Olympics

Worldly and otherworldly topics
SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Re: Olympics

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:51 am

"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:30 pm

C.J.Woolf wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:07 pm
MoneyJungle wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:06 am
We need these people competing at random stuff.
That what The Superstars was for. (Is anyone besides me old enough to remember that trash sports show on ABC?) It threw together top-level athletes from many sports. The event winners were sometimes surprising, but the most successful groups were football players and track and field athletes.
Now I just want to see who can do the most push-ups out of current Olympians. The smart money is probably on rings guys but the lighter wrestlers might have a shot and probably light boxers too. Possibly rowers. Maybe even swimmers
For what it's worth, when I was a skinny kid I could do more chin-ups than anyone else in my class, and I didn't train for it at all.
We had a version of that in Britain when I was growing up (late 70s early 80s). A couple of years ago I met a famous footballer from the era at a do (Kevin Keegan, former Liverpool and England captain) who told me it was brutal. He came off a bike and though they cut it out from the show the wound went to the bone and he missed a month of playing. Reckoned it was worse than anything he go in football and that there is no way insurance companies would allow it these days. Was a nice bloke although he didn't take kindly to my fondest memory of him (Aston Villa spanking then 5-0).

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:33 am

MoneyJungle wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:06 am
Now I just want to see who can do the most push-ups out of current Olympians. The smart money is probably on rings guys but the lighter wrestlers might have a shot and probably light boxers too. Possibly rowers. Maybe even swimmers :shrug: We need these people competing at random stuff.
If it was pull ups I'd put my money on Lisa Carrington...

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:10 am

djm wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:30 pm
We had a version of that in Britain when I was growing up (late 70s early 80s). A couple of years ago I met a famous footballer from the era at a do (Kevin Keegan, former Liverpool and England captain) who told me it was brutal. He came off a bike and though they cut it out from the show the wound went to the bone and he missed a month of playing. Reckoned it was worse than anything he go in football and that there is no way insurance companies would allow it these days. Was a nice bloke although he didn't take kindly to my fondest memory of him (Aston Villa spanking then 5-0).
I remember this above all:
Ex falso, quodlibet

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:02 am

Utisz wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:18 pm
Any sports anyone thinks should not be in the olympics? There's some debate about the new sports like skateboarding and whatnot.
I was thinking that events where the same person can win multiple medals are kinda dumb, like 100m, 200m, blah blah. Maybe relays get a pass.

Roger Mexico

Post by Roger Mexico » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:51 am

I kinda want them to add that game with the giant hamster balls from American Gladiators.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:26 am

Roger Mexico wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:51 am
I kinda want them to add that game with the giant hamster balls from American Gladiators.

I'm down.