Olympics

Worldly and otherworldly topics
jyng1

Re: Olympics

Post by jyng1 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:55 am

Jaysus; they have a crash in the Madison and the commentators hardly raise an eyebrow "oh it looks like the US rider has a broken wrist, he won't be back".

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:18 pm

I've barely seen any olympics here with work and no TV.

Any sports anyone thinks should not be in the olympics? There's some debate about the new sports like skateboarding and whatnot.

Park

Post by Park » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:19 pm

Utisz wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:18 pm

Any sports anyone thinks should not be in the olympics? There's some debate about the new sports like skateboarding and whatnot.
Curling and shooting, I prefer sports that involve more athleticism. Racewalking because it looks silly. I'd enjoy watching raw powerlifting at the Olympics but that probably wohn't happen since they allready have one strength sport with a problematic reputation.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:18 am

John Hyman wrote:Suggestion for the floor exercises: Just let it be 3 or 4 tumbling runs instead of the arm-waving stuff in between.
Either that or break down the score between artistic composition and skill. I wasn't impressed by Jade Carey's performance and she won gold. I want her to know that her "arm-waving stuff" sucked. There's potential for something much better between the runs and if she could get a gold with that then you might as well leave it out.

What is this webpage: https://www.joynewsbd.net/p/Gymnastics/ ... k_thereof/

"usa_artistry_on_floor_or_lack_thereof" ... I want to read about that! Where's the page?

OK, it's hare:

At least there's talk about it.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:12 am

Utisz wrote:

I was watching it at work... I got busy and just remembered the boys were racing in the K4 500 and managed to get to one of the TVs in time.

We mainly see the sports that we compete in (Sky has 12 channels but I don't get Sky) and most of those are quite interesting (to me). I even watched the women's hammer because there was a Kiwi girl in it. That was actually quite emotional as her dad was there as her coach and was the main caregiver when she and her sisters were young and he was the one who'd brought a hammer home and said 'let's give this a go".

She said for every hour she'd spent training, he'd spent three learning how to coach her.

Probably my favourite athlete of the games so far...

Sarah Cowley Ross has been presenting and she's been awesome.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:32 am

Finished 4th on the per capita medal table behind: San Marino, Bermuda and Grenada... After lagging for most of the games Canada makes a late charge and comes through to knock us into 12th place on the total medal table.

Noir

Post by Noir » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:50 am

Utisz wrote:

Cue sports. Any/all forms of Billiards/3-cushion/Snooker. Doesn't get enough love.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:49 am

One last, maybe last, well, prolly not, on the subject of looks, two gymnasts, well two that immediately spring to mind of former Olympians who turned into bombshells, after they hit 40, Nadia Comaneci and Dominique Dawes.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lacrosse as an Olympic sport. It's one where men & women play in a number of countries. It's definitely not a huge sport but it's more than just North America.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:01 am

Also, not gon lie, I wish they'd have conversion subtitles listed for like kg and meters over 400. Pounds and feet, please! If you're only going to show Americans, NBC, and miss a buncha stuff since you think we don't care about anyone other than ourselves, why not go full jingo and super impose items in terms we can understand? Like at the start of the 1500 Meters put down at the bottom (About a football field short of a mile) Then we'd be like, Ah, OK, I got it! Now I know what to be impressed by.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:29 am

Spartan26 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:01 am
Also, not gon lie, I wish they'd have conversion subtitles listed for like kg and meters over 400. Pounds and feet, please!
Funny... there were a few commentators using imperial units at times and I was wondering who the fuck they were for. I can cope with a few imperial units (flying required knowing knots, American and English Gallons etc plus metric), but I'll be buggered if I can be bothered converting fahrenheit or any other ridiculous measurement.