Low carb

Worldly and otherworldly topics
baccheion

Re: Low carb

Post by baccheion » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:09 pm

Why were you following such an approach? Any supplements?

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:35 pm

baccheion wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:09 pm
Why were you following such an approach? Any supplements?
Just vitamin D, lol. I'm not a supplement fan.

Using this approach to restrict calories temporarily, I wouldn't actually eat this way as a lifestyle.

avolkiteshvara

Post by avolkiteshvara » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:30 am

I try to go by the method of earning my carbs.

Lazy days, minimal to no carbs.

Exercise, carbs.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:57 pm

The results of this experiment so far are that I stopped gaining weight but did not lose any. Not even a little bit.

This is going to be annoying.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:27 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:57 pm
The results of this experiment so far are that I stopped gaining weight but did not lose any. Not even a little bit.

This is going to be annoying.
The best diet I ever did was starvation. After 2 weeks eating nothing a few years ago I lost a lot of weight (and didn't gain it back for years afterwards).
Ex falso, quodlibet

Buttrock as zen
Formerly: stuck

Post by Buttrock as zen » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:23 pm

The only person I've really seen this work for long term is my dad who's in his 70s. He also used to be a two pack a day Marlboro red smoker who just quit cold turkey with no special preparation. That should give you an idea of his resolve. He also goes to bed at around 7 pm and wakes up at 4 am lol.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:25 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:27 pm
The best diet I ever did was starvation. After 2 weeks eating nothing a few years ago I lost a lot of weight (and didn't gain it back for years afterwards).
You seem unique in this regard. Not that I have ever tried anything so extreme. But I think most people regain the weight much quicker. I know just reducing calories for a few weeks does little for me in the long run.

The fat came back. It wouldn't stay away. ;)

baccheion

Post by baccheion » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:42 pm

Ever looked into genetic testing? Ran through interpreter sites, it could say if you should bias toward carbs or fat and other details.

Protein, salt, progesterone, etc are thermogenic. Same with (sustained-release) melatonin at night. DHEA also has such an effect. Same with good thyroid function.

Iodine protocol.

Is it water weight or actual fat? How is it distributed (eg, around the middle or on the hips)?

Do you get more calcium than phosphorus? 1-1.5g calcium. 800-1200 mg phosphorus. 2:1 Ca:Mg or less.

Do you meet all RDAs (with just food)? CRON-o-meter..

Women need more salt after ovulation (progesterone) and less leading up to it (estrogens).

Sustained-release melatonin at night (last meal 3-4 hours before bed or earlier) with vitamin D3 (+ K2) in the morning is a good start.

Women start needing more progesterone (after ovulation where it is higher) once the plates fuse.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:39 am

I eat too much carbs and now I accidently ordered 5 lbs. of white rice because that's what Amazon showed me when I searched for brown rice. I got a returnless refund which is great but now I'll have to be even more careful about carbs until I finish the white rice. Or hope I spill something in some electronics so I can do that rice absorbency thing. Or maybe I should ask in Ask a Foreigner Anything how to make one of those rice filled instruments.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:01 am

A milanesa has bread though on the outside? Potatoes are high carbs also. Also of you have a napolitana the cheese is high carbs (lactose). My impression is South American cusines are quite carb heavy, even more the farther north you go, but this us because many people work physically demanding jobs that burn of the calories.

I would say a true low carb diet is mainly meat and fish alone with some eggs and nuts. I have been ordering half a kilo of rare steak (entraña) regularly from a place near wherr I work and apparently my cholesterol is high but this is probably more related to other stuff I eat.

One of my colleagues is a vegan Argentinian that I thiught was an oxymoron.
Ex falso, quodlibet