posts about Ukraine
https://twitter.com/juliaioffe?ref_src= ... r%5Eauthor

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:52 am

I vaguely recall their was an animated season (and Scott Adams also had some kind of vegan burrito he called Dilberito, which was very unusual for the time.) I never saw it in stores. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilberito

I'm not sure if the Sweet Earth brand burritos are having the same fate, as I picked some up on clearance (half off at $1.49 each.)

Fortified with Seiten. https://www.goodnes.com/sweet-earth/pro ... n-burrito/

99% vs 1% dont miss it
https://rumble.com/vu5eiu-99-vs-1-dont- ... VPlKRqFzr8

https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-stu ... -research/

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:47 am

Bank crisis 2008 4 years after

Kyiv/Kiev was very active a few days ago and now looks like a ghost town (anticipating Putin to invade from the Chernobyl region where apparently they are disturbing the radioactive dust and exposing themselves to 20x the ambient radiation in that area.)

I had been looking for the original video (better resolution) though it appears to be sourced from a compilation someone kept:

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:21 am

I just started going over a ton of Atari ST files and this popped up (Cold War conflict game right at the end of it.)

It reminds me of a book on a hypothetical WW3 scenario (written in 1982 and based around 1985.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third ... told_Story

The theory was that NATO forces would align to fight against those from the (Soviet) Warsaw Pact countries.

The situation currently seems "inevitable" from that time but also China is a likely ally (with eyes on Taiwan.)

Also, this might interest people.

If this were an earlier book recommendation, The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio would feel right at home.

This also was on the topic

On another note, this game looks like the precursor to Need for Speed on 3DO, and is 3mb.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:17 am

The tank that ran over a civilian was a Ukrainian tank fleeing a scene of conflict, where the civilians mistook them for Russians, where in the panic they ran the civilian vehicle over. Eventually, the drivers were fired upon and killed, too late to be identified.

I recall seeing this at Gameworks when Grapevine Mills opened up (late 1997) and it always intrigued me; the problem is it doesn't have sound in Emuelec (and I might need to restart it a few times as some bios act up.) I suspect the audio crashed because the gameplay is about half the speed in this video (though I'm pretty sure this video is cheating, as it looks exactly as I remember it, though it may require being played on a more capable system than a TV box.)

I was noticing a picture of Robin Williams playing this game on a version for Sega CD (which incidentally was updated with original footage for a Steam 'Nuclear' version last year,) and looked into it. It seems to be the same people behind 'Night Trap' which is the 'The Room' amongst video games.

It seems it requires you to jump from camera to camera like some kind of voyeur, whenever it flashes red, and then you shoot anything that is an "alien." I never would have guessed that as the intro FMV seems to show game over when you aren't even aware you are actually playing the game. Only smashing buttons on a restart to skip the intro will show you the game interface (which should have been explained somewhere during the FMV sequence and implied, but not even that shows what you might expect to be some explanation as to how the gameplay integrates into the video footage you're watching.)