Dialectics

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Ferrus

Re: Dialectics

Post by Ferrus » Wed May 05, 2021 10:49 am

Utisz wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:33 am
Reason as a sort of social justification for intuition is kind of an interesting concept, and it makes sense in terms of the idea of confirmation bias. The idea of a lottocracy is kind of intriguing too, though unabated populism cannot be a good thing either, can it?
I think the idea (whether it would work in not in reality is another matter) is that by forcing normal people to accept responsibility, such as in jury duty, you force them to have to be accountable for their decisions and mistakes even from basic social shame instead of just spouting populist opinions.
Ex falso, quodlibet

Utisz

Re: Dialectics

Post by Utisz » Sun May 09, 2021 6:27 am

Ferrus wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:49 am
I think the idea (whether it would work in not in reality is another matter) is that by forcing normal people to accept responsibility, such as in jury duty, you force them to have to be accountable for their decisions and mistakes even from basic social shame instead of just spouting populist opinions.
I guess there's also an element of wisdom of the crowds, or somehow that they might veer away from simple populism by merit of having been given temporary responsibility and the necessity to talk with people like adults. (Sounds too idyllic overall though.)

Well the constitutional process here is taking a similar-ish line. People are still elected, but none of them are from the political classes in general.