Run-up to WW3

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Senseye

Re: Run-up to WW3

Post by Senseye » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:26 pm

I think Putin is bluffing. Or attention seeking, term it what you will.

So my bet is nothing much happens.

Buttrock as zen
Formerly: stuck

Post by Buttrock as zen » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:52 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:34 pm
Anybody wanna make any predictions on the Ukraine conflict?
Sabre rattling, war of humiliation/attrition in the press focused on getting Trump in office, then some kind of a "deal" related to gas with Trump admin.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:06 pm

Howitzers being placed on trucks for transport.

https://fb.watch/ba3lnNzYtV/

And embargos with submarines.

It almost seems like Kim Jong-Un parading with an even bigger missile. Much of the shipments being shown in media almost makes it seem as though it's all a staged event.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:08 pm

Looks like it's about to kick off in Donetsk. This will be a cake walk for Russia.

aether
Formerly: aether

Post by aether » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:17 am

I don’t think it is going to be that easy for Russia with NATO and the West supporting Ukraine. Even if they do take Donetsk and even Odessa, the future doesn’t look so good for Russia.

aether
Formerly: aether

Post by aether » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:53 am

Madrigal wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:24 pm
Just came here to note that, while Turkey and Greece engage in their geopolitical dispute, Germany sells submarines to Turkey while France sells warships to Greece.

Splendid.
Turkey is has actually been selling drones to many countries, it has been called a ‘drone superpower.’ Germany’s military isn’t as large and powerful as it could be and the country’s dependence on Russian gas put’s it in an uncomfortable spot. They probably should have not closed down a bunch of nuclear reactors as a response to what happened in Fukushima, Japan. After all, Germany is not a seismic or volcanic country and nuclear power is it’s still clean, safe and cheap.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:51 am

Senseye wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:26 pm
I think Putin is bluffing. Or attention seeking, term it what you will.

So my bet is nothing much happens.
Superforecaster you are not...
Ex falso, quodlibet

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:20 am

Well, you win some, you lose some. :palm:

I am still completely baffled about what Putin hopes to gain from all this. Assuming the EU and/or Biden gains a spine and place some serious economic sanctions on Russia post invasion, that would have to cause Russian some serious pain. Even if they successfully annex the so called disputed regions, it seems hardly worth the effort.

Surely Russian can't conquer and then occupy the entire Ukraine. They couldn't even handle Afghanistan. Also, I assume the EU would kick up a fuss over that, even if Ukraine is not a NATO member.

I'm clearly no expert on the regional politics though.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:49 am

Senseye wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:20 am
Surely Russian can't conquer and then occupy the entire Ukraine. They couldn't even handle Afghanistan. Also, I assume the EU would kick up a fuss over that, even if Ukraine is not a NATO member.
Without wishing to be held a hostage of fortune... I feel the most likely scenario is he takes all of Ukraine east of the Dnieper. I don't think the LPR and DPR are sufficient gain for the risk here. There are Russian troop movements around the Belgorod oblast so a resurrection of the Kharkiv People's republic seems inevitable, as well as pushing LPR and DPR to oblast limits. The rest of Eastern Ukraine - including critically the Black Sea and Odessa with great strategic value could be partitioned to a Russia friendly alternative government that would I guess get dubbed East Ukraine a la East Germany with time. That region is reasonably pro-Russian and probably couldn't sustain an insurgency like the more culturally hostile Western region could. Probably with a concomitant siege and bombing of Kiev to force the Western rump to swallow the status quo.
Last edited by Ferrus on Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex falso, quodlibet

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:45 pm

Russia could have an invested interest in acquiring the uranium supply from Ukraine as it's aware that shifts in technology towards EV (and possibly missile defense,) with less dependency on Russia for gas/oil exports, will compromise their long-term interest. Sanctions will only work to prevent Russia from invading if the countries have a viable alternative in place to not rescind on their dependency for oil, and the Ukraine is their geopolitical chess piece which recently talked of stepping up their nuclear refinement capabilities shortly after it's being discussed at the end of 2021 of renewed possibility that Putin might invade.

"Europe gets some 40% of gas, 26% of oil needs from Russia"

Russia produces about 2,9000 tons of Uranium while Ukraine is about 800 tons, and Khazikstan leads with 22,000 tons which might be supplying a lot of China's uranium since they produce about 1800 tons.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country

China and Russia would rather remain neutral with Khazekstan, and Russia sees Ukraine as having a clear history with potential leverage as far as they see it (and many are comparing Russia to Germany with how they gradually establish their precedent with further encroachments into other territories, and Putin has all the hallmarks of an evil person.)
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2