Voice or text?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Voice or text?

Post by Madrigal » Thu May 27, 2021 9:42 pm

I sent a 9 minute audio to someone and I think they got intimidated by the endless monologue, lol.

I know some people who are quite rabid about only receiving texts, it's like they got no time for audio. I sorta feel like that about video; when someone sends me a videoclip on whatsapp I watch it reluctantly or not at all. But if it's a personal audio from someone? I love those! I love long audios!

Today I noticed whatsapp has added a feature whereby you can speed-listen to an audio. So cold. :ph34r:

I admit I'm more open to text now that I use whatsapp on my computer (d'oh). Before that, most people couldn't expect a text from me in response to anything. They were getting an audio. I fucking loathe typing on my phone.

So, which camp are you in?

last_caress

Re: Voice or text?

Post by last_caress » Fri May 28, 2021 1:20 am

I went from hating text to preferring it due to the convenience. I only answer calls from numbers I know and almost never check voicemail, like maybe once every few months. I do hate chicken pecking a tiny virtual keyboard so if it seems like I'm going to have to write more than a few sentences I just call somebody.

I don't use any other sorts of apps.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Fri May 28, 2021 4:39 am

Text. With certain people I feel I need a salutation for voice, and I don't need that kind of pressure. Live voice conversations, no more of that for me.

ashi

Post by ashi » Fri May 28, 2021 11:32 am

I am in the camp of thinking most people are out of their minds with these tediously rigid rules. Sometimes I want the more personal touch of audio, sometimes I want the precision of text I can refer back to and copy/paste as needed, and if I can't trust the other person to make a judgement call and match the message to the situation then it quickly feels like their real difficulty is considering the needs of others.

I also don't trust people who are slaves to trends, like people my age who completely stopped using email and forums ( :ph34r:) because they were overtaken by a dozen horse shit social media apps and act like I am living in the 1880s because I don't use Facebook and haven't cultivated an anxiety over speaking to people I know on the phone. I have recently encounter the thinking that the very proposition of leaving or listening to voice mails is the height of absurdity, and I don't know what to make of it or how to cope with it. I swear people just choose whatever makes them the most difficult.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:52 am

I inherited a lot of social affiliations which cramp my virtuoso-handicap routine. I make it a habit to transmit a warmly detached kind of vibe for smooth relations. I'll be cool with both types of speech when it comes time to bamboozle for a future job or selling myself as compatible to a prospective marriage partner. For now, I prefer to ignore my phone.

(edited)

The better response is voice for people with charming voices, text for the ones who don't.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi