Fanciful new purchases undeserving of their own thread

Worldly and otherworldly topics
SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Fanciful new purchases undeserving of their own thread

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:07 pm

Like it says on the thread title. Bought something you're excited about? Well, don't be selfish, share it with the group! :hat:

Two weeks ago I got my paycheck and sat on the ole hard mattress and I got to thinking, "What can I waste my money on, hm? No Mashy's art is legit and I plan on hanging it on the wall you dumb ass... oh that's right! I could buy new pillows in the hopes that sleep will become more enjoyable!"

At 9:30 pm I zipped over to the local Ross Dress For Less and bought some new pillows. They're called Allerease pillows. Ostensibly it's a three-piece garment to offer better support: two 20 in x 36 in rectangles sown to a 2-inch strip that wraps around the middle. Seems to support me better inside my neck gap when laying sideways. Doesn't feel any different from a standard version tbh.

Later on, I thought, "Hm, neck comfy ... Back no comfy grr. ", so I zipped down the Kohls department store and bought an overpriced Serta mattress topper.

It's not just a piece of foam either, k'guys. "Don’t confuse mattress toppers with the products known as mattress pads or mattress protectors ... a mattress topper won’t restore your mattress to its glory days, but it can significantly increase your comfort, allowing you extra time before you need to purchase a new mattress. " (thespruce.com).

Image --> "Sweet dreams are made of me"

I think the total price tag, including sheets and such, came to over $200.

"Cooler than the other side of the pillow, right?" :vcool:
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Tags:

SomeInternetBloke

Re: Fanciful new purchases undeserving of their own thread

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:50 pm

I recently bought Dr. Andre Pinesett's course "The 5 Pillars of Studying Less & Getting Better Grades". It cost me $499. I reviewed the content. Watched a bit of the coaching sessions and surmised it's not for me. The course was mostly metacognitive strategies for properly managing thoughts, emotions, note-taking, effective reading, and bi-monthly zoom coaching. He was very friendly and refunded my money within a few hours.

I suppose I thought Dr. Pinesett was a creative type like Feynman and had developed a way to streamline studying including things like how to mind map maths for easier studying or something. But no! Also, I don't mean to imply studying is an issue. I'm certainly not a top performer. It's just my knowledge is very disorganized by default. I want to develop a shorthand for writing down maths. I also see developing my own as more cost than benefit at this point. Plus what if one already exists? No, not dabbling in semiotics (as much of it I could understand) again.
Last edited by SomeInternetBloke on Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:36 pm

Let's see bought this.

Braun Series 9 9376Cc Latest Generation Electric Shaver, Rechargeable & Cordless Electric Razor for Men Image

It's like a lawn mower for my face!

Bought this too.

Jabra Elite 85h

Here's the Jabra compared to Apple Airpods.

They work great!

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:14 am

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:36 pm
Let's see bought this.

Braun Series 9 9376Cc Latest Generation Electric Shaver, Rechargeable & Cordless Electric Razor for Men
Still a bit torn myself on the electric razor vs. the traditional razor. Generally I've used the traditional razor, but I've gotten into the habit recently of shaving once a week, and the electric razor is less painful, but not as clean. I often will go at it with the electric first, and then finish off with the traditional razor.

I guess my doubt is: is it possible to get a clean shave with an electric razor?

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:32 am

Utisz wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:14 am
I guess my doubt is: is it possible to get a clean shave with an electric razor?
You'll never get as close a shave as with a blade. However, electric is close enough to look clean shaved for general appearances (i.e. work) and much more convenient.

Electric works better on short whiskers though, so if you are only shaving once a week, you might want to stick with a blade.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:45 am

Senseye wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:32 am
You'll never get as close a shave as with a blade. However, electric is close enough to look clean shaved for general appearances (i.e. work) and much more convenient.

Electric works better on short whiskers though, so if you are only shaving once a week, you might want to stick with a blade.
Interesting. I guess I could try to up the regularity, but honestly I've shaved with a blade all my life, so the electric razor is more of a muse. Madrigal got me one after I grew out my beard for a couple of months at the start of the pandemic, living out the INTP dream of being a hermit. It grew out a bit patchy so it had to go, but she was horrified by the thought of me taking a razor to it.

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:58 pm

Utisz wrote:
SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:36 pm
Let's see bought this.

Braun Series 9 9376Cc Latest Generation Electric Shaver, Rechargeable & Cordless Electric Razor for Men
Still a bit torn myself on the electric razor vs. the traditional razor. Generally I've used the traditional razor, but I've gotten into the habit recently of shaving once a week, and the electric razor is less painful, but not as clean. I often will go at it with the electric first, and then finish off with the traditional razor.

Speaking of which what are your thoughts on the analog method and how many blades do you prefer?

ashi

Post by ashi » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:08 pm

Utisz wrote:
Still a bit torn myself on the electric razor vs. the traditional razor.
An electric shaver/trimmer is a fine tool in the kit, but shouldn't be your sole option outside of travel. Even then, a safety razor is still perfectly viable.

Personally, I own a 15-year-old German Merkur Futur and its direct Chinese knock-off.

2021-06-28 17.56.43.jpg
2021-06-28 17.56.43.jpg (314.16 KiB) Viewed 4074 times

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:44 pm

Is that thing huge or does it just look like it??

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:18 pm