MBTI spotting

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

MBTI spotting

Post by Madrigal » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:28 pm

So this may just be a fluke, but a client is having me translate a European HR presentation that explains and applies MBTI in management training.

Are these guys just kinda lost and behind the times, or have people never stopped using MBTI in the workplace, or is it actually (gasp) making a comeback?

Thread for spotting MBTI use today.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: MBTI spotting

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:43 pm

I mentioned that I watch Squirmy and Grubs. They posted this video a few months ago:

ashi

Post by ashi » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:05 am

I genuinely don't think I have seen MBTI used/mentioned in meatspace since the 90s, and even that I am not entirely convinced actually happened.

But if it did, I took a test in school and it said I would be suited to a career as an undertaker. Which is exceedingly incorrect.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:03 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:28 pm
So this may just be a fluke, but a client is having me translate a European HR presentation that explains and applies MBTI in management training.

Are these guys just kinda lost and behind the times, or have people never stopped using MBTI in the workplace, or is it actually (gasp) making a comeback?

Thread for spotting MBTI use today.
Come come huddle near. You would not believe how much I agree. Boop! :P
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:06 pm

ashi wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:05 am
I genuinely don't think I have seen MBTI used/mentioned in meatspace since the 90s, and even that I am not entirely convinced actually happened.

But if it did, I took a test in school and it said I would be suited to a career as an undertaker. Which is exceedingly incorrect.
You strike me as a poor casting choice to play a female Pinocchio. You're so real. And sweet. When was the earliest age you knew you were special? - by "special" I mean the personality equivalent to alternatively quality REI furniture? :blush: (no emotions are allowed)
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:21 am

I got bored at about 12 am last night. I remembered a sensation of some interesting shit near a dumpster about 20 minutes away. Drove there. Pretended to patronize the joint. Then I mosied over to the dumpster. All of it. Trash. *Shrugs* Oh well. I did all that because MBTI gurus told me to listen to my intuition and stop being so sensorial and shit. Fuck MBTI. :boohoo:

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:29 am

The place I come across MBTI the most is on Korean variety shows/idol content. They used to talk about how their personalities were determined by blood type. I get email alerts when an MBTI thread gets big on Quora, although I’ve never posted there I can’t help but click on them. People have a hard time dealing with INTPs and god forbid they are courting an INFP. Fun fluff.

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:28 pm

I told my doctor I'd like an MBTI test. The first test was hard. Then second one he just automatically scored and handed to me. Here it is.
https://imgur.com/en6g578

How do I fix emotional poverty. I have a limited range of emotion and but it doesn't hurt. Shouldn't it hurt. I can't hurt. Ouch. :hurt:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:12 pm

I've never felt like ESFJ or ENFJ, for instance, fit me better than INTP or perhaps ENTP (the ENTP thing is something I've considered more these days). It's just shocking how well the description seemed to describe me.

I think the biggest problem is that lots of people treat it as prescriptive, rather than descriptive. I've always seen the point as not finding a box that you feel you have to adhere to, but rather to find a label that describes you best and use that to understand yourself.

Anyway, are people's issues with MBTI that they feel the particular test and variables measured themselves are flawed, that the application of the test results are flawed, or that they think the concept of a personality type itself is flawed?

I guess the only point I'd really take issue with is the latter one (which seems to be the most common criticism), because it doesn't explain why academic psychologists use personality tests in their research (not MBTI, but Big Five, where three of the five traits have been shown to overlap with MBTI).

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:34 pm

MoneyJungle wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:29 am
The place I come across MBTI the most is on Korean variety shows/idol content. They used to talk about how their personalities were determined by blood type. I get email alerts when an MBTI thread gets big on Quora, although I’ve never posted there I can’t help but click on them. People have a hard time dealing with INTPs and god forbid they are courting an INFP. Fun fluff.
Hm. This person seems to differ when they say, "it's really really fun ... you know it's accurate."