Dental overeruption

Worldly and otherworldly topics
HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Dental overeruption

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:07 pm

When you have a tooth pulled, you supposedly have to have it replaced unless the opposing tooth is pulled, to prevent overeruption of the opposing tooth, but I wonder if that's done too often and I have an idea for an alternative.

https://www.panorthodontics.com/conditi ... reruption/
Because of the lack of opposing force...there is a tendency for the tooth to erupt outside the line of the occlusion...typically referred to as overeruption, hypereruption, supraeruption, supereruption or continuous eruption...It is more common for unopposed upper jaw molars to overerupt compared to unopposed lower jaw molars...root surfaces can be exposed to the oral environment which increases the risk for dental caries or cavities...[studies show] overeruption was limited to two mm...tooth replacement is not the recommended treatment plan...and poor quality of evidence. Overeruption is typically treated by directing the tooth back to the intended position using orthodontic techniques, or by cutting the interfering portion of the tooth and installing a crown.
That's from an orthodontist's website. No doubt dental professionals with different specialties would say something different, which I've seen with what periodontists recommend compared to dentists.

So, if you get a wisdom tooth removed, it sounds like the opposing one may not need to be removed. I wonder what the "orthodontic techniques" mentioned are. Permanent braces? Moving a tooth partially into the space of the pulled tooth?

How about just taking really good care of your teeth and using fluoride mouthwash to prevent a root cavity from the less than 2mm of exposed root that may occur. My other idea is just to chew lightly on something like a popsicle stick to keep the unopposed tooth in place, like maybe just once a day.

Because my wisdom tooth chipped months ago and I'm forming arguments for the simplest possible corrective procedure. I just want a filling!

Tags:

Yesterday

Re: Dental overeruption

Post by Yesterday » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:16 pm

I remember reading this and wondering if I should hit up my Ortho buddy for advice. I didn't. Not because I don't lo... lo... *shakes face*. Not because I don't care about you. It's just I got busy. I can still ask if you want?
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:07 am

Interesting. I have not heard of this, but when I think about it, I think almost everybody has mentioned they have their wisdom teeth out either in pairs or all four.

I've never had any of my wisdom teeth pulled so I don't know. My upper ones never dropped so they are no problem, the lower ones are impacted and kind of half sticking out of my gums, but they have never bothered me so I have never messed with them. I do fear cavities in them some day, but given my age now, I figure I'll go to the grave with them.

My teeth are far from perfect though. I grew up before the age of 'braces for all' along with being rather poor alas. I should have finally got braces in my early 20's (when I got a job with dental insurance) but it just never really occurred to me at the time. One of several life regrets I suppose.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:59 pm

Yesterday wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:16 pm
I remember reading this and wondering if I should hit up my Ortho buddy for advice. I didn't. Not because I don't lo... lo... *shakes face*. Not because I don't care about you. It's just I got busy. I can still ask if you want?
Probably not worth it. I'd have to do the research on my own to be convinced of anything.