Olympics

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Utisz

Olympics

Post by Utisz » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:04 am

Do y'all watch the Olympics? Anything particular you watch out for? Do you get all nationalistic? Or don't care?

Tags:

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: Olympics

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:45 pm

Not team sports or less physical stuff like curling and luge. I like track and field, gymnastics, and maybe weightlifting and table tennis.

Oh, and I think the biggest competitors of the US are even bigger cheaters than we are and crappy countries so I get a little nationalistic, but it was fun when a European team beat us in basketball several years ago.

edit: I think it was an Asian team that beat the US but it was still fun.
Last edited by HighlyIrregular on Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:25 pm

I do generally watch. I'll turn on to some rando stuff, too. Like, sometimes I'll just tune in to watch even if I wouldn't otherwise watch rowing or badminton. Track & field are my favorites, particularly 100M, long jump 4x 100M relay, high jump and maybe javelin. Oh, boxing can be great but the judging...very odd sometimes, just like gymnastics. I have gotten more into women's gymnastics over the years. Sorta like women's ice skating. My mom always liked these but for the most part I thought some parts were cool but I'd rather see something else.

I was so, so, sooo disappointed to learn of Sha'carri Richardson's suspension. Like, the first time I was ever more jazzed to see the 100 Meters Women's than men. The potential finals of her, Pocket Rocket from Jamaica and Blessing Okagbare from Nigeria had world record time written all over it.

I don't know how nationalistic I get. I'm always rooting for the good ol' U S of A but then I'm also bemoaning the fact that NBC doesn't show enough events where an American athlete is the favorite to win. There are some interesting people here. I'll say interesting when I could use the term petulant babies. They'll get mad at some women soccer players taking a knee before a game during the national anthem, then cheer when they lose, but be the same ones who say if you're not proud of the USA and drape yourself in a flag then you shouldn't play. They'll get mad at NBA players not playing, then cheer when the ones who do play lose. They'll get mad when NBA players or women's soccer players saying they want either to be paid or have equal training facilities and say "well, you should just play for the honor of representing your country" but then turn around and get mad at the men's relay team doing bodybuilding poses with the flag after they do win. It's clearly a long-standing deep -seeded race issue at heart. Though I'm just happy for those who compete.

My long standing gripe has been coverage. I hate, hate, hate tape delays! I get doing it for replays but can we just see the events as they happen? I hate getting up early but if the men's hoops finals are at 4 AM, I can suck it up once every 4 years and do it.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:10 pm

I will watch some of it.

I prefer races and or measured things (distance, weight, goals scored, etc). Competitions that have a clear outcome not involving judging.

I guess I root for the home team, but I am not too nationalistic. Lucky for me, as Canada usually punches well below it's weight. For example, Australia will usually double or triple Canada's medal count, despite having a smaller population.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:22 pm

Am I just a dirty old man or are there like a higher percentage of hot females competing? Like, real high! Across so many sports.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:19 am

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:45 pm
Oh, and I think the biggest competitors of the US are even bigger cheaters than we are and crappy countries so I get a little nationalistic, but it was fun when a European team beat us in basketball several years ago.

edit: I think it was an Asian team that beat the US but it was still fun.
Did you post this before, during or after France beat the U.S. in basketball? :ph34r:

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:04 am

Utisz wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:19 am
Did you post this before, during or after France beat the U.S. in basketball? :ph34r:
I just read about that now. I'll watch the last 8 minutes on Youtube.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:18 am

Is there anything better in sports than a gymnast blowing a perfect routine right at the end?

starla

Post by starla » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:00 am

Spartan26 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:22 pm
Am I just a dirty old man or are there like a higher percentage of hot females competing? Like, real high! Across so many sports.
I think it’s a combo of you being a dirty old man and a societal shift in female beauty standards toward athleticism and away from the malnourished look in the west.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:23 am

starla wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:00 am
Spartan26 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:22 pm
I think it’s a combo of you being a dirty old man and a societal shift in female beauty standards toward athleticism and away from the malnourished look in the west.
Yeah, but I've never liked the waif-thin or modely type. I don't really think I have a type but I do appreciate a girl with a little meat on her bones. Makes for especially well-sculpted legs...and above, a-hem. I just seem to remember seeing more of the Mary Decker Slaneys, Jackie Joyner-Kersees, and Amy Van Dykens competing over the years. Fine for a box of cereal but they weren't hot. Who were some prominent athletes of the early 2000s? Amanda Beard, Justin Henin, Carli Lloyd, none of them would I have posted in any of the sexiest women threads that have popped up over the years. I feel like the number of Michelle Jenneke, Hope Solo, Winifer Fernandez level talent I'm seeing across the board has risen greatly. I don't know if I were 20 years younger would I look at them and go, 'meh.'