Suez Canal Blockage

Worldly and otherworldly topics
MoneyJungle

Suez Canal Blockage

Post by MoneyJungle » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:50 pm

I have been thru this baby a few times on an aircraft carrier and it’s a tight fit. I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often.

What would be a suitable punishment for the captain? Is the loss of captaincy sufficient for the economic havoc this wreaked? Why punish criminals who do far less damage far more severely because we presume to know their intent?

Who benefits? My extremely cursory research into the matter seems to be South Africa, with all the diverted shipping routes around the Cape of Good Hope. There has to be somebody making big bucks via financial black magic. Every article about who that is lies behind a paywall.

Has this incident given you pause to reflect on the gravity of your professional mistakes and how inconsequential they are?

How would you get things moving again thru the Suez?

I realize this hurts a lot of people but on some level it’s a fun story. Everybody gets to feel smarter than the guy who ran this ship aground. There’s no two contentious sides repeating the same arguments that generally accompany the news. I’m sure there’s some heat in the nautical community but it ain’t me. I saw some tweet that said something like ‘nice job bozo’ and I broke into disproportionate public laughter.

Tags:

starla

Re: Suez Canal Blockage

Post by starla » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:17 am

I thought the ship was blown by strong winds during a blinding dust storm. Is there evidence of negligence?

C.J.Woolf

Post by C.J.Woolf » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:35 am

MoneyJungle wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:50 pm
What would be a suitable punishment for the captain?
Shouldn't the canal pilot have the conn?

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:49 am

Was the captain of the Titanic on watch when it hit that iceberg? The sea is a cruel mistress. The buck ultimately stops with the captain. I remember the Costa Concordia guy blaming his helmsman (although that wasn’t a pilot). Let’s just have fun for once and pretend it’s the captain’s fault.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:55 am

^^ obligatory to post this video methinks:

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:04 am

Initially there was a report the ship lost power. The company that owns the ship denies that, but they might just be trying to avoid any liability.

Seems strange winds could have blown the ship aground so hard that it would get wedged in there. It's still not clear to me why it's so hard to move. The photos don't make it look that stuck, but I must be missing something. You would think enough tug boats and or heavy equipment on shore with long tow ropes could drag it free. Given the money being lost one would think cost would be no object to fixing the issue.

Roger Mexico

Post by Roger Mexico » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:40 am

Change.org petition to "Please Move the Ship":

https://www.change.org/p/governments-pl ... J1hvbdW6hA

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:16 am

Senseye wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:04 am
Initially there was a report the ship lost power. The company that owns the ship denies that, but they might just be trying to avoid any liability.

Seems strange winds could have blown the ship aground so hard that it would get wedged in there. It's still not clear to me why it's so hard to move. The photos don't make it look that stuck, but I must be missing something. You would think enough tug boats and or heavy equipment on shore with long tow ropes could drag it free. Given the money being lost one would think cost would be no object to fixing the issue.
I think it's hung up on each end with the 200,000 tonnes putting quite a bit of stress in the middle (which its not designed for). 200,000 tonnes plowing into a sand bank probably drove it up onto land a little bit so the hull is no longer buoyant (which is one reason they want to remove containers).

I've only seen photos with one little digger digging out the bow. You'd think with it costing $12 Billion a day they'd get another one to give it a hand :cool:

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:05 pm

Senseye wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:04 am

I've only seen photos with one little digger digging out the bow. You'd think with it costing $12 Billion a day they'd get another one to give it a hand :cool:

This is Egypt, they still handball goods out of containers in the ports!

Causing me issues with raw material supply, plus have a container stuck goods stuck there.

Still what goes around comes around, serves them right for Nassers antics in the Suez crisis.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:58 am

The little yellow digger that could. 27,000 cubic metres of sand shifted allowing the Ever Given to be partially refloated.