Smoking, vaping, et al.

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Utisz

Smoking, vaping, et al.

Post by Utisz » Mon May 17, 2021 6:45 am

Did you smoke? Did you stop? Have you vaped? Did you stop?

If not/so, do you think that smoking/vaping should be outlawed?

Do you think vaping is safer than smoking?

Tags:

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Re: Smoking, vaping, et al.

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon May 17, 2021 6:55 pm

The very first time I smoked a cigarette was in 9th grade. I was up late one night. Left my house to visit the cigarette graveyard of Lionel Richie's childhood best friend's gravel bed. I smooshed a handful into my palm and walked home where I lit 'em up. Before my respiratory conniption, the nictonic euphoria felt like, "I'm in heaven", the version sung by Fred Astaire

... most notably from the film, The Green Mile

I went on to smoke other things. Tried me a vape. Tried me a pipe. Tried many a thing. I decided that it's a dirty habit so I stopped years ago. I advocate for others to stop both but the analog sticks are the primary killers I've heard.

(everyone's opinions on anything are just the exponential sum of a limited set of choices. stances googleable on just about all issues i.e., in this case, whether either of these smoking vices is safest and how it relates to the law means narrowing that info down a bit and I'm intimidated when needing to speak persuasiveness. P-ness? No not /penis/, MBTI silly.)
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Tue May 18, 2021 12:36 am

Started smoking 20 years ago at university. Stopped a few times; the longest was for a year and a half. My problem is that I smoke a cigarette at some point, thinking it's no big deal, I'll just go back to not smoking after that. Then, I'm smoking two ro three a day but of course I'm still a non-smoker so it's okay. Then I'm just smoking regularly wondering when I'll close that smoking window I opened.

I haven't smoked since February and don't plan to smoke again. I guess I can't vape either, since it would probably be a gateway back to smoking cigarettes.

I would probably outlaw cigarettes if I had some kind of almighty bolshevik power to ban shit. I would allow vaping. :soap:

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Tue May 18, 2021 1:18 am

No.

I have smoked a cigarette exactly... three times I think, mainly drunk to talk to some people outside, all in Barcelona. The last time being the Christmas party in 2019. It honestly never really appealed to me. I did find the change to the law a few years back in the UK a pain as in a London pub we were at we would be forced to drink outside in extremely cold weather while my friends from university smokes and/or vaped. Actually I remember that drinking outside was banned after certain hours too, so I ended up getting barred from a pub (at least until the idiot who barred me stopped working there) just because I took my beer outside to talk to those smoking out there.

Trying shisha is on my bucket list though.
Ex falso, quodlibet

last_caress

Post by last_caress » Wed May 19, 2021 12:00 am

Utisz wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:45 am

Yes, yes, yes, yes. I quit inhaling anything but air as of a few years ago.

In buildings yes. Outside no.

Probably but subjectively vaping had more of a negative effect on breathing for me so I stuck to smoking.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Wed May 19, 2021 6:59 am

Started smoking dope (what we call cannabis) in college mixed with tobacco when 17. Had little interest but everyone in my living was smoking and laughing uncontrollably so whatcha gonna do. No home internet in those days.

When 18 bummed cigarettes off a friend on Valentine's Day after a girl stood me up, fell in love.

Started smoking properly on a summer job in an airport helping to prepare thousands of aeroplane meals a day on a conveyer belt.

Been smoking 20 or 30 a day for 17 years I guess ... until Madrigal got me a vape thing for my birthday, and then another. Still smoking 20 or 30 a day, but the times, they might be a-changing.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat May 22, 2021 5:03 am

last_caress wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:00 am
Probably but subjectively vaping had more of a negative effect on breathing for me so I stuck to smoking.
Was gonna ask if you think that vaping helped give up smoking, but it seems you smoked last before you gave up?

last_caress

Post by last_caress » Fri May 28, 2021 1:13 am

Utisz wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 5:03 am
last_caress wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 12:00 am
Was gonna ask if you think that vaping helped give up smoking, but it seems you smoked last before you gave up?
I only smoked cigs briefly early on. Most of my smoking and all of my vaping was weed.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:08 pm

Confession: I bought a vape, but it ain't nothin great. :jerk:
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

ashi

Post by ashi » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:52 am

Utisz wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:45 am

No, no faith that is practical, don't care.
Utisz wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 6:59 am
Still smoking [...]
What? Stop. You know better.