Do you multitask a lot?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
JohnClay

Do you multitask a lot?

Post by JohnClay » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:24 am

Often I watch/listen to YouTube while browsing messageboards, emails, websites, YouTube, ebooks, articles, etc. When posting on forums I'd pause the video on YouTube (though I might watch some more then go back to the posting). Sometimes I have multiple videos open and pause them at different times.... I also have a Mac and a PC in the same room and switch between them....
Sometimes I use the YouTube hotkeys (0,1,2,3,4, etc to skip through the video or J/K/L to go back 10 seconds, pause/play, or go forward 10 seconds)
Maybe it is a form of procrastination from what I really want to do which is to learn the Unity game engine and then work on my Brutal Bible Blood Baths game.

Perhaps this is related to having a very short attention span....

Tags:

Utisz

Re: Do you multitask a lot?

Post by Utisz » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:25 am

JohnClay wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:24 am
Often I watch/listen to YouTube while browsing messageboards, emails, websites, YouTube, ebooks, articles, etc. When posting on forums I'd pause the video on YouTube (though I might watch some more then go back to the posting). Sometimes I have multiple videos open and pause them at different times.... I also have a Mac and a PC in the same room and switch between them....
Sometimes I use the YouTube hotkeys (0,1,2,3,4, etc to skip through the video or J/K/L to go back 10 seconds, pause/play, or go forward 10 seconds)
I think it depends on the task but I guess I tend to focus on one thing at a time, like when my girlfriend talks while we're watching something I'll usually hit pause because I can barely process one stream of audio let alone two. But with work I often have to switch between tasks a lot. I guess there are certain mechanical things I can do at the same time, like I can pour a cup of tea while getting some toast out of the toaster at the same time. Not sure if that counts ...

I wonder if there's like a standardised test for multi-core processing.
Maybe it is a form of procrastination from what I really want to do which is to learn the Unity game engine and then work on my Brutal Bible Blood Baths game.
Neat!

If you make it historical enough, it'll be interesting to see if they allow it in Alabama's schools.

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:41 am

Utisz wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:25 am
JohnClay wrote:
......Maybe it is a form of procrastination from what I really want to do which is to learn the Unity game engine and then work on my Brutal Bible Blood Baths game.
Neat!

If you make it historical enough, it'll be interesting to see if they allow it in Alabama's schools.
I want to make it follow the Bible as closely as possible.... e.g. the genocide would involve the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites...

For the proper game I want to use this computerized boy voice:
https://brutal-bible.s3.us-east-2.amazo ... v-test.mp3

I want to make the genocide level be similar to Minecraft - Brutal Bible Boxy Blocks Blood Baths... though it would also have corpses and blood and you can chop bodies up.... the blocks could be warped/distorted so they're bent boxy blocks...

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:28 pm

No, I don't and I can't. Reading so much as a whatsapp message while in the middle of work will side-track me for the next 20 mins. Not because I'll be answering that whatsapp the whole time, mind you. I'll (possibly) answer the whatsapp, then open a news site and browse random things, get up and make a coffee, stand in front of the window and think about something for an indefinite amount of time, remember I should give the cat some food, remember maybe I should have a snack, and so on and so forth until I finally get back to focusing on work again.

So when people wonder why I don't always answer or read whatsapp messages on the spot, that's why. I would literally get no work done if I answered incoming texts and emails on the spot. And congrats to anyone who can do that and refocus on their task immediately.
Utisz wrote:

I think it depends on the task but I guess I tend to focus on one thing at a time, like when my girlfriend talks while we're watching something I'll usually hit pause because I can barely process one stream of audio let alone two.
I can't process 2 streams either but the difference is I don't really think it matters if I miss a small part of a movie. :P

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:08 am

JohnClay wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:41 am
Utisz wrote:
JohnClay wrote:
......Maybe it is a form of procrastination from what I really want to do which is to learn the Unity game engine and then work on my Brutal Bible Blood Baths game.
Neat!

I want to make it follow the Bible as closely as possible.... e.g. the genocide would involve the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites...

For the proper game I want to use this computerized boy voice:
https://brutal-bible.s3.us-east-2.amazo ... v-test.mp3

I want to make the genocide level be similar to Minecraft - Brutal Bible Boxy Blocks Blood Baths... though it would also have corpses and blood and you can chop bodies up.... the blocks could be warped/distorted so they're bent boxy blocks...
you should post footage of you building the new part of your game; just clips or something ya know? invite the crew along with you on your creative process Johny. (C'mon Johnny, B. Goode - a Chuck Berry song reference about a simpleton guitar virtuoso from Louisianna. Not so simple I spose).
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:06 am

apparently not, so I missed out on what seems like the biggest bash of my Summer yet. :palm:
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi