Post by puerile_polyp » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:08 pm

Dot wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:59 pm
puerile_polyp wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:26 pm
Dot wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:36 am
https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/u ... -genocide/

"Putin has declared that his goal is the “denazificiation” of Ukraine. This insane objective conceals his true aim of extinguishing Ukrainian statehood and eradicating all traces of a separate Ukrainian identity. He claims to be fighting against a small minority of extremists. Instead, it is now clear that Russia is at war with an entire nation of over 40 million.

In order to create the russified Ukraine he dreams of, Putin will need to pacify or remove the vast majority of the population. The Kremlin has already reportedly drawn up lists of Ukrainian politicians, journalists, and activists who will be subjected to arrest and possible execution if Russia succeeds in occupying Ukraine’s major cities. Given the scale and ferocity of popular opposition to the Russian invasion, any pacification campaign would need to rival the worst crimes against humanity of the totalitarian twentieth century."
You mean like commando squads kicking in doors at night and whisking people away to black sites where they are tortured and their families may never find out what happened to them? Sounds exactly like what the USA has been doing all over the world for the past thirty years at least. Denazification looks like the Global War on Terror with the title crossed out. Ironically a lot of those black sites were said to be in Eastern Europe as well. I wonder if Russia will be using some of the same ones. Or maybe they'll build a prison on Cuba just like ours. It's still there being used for the same purpose.
Putin is arguably parodying American language here - as he did more explicitly in his discussion of peacekeeping forces and denuclearization of Ukraine - but it's reductive to say that his actual and planned atrocities are just the same as American atrocities.
Well the actual atrocities of the USA are definitely much worse at this point, everything else is speculation, and yours is clearly heavily influenced by NATO propaganda.

I don't think he's "parodying" anything, I think he's copying what's proven effective. And I think the Russian military intervention in Ukraine is more justified than all of the US-led military interventions in that part of the world in recent years. The stuff USA is doing is about expanding USA power all over the globe. Russia is just trying to remove existential threats in their own backyard.

jyng1

Re: Run-up to WW3

Post by jyng1 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:25 pm

puerile_polyp wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:08 pm
I don't think he's "parodying" anything, I think he's copying what's proven effective. And I think the Russian military intervention in Ukraine is more justified than all of the US-led military interventions in that part of the world in recent years. The stuff USA is doing is about expanding USA power all over the globe. Russia is just trying to remove existential threats in their own backyard.
Who was threatening? NATO is a defensive alliance that has been continually downsizing since the 1990s. No one has offered Ukraine entry into either the EU or NATO and were never likely to do so. The States has never even taken Ukrainian security seriously, hence Trump's blackmailing of Zelenskyy.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:40 pm

jyng1 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:11 am

I just can't see any end game in the Ukraine. It'd be like the US occupying Canada... they might win the war but there'd be a lot of Yanks buried in the woods... and what would it be like to occupy a country with a gazillion Stingers, NLAWS, Stugna-Ps and Javelins buried in every farmers backyard knowing you could be blown to heaven from 5 kilometres away at any moment?
And it is going to get worse the more damage he does. It would be one thing if he had just rolled over Ukraine and installed his puppet government. That may be what he was hoping for or expecting. Had that happened, I'm sure there would be plenty of disgruntled Ukrainians who hated the situation. But dislike of one's government can generally be tolerated if your family, your house, and your job is relatively unaffected. Once relatives start to die and your home is a smoking ruin, people take that shit personally, and tend to hold grudges for years (if not generations).

There's probably lots of new highly dedicated resistance fighters in Ukraine already. Those ranks will swell every week this bombardment goes on. As such, a post conquest Ukraine is not likely to be anywhere near as complacent as somewhere like Belarus, which I think Putin is/was planning on.

And keep those sanctions up. There is a reason Putin has the propaganda regime in high gear. Even he needs the general good will of the populace. Economic pain may help motivate them to ask questions.

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:47 pm

jyng1 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:25 pm
NATO is a defensive alliance that has been continually downsizing since the 1990s
Libya, Yemen, Somalia, Syria, Afghanistan, Serbia, Yugoslavia. LOL at "defensive"

USA has directly poured billions into militarizing Ukraine leading up to this, as our dodderer-in-chief just reminded us. Eight years ago the CIA orchestrated a coup there to overthrow the Russia-friendly, democratically elected government. and ever since there's been a NATO puppet government waging small-scale war against Russians on the Russian border.
Last edited by puerile_polyp on Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:50 pm

puerile_polyp wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:47 pm
jyng1 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:25 pm
NATO is a defensive alliance that has been continually downsizing since the 1990s
Libya, Yemen, Somalia, Syria, Afghanistan, Serbia, Yugoslavia
Are you a Nigerian troll?

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:51 pm

Senseye wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:40 pm
And keep those sanctions up. There is a reason Putin has the propaganda regime in high gear. Even he needs the general good will of the populace. Economic pain may help motivate them to ask questions.
I see the press is starting to talk about Russians bailing to Europe.

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:05 pm

jyng1 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:50 pm
Yes, I'm a troll from Nigeria, that country that is noteworthy for all of its trolls (?)

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:08 pm

puerile_polyp wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:05 pm
jyng1 wrote:
Yes, I'm a troll from Nigeria, that country that is noteworthy for all of its trolls (?)
It's been pretty noteworthy lately; commenting about the similarity of UN peacekeeping missions like UNSOM and UNMIBH to Putins unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:13 pm

jyng1 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:08 pm
puerile_polyp wrote:
jyng1 wrote:
It's been pretty noteworthy lately; commenting about the similarity of UN peacekeeping missions like UNSOM and UNMIBH to Putins unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
Please explain to me what any of this has to do with Nigeria.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:23 pm

puerile_polyp wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:13 pm
jyng1 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:08 pm
puerile_polyp wrote:
jyng1 wrote:
Please explain to me what any of this has to do with Nigeria.
Exactly.