Sleep :/

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Sleep :/

Post by Madrigal » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:43 pm

What are your sleep patterns? Am I the only one struggling to get enough of it?

Both yesterday and today I woke up before 6 am to get some work done and ultimately went back to bed, like I just can't do it anymore. Too old for this shit.

Tags:

Light Leak

Re: Sleep :/

Post by Light Leak » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:15 pm

There's something wrong with my sleep and/or energy levels. I fall asleep really quickly, but I wake up frequently in the night. It's not for long periods of time. I'll be awake maybe 15-30 mins each time I wake up, but since it happens several times a night it adds up. I'm in bed for about 9 hrs. each night, but according to my sleep tracker I'm only getting about 7 hours of sleep a night. It doesn't feel like enough for me. I wake up feeling tired every day. My sleep tracker also shows that I tend to get low amounts of deep sleep. I don't know what to do so that I can sleep more deeply.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:43 pm

Light Leak wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:15 pm
There's something wrong with my sleep and/or energy levels. I fall asleep really quickly, but I wake up frequently in the night. It's not for long periods of time. I'll be awake maybe 15-30 mins each time I wake up, but since it happens several times a night it adds up. I'm in bed for about 9 hrs. each night, but according to my sleep tracker I'm only getting about 7 hours of sleep a night. It doesn't feel like enough for me. I wake up feeling tired every day. My sleep tracker also shows that I tend to get low amounts of deep sleep. I don't know what to do so that I can sleep more deeply.
But why do you wake up? Noises?

I find that I wake up automatically at weird times because I spent a long time getting up for work in the wee hours of the morning, a habit I'm trying to break.

Light Leak

Post by Light Leak » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:47 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:43 pm
But why do you wake up? Noises?
Mostly because I'm uncomfortable. I have back problems and it's hard to find a comfortable position to sleep. Noises and light also wake me up. I have blackout curtains at home. If I sleep anywhere else I have a hard time sleeping because it isn't dark enough.

Some of it is also anxious thoughts at night.

I tend to wake up pretty regularly at 2am and 4am for some reason.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:10 pm

I'm grateful for the fact that I have had little or no trouble sleeping because the one or two times I had insomnia were pretty awful (though I guess they were during stressful times). I feel for people who have to deal with that on a regular basis.

On the other hand, my work is such that I end up pulling all-nighters for paper deadlines, or have to survive on 3-5 hours of sleep for a few days. But on the weekends I sleep in at least, can sleep like 12 or 14 hours even, though typically I will feel groggy as shit if I do.

Anyone ever look into the sleep cycle thing? Like trying to time it so that you awake between sleep cycles, rather than in the middle of one? I've seen a lot of stuff about that, not sure if it's bullshit or something proven.

starla

Post by starla » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:15 pm

I used to wake up in the middle of the night and have a hard time getting back to sleep. I could fall asleep no problem because I was always exhausted, but staying asleep was a no go. I saw a therapist who decided I had anxiety (I saw her because I was having a hard time focusing, which she said was due to the poor sleep, which was due to anxiety) and she helped me with some basic techniques for relieving anxiety. Over a period of time they worked and now I still wake up sometimes, but that's usually due to rhinosaur not sleeping well or one of the dogs being restless or I have to pee, and I am usually able to get back to sleep. I still wake up and can't sleep on occasion when stress levels are high, but it is more of a temporary issue until the stress subsides. I also use both the Calm and Headspace apps (Calm is better imo). Apps were mentioned by my therapist but I didn't really check it out until an ad for Calm came up on a game I was playing, which I hate admitting because in-game ads are the devil.

horvack

Post by horvack » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:59 pm

I'm going through a bout of insomnia, to the degree that I have a dr appointment to try to get a drug to help. I'll probably end up getting asked to do a sleep study. The problem isn't staying asleep, it's falling asleep, which usually happens between 3-4 am. When you work business hours, that's just not enough.

There are a variety of reasons:
  • Stress from work
  • Drinking too much coffee (I'm a programmer, there are memes about it)
  • Not getting enough exercise
  • Not getting enough relaxation time.
  • Needing to care for the dying dog, and the sadness that entails
  • Caring for our foster pets (actually, this helps destress, but it takes a lot of time)
  • Being the only person in the house without significant ADHD. It turns out its contagious.
  • Dealing with an autistic 16-year old who outweighs me by 50 lbs, loves to argue, and has very little mindfulness. (He will literally run up the stairs in the middle of the night, slam the doors, then argue about why he has to do that.)

ashi

Post by ashi » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:11 pm

My sleep patterns are eight days of desperately clinging to every minute I can manage between 10-12 hour shifts followed by six days of wondering why I am sleeping so much and feel terrible all the time. Repeat until death.

I don't recommend it.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:12 pm

Better since I have started living with my then girlfriend. I generally now sleep at about 1am and have a decent sleep. Before that I would sleep 5am-9pm every day, then sleep 12-13 hours at the weekend.
Ex falso, quodlibet

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:27 am

Ferrus wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:12 pm
Before that I would sleep 5am-9pm every day
Steward's inquiry?