Thinking of ditching my bread box

Worldly and otherworldly topics

Do you have a bread box?

Poll ended at Thu May 13, 2021 5:16 am

Yes, I have a bread box that is not a plastic container, that I may or may not use for bread
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 8

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Re: Thinking of ditching my bread box

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:53 pm

Yesterday wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:14 am
HighlyIrregular II wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:39 am
A detritus avalanche?
Kind of. I was thinking of creating a thread about a corner of my bedroom that illustrates several things that evolved backwards. There's an Odd Couple scene about one of them, where Felix replaces Oscar's traditional wooden desk with a flimsy minimalistic substitute. I replaced a sturdy old sewing machine table that had drawers with a projector stand. The replacement for my old desk/dresser went the same way. It's a steel shelving unit that holds less. Then there's the clamp-on light that I need because the new light bulbs aren't as bright, and there's the $1,100 chair, which in my estimation is worth about $100 and made me hurt my elbow when it hit the unpadded frame (I got it free though), and the breathable garment bags that I could poke a hole through with a tap after a few years of use, which replaced vinyl and PE, and the plastic Vornado FAN that cracked. I will NOT call it an air circulator! But at least I'm modernizing.

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:57 pm

Yesterday wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:14 am
A detritus avalanche?
Kind of. I was thinking of creating a thread about a corner of my bedroom that illustrates several things that evolved backwards. There's an Odd Couple scene about one of them, where Felix replaces Oscar's traditional wooden desk with a flimsy minimalistic substitute. I replaced a sturdy old sewing machine table that had drawers with a projector stand. The replacement for my old desk/dresser went the same way. It's a steel shelving unit that holds less. Then there's the clamp-on light that I need because the new light bulbs aren't as bright, and there's the $1,100 chair, which in my estimation is worth about $100 and made me hurt my elbow when it hit the unpadded frame (I got it free though), and the breathable garment bags that I could poke a hole through with a tap after a few years of use, which replaced vinyl and PE, and the plastic Vornado FAN that cracked. I will NOT call it an air circulator! But at least I'm modernizing.

aether
Formerly: aether

Post by aether » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:42 am

Yeah, my protein bread has been getting moldy recently so I decided to put it in the fridge.

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:29 am

It's interesting that even with wood being replaced with other things since the 70s, my 60s era bread box was metal. So was my grandmother's. Mine had a mirror finish and my grandmother's was yellow. They're mostly wood today. BTW, my bread is Panera Multigrain.

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:32 am

My new apartment has kitchen cabinets with a built-in bread box. I had look it up to learn it's a bread box. I was making good progress figuring out where to put things but I still have no plans for the bread box. Potatoes and onions? Banana ripening? It stunk badly and I'd rather not infuse it with a new generation of smells.
Attachments
IMG_20230918_161129214.jpg
IMG_20230918_161129214.jpg (327.46 KiB) Viewed 22837 times

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:25 pm

I'm thinking of ditching my roommate. He's a snot box. Now me, he's a charming clean and neat freak that deserves better roommates.
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble