Post Your Dream

Worldly and otherworldly topics
starjots

Re: Post Your Dream

Post by starjots » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:07 pm

Dream 3

Dreamed I was a teacher's aid or something at an elementary school. The teacher was rather important and I only saw her at some big mixer for big shots before I reported to work. I was stark naked (that's new one for me in dreams) asking the secretary where the classroom was and feeling rather exposed. She drew me a map of how to reach the classroom and then a cat woke me up.

Dream 4

I was driving up a mountain road passing pockets of forest fires on my left - they looked like fire tornados. Then I passed a smaller fire and thought, maybe I can put this one out. I got out and examined the fire, flames poking out of old stumps and what not. I noticed a dilapidated house nearby and knocked on the door to see if I could rustle up some help. Some kids dressed in not much more than rags were inside and a young mother came out - she looked poor too. She said to me about the fire "Do you know how to put it out?"

--

On talking to my mate about these dreams, both of which were different from any I've remembered, she thought it might have to do with the audio recording project I've started. I'm outside my comfort zone on this one, being a person who normally speaks as little as possible. Seems reasonable to me.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:15 pm

starjots wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:07 pm
On talking to my mate about these dreams, both of which were different from any I've remembered, she thought it might have to do with the audio recording project I've started. I'm outside my comfort zone on this one, being a person who normally speaks as little as possible. Seems reasonable to me.
What's the audio project about, if you can say?

starjots

Post by starjots » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:34 am

Madrigal wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:15 pm
starjots wrote:
I wrote a sci fi novel and was at the point of looking at self publishing or trying to find an agent. Since this is about writing more books than chasing the dream of substantial money, I'm 90% sure I'll self publish. Given that decision, to me, a book these days needs to be audio to be real (weird, but I listen to a lot of audio books) so I thought I'd give that a shot. I built a little sound booth in a closet which seems workable, got the basic gear, and am now learning the software and recording some chapters.

By the way, if this ever hits the big time (statistically a very long shot), the coolest thing around would be to pay to have it translated into Spanish by a certain pro who is an excellent writer... :cool:

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:47 pm

starjots wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:34 am
Madrigal wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:15 pm
starjots wrote:
I wrote a sci fi novel and was at the point of looking at self publishing or trying to find an agent. Since this is about writing more books than chasing the dream of substantial money, I'm 90% sure I'll self publish. Given that decision, to me, a book these days needs to be audio to be real (weird, but I listen to a lot of audio books) so I thought I'd give that a shot. I built a little sound booth in a closet which seems workable, got the basic gear, and am now learning the software and recording some chapters.

By the way, if this ever hits the big time (statistically a very long shot), the coolest thing around would be to pay to have it translated into Spanish by a certain pro who is an excellent writer... :cool:
Wow, I didn't know you had written a Sci-Fi novel. And of course I'd translate it into Spanish! Is there a pandemic in it? :ph34r:

starjots

Post by starjots » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:19 am

Madrigal wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:47 pm
Wow, I didn't know you had written a Sci-Fi novel. And of course I'd translate it into Spanish! Is there a pandemic in it? :ph34r:
Thankfully no. It's about an agent of the Singularity Prevention Service stumbling onto a secret group that has been doing human experiments on immortality for decades along with a dose of artificial life form shenanigans thrown in. And that's very kind of of you, it is about 80,000 words which is a lot for me to edit, so I can't imagine how much work it would be to translate or what such things cost. I really should get back in the booth and quit fucking around!

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:51 pm

Edit: less anticlimactic

I once had a dream Limes/Limey locked me in his basement for badgering him. He's menacing and just stood pointing his bulge at me like a badass meany. Like he knew I was so scared I wasn't gonna go to blows. Then I took to groveling and he let me go. This was back when the doc was giving me waaaay too much stimulant medication last year. I even hallucinated Ptah and Roki snuck into my attic and were planning on gunning me down CIA style. I was convinced 2020 was my last. Not to mention having to put up with post-menopause parental unit who insisted on consoling me with data that disparities of fair skinning fatalities in 2020 meant I was less of a target. She's special. After last year, when things are going smooth/alright for a spell it feels like life is but a dream.

