Favorite dark/black comedies

Worldly and otherworldly topics
JohnClay

Favorite dark/black comedies

Post by JohnClay » Mon May 24, 2021 9:15 am

Bad Boy Bubby

An Australian movie about a man who's lived underground for 35 years with his mother whom he has sex with. He ends up murdering his parents and escaping. It has a happy ending where he gets married and has two boys.

Here are a collection of excerpts related to people with severe disabilities:

Happiness

This shows the secrets that people have including being a murderer, a pedophile, etc. It has a happy ending were a boy jerks off to a woman sunbathing and cums. A dog licks up the cum and his mother is licked by the dog. The boy announces "I came!"

Todd Solondz has other black comedies

Peep Show

The show is through a first-person view while hearing the thoughts of the two main characters.

Some random excerpt:

Do you have any favorite black comedies? Is so please include some kind of summary and an excerpt....

I like how it can explore people's dark inner sides.... I guess the descriptions sound like a train-wreck....

Tags:

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: Favorite dark/black comedies

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed May 26, 2021 1:51 am

Anyone watch the Squirmy and Grubs YouTube channel? They're in an interabled relationship. Grubs is the disabled one, with a muscular atrophy disease, and in a wheelchair. He tries to be funny but it's basically about their life.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Wed May 26, 2021 9:25 pm

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:51 am
Anyone watch the Squirmy and Grubs YouTube channel? They're in an interabled relationship. Grubs is the disabled one, with a muscular atrophy disease, and in a wheelchair. He tries to be funny but it's basically about their life.
This is a neat channel. Thanks dude. :clap:
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu May 27, 2021 9:27 pm

I guess the Coen Bros, although I'm not a huge fan of dark comedy myself, as it gets too frivolous for my liking sometimes (is that even redundant?). I liked Burn After Reading, for example. I may like a "dark comedy" about nazis much less.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Fri May 28, 2021 6:10 am

I've started watching an Australian series called "Mr Inbetween". It's kind of a crime drama with a humorous bent. Not quite sure it would qualify as a black comedy however.

It's pretty entertaining though. And I get a dose of Australian culture. So now I know what a dimmy is.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Sat May 29, 2021 4:46 am

No mention of Dr. Strangelove?

Also Arsenic and Old lace if you can abide something old-timey.

Also Burn After Reading was pretty funny.

Does Starship Troopers count?

C.J.Woolf

Post by C.J.Woolf » Mon May 31, 2021 12:14 am

I might think of something else later, but Armando Ianucci comes to mind. He created the political black comedies The Death of Stalin, The Thick of It, and Veep.

ashi

Post by ashi » Mon May 31, 2021 4:41 am

I desperately wish I could have watched The Death of Stalin any time prior to October 2016.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:38 am

The Day Today

Brass Eye. Can't find any good clips, but in one episode they got all these celebrities and politicians to decry a fake drug reading from a script. This is the only clip I could find, but it's tame compared to some of the others.

Newswipe

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:33 am

Heathers is up there for me.

Ready or Not I absolutely loved!

I generally love dark comedies but for some reason I'm blanking on titles. Dead Like Me was a cable series that I thought was pretty well done.

Trainspotting and Shallow Grave had moments of dark comedy. I think one problem is that the larger budget pictures play it too tame. Someone mentioned Happiness, which, honestly, you don't find anything darker than that, but it barely registers a blip on the radar but American Beauty, which I thought was a watered down version of Happiness and The Ice Storm gets an Academy Award and praised at how avant-garde is was. Please!

I saw some list that had The Lobster and Sorry to Bother You as dark comedies. Well, yeah, I guess but I'd say the former was more absurdist, extremely rare to see, and the later Black Consciousness. Both achieved what I think they set out to do and each had laughs but not nearly as many as the two I mentioned early on. Maybe Brazil gets classified as dark comedy as well??

I feel like I'm missing some really obvious ones.