Low carb

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Low carb

Post by Madrigal » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:59 am

I threw in the towel today. I'm tired of rummaging through my refrigerator for half-edible vegetables like I'm fucking homeless. I'm tired of eating fucking cabbage. I'm tired of fucking tasteless cauliflower pretending to be something else that it's clearly NOT and never will be. I'm tired of tossing vegetables together trying to get some flavor out of them, because they don't taste like anything. It's garbage, all of it is garbage. I'm making milanesas, frying them in oil and eating mashed potatoes with them, that'll be my only vegetable, and then wine, I'm having wine with that.

Tags:

Ferrus

Re: Low carb

Post by Ferrus » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:19 am

I realised the other day only vegetables I actually like are beans, peas and the small carrots you get in tins.

And yeah, no roasted potatoes was one of the harder things to give up when I am in a lettuce and pure uncondimented meat eating phase.

That and eating burgers in buns.
Ex falso, quodlibet

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:10 am

Isn't that the whole 'science' of low carb?

Eventually one gets so sick of eating veggies and meat that one just eats less and less. If you can stick to avoiding carbs, you end up eating few enough calories to lose weight. This notion of losing weight by eating less is known by low carb aficionado's as ketosis. ;)

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:45 am

Apparently the point of having very low carbs is to go into "ketosis" and burn fat for fuel. I think an alternative way is to do intermittent fasting... intermittent fasting can apparently also involve "autophagy"...

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 am

Senseye wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:10 am
Isn't that the whole 'science' of low carb?

Eventually one gets so sick of eating veggies and meat that one just eats less and less. If you can stick to avoiding carbs, you end up eating few enough calories to lose weight. This notion of losing weight by eating less is known by low carb aficionado's as ketosis. ;)
It does make you less hungry; I think relying on carbs makes you hungrier throughout the day. So you may be right. I'm not trying to go into ketosis because it's gross (it works but it's too anti-social and makes you feel bad), just low carb, as in, hardly any at dinner. It is just a desperate search to figure out what to do with vegetables all the time.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:43 pm

I was being somewhat facetious regarding ketosis. I'm not really into gimmicky diets of any sort, even if there is some truth to the whole ketosis business. I'm still somewhat dubious about that but it seems pretty popular. I also can't say I know anyone personally who has done it with success, so I can't get a real read on if it works for them because of some sort of ketosis magic, or they psychologically just convince themselves they are not hungry and eat less.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:18 pm

I try not to eat before 17:00 and succeed on eighty percent of days. I’m an absolute nightmare between 15:00 and din din. My diet is abhorrent but I’m only kinda doughy. I run and bike to split the difference. I’ve tried low carb and it feels like I will never love a song ever again.

DJ Drug Problem
Formerly: DJ Fresh Produce

Post by DJ Drug Problem » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:25 pm

It's way easier to lose weight by going vegetarian or vegan than low carb. It's also way better for your cholesterol, heart, gall bladder and pancreas. All that fat and animal products make crazy gallstones and is terrible for your digestive and circulatory system.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:00 pm

DJ Drug Problem wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:25 pm
It's way easier to lose weight by going vegetarian or vegan than low carb. It's also way better for your cholesterol, heart, gall bladder and pancreas. All that fat and animal products make crazy gallstones and is terrible for your digestive and circulatory system.
If for whatever reason I suddenly had to go vegetarian, I wouldn't care. But it's a real pain in the ass to think of meals. I guess I'd have more variety than I do now since there are a lot of carby vegetables I could use.

A few days ago I read that 1/4 of Americans between 25 and 35 were vegetarian, I was stunned. I wonder if that's really true.

last_caress

Post by last_caress » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:56 pm

Eating whatever I want while counting calories has always worked for me. Way more flexible than limiting yourself to some fad diet restriction.

Energy in < energy out.