Olympics

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Noir

Re: Olympics

Post by Noir » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:01 pm

Utisz wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:18 pm
I've barely seen any olympics here with work and no TV.

Any sports anyone thinks should not be in the olympics? There's some debate about the new sports like skateboarding and whatnot.
I do think it's interesting the degree to which they decided to cannibalize the X-Games this year. Though I am in no way discounting the legitimacy of skateboarding/BMX as a sport. Did anyone watch the Men's BMX Freestyle?? That shit is insane.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:37 pm

They need calishtenics. You can’t tell me people wouldn’t be more interested in who can do more push-ups than synchronized diving.

Park

Post by Park » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:36 pm

MoneyJungle wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:37 pm
They need calishtenics. You can’t tell me people wouldn’t be more interested in who can do more push-ups than synchronized diving.
Yes, but perhaps too close to ring gymnastics or bar gymnastics?

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:51 am

"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:06 am

Park wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:36 pm
MoneyJungle wrote:
Hi, Park :hi:

Now I just want to see who can do the most push-ups out of current Olympians. The smart money is probably on rings guys but the lighter wrestlers might have a shot and probably light boxers too. Possibly rowers. Maybe even swimmers :shrug: We need these people competing at random stuff.

C.J.Woolf

Post by C.J.Woolf » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:07 pm

MoneyJungle wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:06 am
We need these people competing at random stuff.
That what The Superstars was for. (Is anyone besides me old enough to remember that trash sports show on ABC?) It threw together top-level athletes from many sports. The event winners were sometimes surprising, but the most successful groups were football players and track and field athletes.
Now I just want to see who can do the most push-ups out of current Olympians. The smart money is probably on rings guys but the lighter wrestlers might have a shot and probably light boxers too. Possibly rowers. Maybe even swimmers
For what it's worth, when I was a skinny kid I could do more chin-ups than anyone else in my class, and I didn't train for it at all.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:49 pm

MoneyJungle wrote:

Now I just want to see who can do the most push-ups out of current Olympians. The smart money is probably on rings guys but the lighter wrestlers might have a shot and probably light boxers too. Possibly rowers. Maybe even swimmers :shrug: We need these people competing at random stuff.
I'd bet on one of the swimmers/rower types who need stamina as much as strength. But as you say a lightweight boxer or maybe even a skinny distance runner might surprise.

Park

Post by Park » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:40 pm

MoneyJungle wrote:
Park wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:36 pm
MoneyJungle wrote:
Hi, Park :hi:

Hi there MoneyJungle :hi:

Just to make sure, you do mean push-ups and not pull-ups? I don’t know much about calisthenics but I mostly connect it with dangling from a bar.
C.J.Woolf wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:07 pm
That what The Superstars was for. (Is anyone besides me old enough to remember that trash sports show on ABC?) It threw together top-level athletes from many sports. The event winners were sometimes surprising, but the most successful groups were football players and track and field athletes.
I recently saw something similar just with Strength athletes a bodybuilder, weightlifter, powerlifter and a crosfitter. It was quite entertaining and funny. Edited to add, in connection with your age…you must be quite old. I watched a bit of Superstars on YouTube, it’s so oldschool that bumperplates wasn’t invented and the men needed spotters to catch the bar loaded with solid metal if they missed a clean and jerk, that thing would surely break any floor. It was also quite smart they Way they measured vertical jump, by putting chalk on their fingertips and touching a black board :-) .

Last edited by Park on Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:42 pm

C.J.Woolf wrote:

For what it's worth, when I was a skinny kid I could do more chin-ups than anyone else in my class, and I didn't train for it at all.
*Hands CJ his lunch money and backs away slowly*

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:50 am

C.J.Woolf wrote:
MoneyJungle wrote:
We need these people competing at random stuff.
I remember The Superstars! I think more so I wanted to be famous so I could be on Battle of the Network Stars and run the anchor spot on the relay to win it for ABC.