"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

starjots

Post by starjots » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:22 am

Dream 5

I was with my grandfather and was my present age. We were in a sort of foresty rural workplace with pole barns and what not and he was retiring from working there that day. He was showing me around. Across a stream there was a hillside where there were some caves -- he pointed one out to me and said he liked to spend a lot of time there and would miss it.

I told him I'd show him where I retired from, and wha-la, we were standing outside a building that was, I think, a composite of the buildings I'd worked in at Los Alamos. I explained to him what I'd done there, a general rambling since our group did a lot of things. Then I opened the door, expecting to see offices, or computer rooms or an atrium, but instead found myself looking into a protestant church of fairly large size. I could tell it was protestant from the decoration and extensive use of wood everywhere (I've been a protestant and a catholic at different times). I was quite surprised by this and kept looking inside the door for offices, computer rooms and so forth, but instead the interior of the church just got bigger.

--

My wife was as surprised as I was when I related this dream to her. For one thing, the grandfather's workplace was entirely fabricated - he worked in a shipyard as a painter before I was born. I'd never dreamed of him before that I recall. And seeing a church in my dream as 'the big reveal' was completely out of character. But it's a dream. I think I'm making sense of really being retired and perhaps grappling with my own mortality. At this point, I am my grandfather (minus the grandkids).

Roger Mexico

Post by Roger Mexico » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:49 am

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:51 pm

I once had a dream Limes/Limey locked me in his basement for badgering him. He's menacing and just stood pointing his bulge at me like a badass meany. Like he knew I was so scared I wasn't gonna go to blows. Then I took to groveling and he let me go. This was back when the doc was giving me waaaay too much stimulant medication last year. I even hallucinated Ptah and Roki snuck into my attic and were planning on gunning me down CIA style. I was convinced 2020 was my last. Not to mention having to put up with post-menopause parental unit who insisted on consoling me with data that disparities of fair skinning fatalities in 2020 meant I was less of a target. She's special. After last year, when things are going smooth/alright for a spell it feels like life is but a dream.
I had a Ptah dream once, years ago.

Basically I was in Chicago and some huge natural disaster was happening. Most of the city was in ruins, and I was wandering around with a dozen or so other survivors frantically searching for a place to take shelter from whatever the still-present danger was.

Then I remembered that Ptah lived in Chicago, and also that he'd built a large subterranean bunker complex under his house.

So I suggested to the crowd that we go to Ptah's house and ask if we could hide out in his bunker.

But when we got there he said "No, fuck you, you can't use my bunker--I store all my Transformers toys down there."

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:59 pm

A few days ago I remembered a recurring dream I think I used to have. There's a breakthrough project I'm working on, I think a computer program. Are they still called that or is it code? Anyway, I'm almost done with the big project, but I don't think the dream is specific, and I don't actually work on it. I'm just thinking about it and glad it's almost done. I think there was a slight indication of the kind of code but I don't remember. I've been making a list of my recurring dreams for years, since the day I remembered three and thought that was enough to be interesting. It grew over time to at least six, and this is like 10 years later and I'm still thinking of new ones. But this one is close enough to past real life coding experiences that I'm not positive it was really a recurring dream. I didn't add it to the list yet.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:30 am

Roger Mexico wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:49 am
SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:51 pm

I had a Ptah dream once, years ago.

Basically I was in Chicago and some huge natural disaster was happening. Most of the city was in ruins, and I was wandering around with a dozen or so other survivors frantically searching for a place to take shelter from whatever the still-present danger was.

Then I remembered that Ptah lived in Chicago, and also that he'd built a large subterranean bunker complex under his house.

So I suggested to the crowd that we go to Ptah's house and ask if we could hide out in his bunker.

But when we got there he said "No, fuck you, you can't use my bunker--I store all my Transformers toys down there."
Edit: whoops, posted this while driving the other day... My bad Roger Mexico. I'm not that out of touch. Or maybe I am. To commemorate my fabulous blunder/social faux pas, a song.
Last edited by SomeInternetBloke on Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi