What are you watching?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: What are you watching?

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:12 pm

I like more concise teaching too, but I miss that French in Action girl. I think I'll look her up.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:24 am

Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:26 pm

CAUTION CUTE KITTENS!

"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:18 pm

Dear stereotypical ethnic urbanites please don't knock it until you've tried the right version of Country.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:29 pm

I dunno if djm is from Ireland but this broadcast sure is interesting. If it's not an Essex or English BBC anchor's accent, I can listen to this stuff in the background all day.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:13 am

Herzog documentary

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5275828/

The World Is Fucked and I’m Pretty Sure It’s the Internet’s Fault (with audio reading the article)
https://markmanson.net/the-world-is-fucked

Proof?

This was also released on the PS1 though was easily overlooked; and apparently, the main actor had no idea he was filming for a game and thought it was just a low-budget picture.

This cover looks strikingly similar to Kill-Bill

The environment (though low-res) seems surprising, and it's like looking at Google Maps street view long before such a thing was possible. I recommend using a walkthrough ( https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/3do/58449 ... faqs/53587 ) as many of the gameplay options are not very apparent (such as web addresses you can type in for hints or extra money.) Gameplay like this is unique to the early CD-rom games and quickly took a back seat to gameplay-driven, rather than story-driven games.

Because Retroarch and Emuelec seem to have some difficulty switching between discs. I saved the states and resumed on the proper disc as well as renamed the discs as the first to load the cue files needed for recognizing the emulator core for some reason (as it didn't recognize 'Opera' 3DO emulator without it) and it simply wouldn't continue onto the second disc. . . So I might just delete them and watch them. Also the playback is choppy, most notably with sound.

Likewise I find the gameplay in FMV games attrocious, but you can't deny the appeal in getting the mechanics of the game to work in your favor.

The arcade releases were using Laserdisc from the early 80s (something that has yet to be emulated though someone online was requesting rom files from donated discs to create one) and are largely forgotten, despite having superior quality compared to the 3DO and Playstation console ports a decade later.

Braindead 13 is a console exclusive and is far more forgiving compared even to the ports of the previous two games as it allows unlimited retries with the action sequences.

Another 3DO game with similar aspects is Strahl.

Luckily the 3do has the best port of Wolfenstein (and the controls allow for strafing movement) which for some reason I couldn't get something called wolf4sdl in ecwolf to work with steam (or any other) game files in Emuelec (though you can apply some of these versions to the Steam games to get it to run better as apparently, it moves like a tugboat compared to the original gameplay.)

AD&D Slayer and Death Keep make me want to consider buying the console again, as it doesn't play seemlessly, though better games might be Lands of Lore.

I've managed to get all Commander Keen games to work in the Retropie Port, and started adding SCUMMVM, EasyRPG, and Solarus fanmade games.

I'm now looking at snesmsu1 files. . . (Enhanced sound and graphics games.)

Developer of world’s worst video game, Hong Kong 1997
https://www.scmp.com/culture/arts-enter ... -1997-ends

Play
https://www.retrogames.cc/snes-games/ho ... -kong.html
Last edited by Catoptric on Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

ashi

Post by ashi » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:56 pm

[Post moved to What are you listening to?]
Last edited by ashi on Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:44 pm

Catoptric wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:13 am
Herzog documentary
Thank you for Herzog documentary.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:22 pm

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:23 pm

DR. PHIL'S TURN-ABOUT RANCH

Reminds me of something I wrote in response to a question, "Is authority inherent to human social structures? Will we naturally select a leader to follow?"

People exist vicariously through proxies (“leaders”) which gives them an identity in the gestalt of wish fulfillment while disinhibiting their predisposition to enact punishment or authority they otherwise would not yield. Most people do not want to deal with the consequences of their actions (neither do they wish to address their inactions as anything other than self-fulfilling prophecies befallen natural course of human “events,”) and thus prefer that others take responsibilities where we fail to address our inability to take initiative.

Most religions and social conventions (culture and government) are built up around this; notice how often people vote for those they believe best represents this carnal nature? People will give more power to those who have effectively maneuvered themselves through battle as strategic masterminds that would best serve the defense of the nation, and in spite of protest against people wielding too much power, too often such people will endure the longest. At the time of their death, it is not uncommon for despots to be cried about (perhaps out of fear and codependency on such a leader?)

People strive for authority, whether it be of their own predisposition to lead, or conferred onto others in serving that principle of wish-fulfillment. People wish to become parents and imitate those that have served the role of a parent, and through the desire to endure/survive, value things which are characteristic of desired qualities. If things aren’t embraced/rewarding, too often people confer that authority to those that best can be relied upon; deferred to in the event that such effort does not seem rewarding. An example might be when a woman takes on the role of a single mother after the man has—through his ego—preferred to not have his resources being used without his consent, and in so wrestling his finances away realizes he is subject to a greater authority (the law; which is one such instrument of authority that people will flock to, enacting such powers of authority for themselves,) much as people choose to have children so that they can themselves impose authority which they have been subjected to their entire life.

Most life is a tug of war with the human ego and the fulfillment of a goal, masquerading as an external gratifying locus of observation that people secretly wish to impose upon others. The reason atrocities happen is the result of mistaken belief; that people are free to impose control and consent to power without constraint until such power is taken away, at which point people choose to retreat from harm’s way, feigning innocence or victimhood.

The spectators are just as much to blame as the perpetrator.

I nearly forgot about this game