Geopolitical anomalies

Worldly and otherworldly topics
MoneyJungle

Re: Geopolitical anomalies

Post by MoneyJungle » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:20 am

Arizona Daylight Savings Time. The state of Arizona doesn’t observe DST and neither do the Hopi Nation but the Navajo Nation observes. There’s an island of Hopi land surrounded by the Navajo Nation. One day they’re in synch the next they’re not. Which tribe truly holds the anti-colonial stance on DST?

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:36 pm

C.J.Woolf wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:26 am
I like geography and I like trivia. This is geographical trivia.
Is the correct answer.

A couple of odd English anomalies to chuck into the mix.

There are two English County enclaves.

'Lancashire beyond the sea' is a part of Lancashire separated from the rest of Lancashire. I used to live in a village called Witherslack, near Grange-over-Sands which was in this enclave. Historically this part of Lancashire had no road access and was accessed by walking over the estuary at low tide, a dangerous route that led to many deaths in the quicksands exposed by the sea. There is still a 'Queens guide to the sands' (currently Cedric Robinson) who knows the safe paths over the sands.

Dudley, a horrid town in the Black Country (the industrial heartlands north of Birmingham) is actually in the county of Worcestershire, but is completely surrounded by the county of Staffordshire.

I love this sort of geographical nerdity.

starjots

Post by starjots » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:17 am

MoneyJungle wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:20 am
Arizona Daylight Savings Time. The state of Arizona doesn’t observe DST and neither do the Hopi Nation but the Navajo Nation observes. There’s an island of Hopi land surrounded by the Navajo Nation. One day they’re in synch the next they’re not. Which tribe truly holds the anti-colonial stance on DST?
Interesting. If I had to guess, the Navajo Nation decided to do this because their tribal land is split between NM (which observes DST) and AZ. No reason to have their own people on different times.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:34 pm

djm wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:36 pm
Dudley, a horrid town in the Black Country (the industrial heartlands north of Birmingham) is actually in the county of Worcestershire, but is completely surrounded by the county of Staffordshire.
My grandmother, who was born and raised in Dudley and died (at 100 years old!) recently, told me that as a child. It seemed a point of superiority for the town when compared to Wolverhampton in her mind. That and how you used to hear the lions roaring from the zoo which was apparently the best in the world at the time.

Kent used to have an enclave in Essex at North Woolwich that was known as 'Kent in Essex' but it was gobbled up by London in the 1963 Greater London Act.
Ex falso, quodlibet

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:19 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:34 pm
djm wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:36 pm
My grandmother, who was born and raised in Dudley and died (at 100 years old!) recently, told me that as a child. It seemed a point of superiority for the town when compared to Wolverhampton in her mind. That and how you used to hear the lions roaring from the zoo which was apparently the best in the world at the time.

Kent used to have an enclave in Essex at North Woolwich that was known as 'Kent in Essex' but it was gobbled up by London in the 1963 Greater London Act.
My paternal grandfather was from Rowley Regis (part of Dudley) too. He didn't make 100, but his horrid mother and my wonderful Great great auntie both did. Think they hated each other so much they each wanted to outlive the other just to spite them.

Dudley zoo was a bit dilapidated by the time I was little. Remember a sad polar bear that had been rescued from a circus. He paced up and down constantly as though still in the confines of his former cage, never using the large enclosure. His fur went green from algae, and the paint had peeled on the concrete around the pool that was painted white to look like snow. Used to make me cry.

The Black Country museum in Dudley is brilliant though, you can take a barge through the mining tunnels under the castle and go down the coal pits. Love the place.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:48 pm

djm wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:19 pm
My paternal grandfather was from Rowley Regis (part of Dudley) too. He didn't make 100, but his horrid mother and my wonderful Great great auntie both did. Think they hated each other so much they each wanted to outlive the other just to spite them.
There must have been something in the blast furnance fumes that promoted longevity.
The Black Country museum in Dudley is brilliant though, you can take a barge through the mining tunnels under the castle and go down the coal pits. Love the place.
I went there many years ago. It was a sort of living museum as I remember, they had an exhibition about the typical house. For some reason I mainly remembered that people had a pig that they would feed scraps throughout the year... and that 'they would use everything except the squeak', not wasting anything, brushes from the hair, brawn, trotters, ears, everything for food. Also the mine I remember my dad saying 'mine the 'os road' was a typical greeting, from the horses that worked in the mine. Also that the Kentish miners from Shepardswell and places like that were quite well respected among miners in other parts of the country for their bravery because of the danger of digging for coal seams under the sea.
Ex falso, quodlibet