Worldly and otherworldly topics
MoneyJungle

Re: MBTI spotting

Post by MoneyJungle » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:53 pm

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:34 pm
MoneyJungle wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:29 am
The place I come across MBTI the most is on Korean variety shows/idol content. They used to talk about how their personalities were determined by blood type. I get email alerts when an MBTI thread gets big on Quora, although I’ve never posted there I can’t help but click on them. People have a hard time dealing with INTPs and god forbid they are courting an INFP. Fun fluff.
Hm. This person seems to differ when they say, "it's really really fun ... you know it's accurate."
OK MBTI is 100% real and listening to ISFJs talk is 100% torture. If we’re just posting random videos of people talking about their MBTI at least can we use celebrity INFPs??? [english subtitles available]

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:46 am

Julius_Van_Der_Beak wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:12 pm
Anyway, are people's issues with MBTI that they feel the particular test and variables measured themselves are flawed, that the application of the test results are flawed, or that they think the concept of a personality type itself is flawed?
My problem is when people take it too seriously, then it becomes a bit like horoscopes.

It's a useful and entertaining heuristic maybe, but it's pseudo-science with fundamental flaws. One of those is with border cases. Another is with repeatability. I test INTP sometimes, INFP other times. Depending on how I answer one question, I can either end up with Ti, Ne, Si and Fe, or Fi, Ne, Si, Te: half of the cognitive functions change.
MoneyJungle wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:53 pm
OK MBTI is 100% real and listening to ISFJs talk is 100% torture. If we’re just posting random videos of people talking about their MBTI at least can we use celebrity INFPs??? [english subtitles available]
Here's Jesus:

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:45 pm

There is great demand among managent idiots for pseudoscientific BS to justify their existence.

Personally I find Natural Linguistic Programming more annoying. Maybe because MBTI comes with the sweet pill that

Ex falso, quodlibet

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:50 pm

Utisz wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:46 am
Here's Jesus:

Well, shouldn't Jesus be all the personality types?

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:53 am

Julius_Van_Der_Beak wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:50 pm
Well, shouldn't Jesus be all the personality types?
I believe it was Depeche Mode who once said ...

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:16 am

This came out in The Guardian. It links PersonalityCafe.

What personality are you? How the Myers-Briggs test took over the world