Nifty neologisms that don't deserve their own thread

Worldly and otherworldly topics
SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Nifty neologisms that don't deserve their own thread

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon May 17, 2021 6:30 pm

Everyone reading this is at least living a life as vivid and fun as my own. Being so they certainly have had an instance of creating designer words when the occasion demands it ...

Like when I was arguing with Limey the first time I met him in 2015 by doing a quick English Language Stack Exchange search and learned that the easiest way to argue with NTs is to copy NT logic (a dispute about the word "learnings" - though not new but idiomatically common and therefore illustrates the ever-evolving colloquium of English). Like how Darren Brown played chess Grandmasters blindfolded by duplicating their chess moves against each successive adjacent player.

Or coining new words to add to their personal colloquium of awesomeness as in the cases of open authorship in a soon-to-be-released Dictionary Of Obscure Sorrows, found here https://www.dictionaryofobscuresorrows.com/.

Here's where I think it'd be neat to post our word creations to share with others.

Posters are beholden to including a definition with their newly coined word.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Tags:

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: Nifty neologisms that don't deserve their own thread

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue May 18, 2021 7:50 am

I have letters though! I think I posted my idea for new letters on the old board. A capital "A" that you could make without taking your pen off the paper, and a lower case "q" that makes more sense considering the shape of the upper case "Q".
Attachments
letters-A-and-Q.jpg
letters-A-and-Q.jpg (9.39 KiB) Viewed 4062 times

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue May 18, 2021 11:13 am

You know how I feel. Hint: it's a quote by the same guy who wrote that other quote.

Anyway, "I've never heard anyone say bogus in a long time so."

I used to hear kids say shit like that in bible school like say what foo? say what again?!

Btw, bogus was formerly heavily used in 90's slang as in, "Dude, that's bogus."

If a word is out of use long enough people forget it and then you can claim the property rights as your own.

My deceased high school friend Josue who was later shot and killed on the west side of town, he invented the word "skandoscious". but it's supposed to mean the same thing as scandalous.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue May 18, 2021 4:27 pm

Around 1988 I told someone I worked with that a certain check was a bad check. He asked "what do you mean?" and I said "it's bogus" and he immediately understood.

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:32 pm

There should be another word which properly portrays bureaucracy for the cumbersome process that it is. :mad: :palm: :jerk:

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:56 am

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:32 pm
There should be another word which properly portrays bureaucracy for the cumbersome process that it is.
Kafkaesque is the extreme part of that maybe?

Red tape?

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:12 pm

Utisz wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:56 am
Kafkaesque is the extreme part of that maybe?

Red tape?
"Official paperwork in Southern Europe/Latin America"? (Delete as appropriate.) :ph34r:
Ex falso, quodlibet

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:38 pm

Juneteenth and some other holidays should maintain their federal "days of recognition" status without people getting the day off work. We need to compete with countries that don't celebrate Juneteenth, and we need to provide government services to people, such as...etc. But removing the "day off" part could be perceived as making it a lesser event, so we need to add something too. For example, we could call Juneteenth an "official day of action" in which agencies issue reports on something race related.

Possible terms without the work "holiday":
Day of recognition
Day of action

Possible words:
:confused:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:57 pm

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:38 pm
Juneteenth and some other holidays should maintain their federal "days of recognition" status without people getting the day off work. We need to compete with countries that don't celebrate Juneteenth, and we need to provide government services to people, such as...etc. But removing the "day off" part could be perceived as making it a lesser event, so we need to add something too. For example, we could call Juneteenth an "official day of action" in which agencies issue reports on something race related.

Possible terms without the work "holiday":
Day of recognition
Day of action

Possible words:
:confused:
You know people in other countries get month-long vacations, right?

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:45 pm

Julius_Van_Der_Beak wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:57 pm
You know people in other countries get month-long vacations, right?
I don't picture our adversaries being among those countries.