Olympics

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Utisz

Re: Olympics

Post by Utisz » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:38 pm

Seems Ireland won a couple of medals, but they're not to be found anywhere on the web (at least without a "This video is not available in your country" fuck-you). Kind of frustrating that they would sell out the rights like that for the Olympics, idk.
Buttrock as zen wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:59 pm
Cannot wait for Lasha to absolutely decimate the weightlifting world next week.
Not gonna lie, watching weightlifting makes me nervous, like the athletes are about to crumple like a beer can under all that weight, or they're gonna drop the bar on their kneecaps or something. :nope:

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:02 pm

Utisz wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:38 pm
Seems Ireland won a couple of medals, but they're not to be found anywhere on the web (at least without a "This video is not available in your country" fuck-you). Kind of frustrating that they would sell out the rights like that for the Olympics, idk.
Buttrock as zen wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:59 pm
Cannot wait for Lasha to absolutely decimate the weightlifting world next week.
Not gonna lie, watching weightlifting makes me nervous, like the athletes are about to crumple like a beer can under all that weight, or they're gonna drop the bar on their kneecaps or something. :nope:
This just in: Ireland's Olympic metals win a metal for becoming 2021 Olympic Hide and Seek champs.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:06 am

It'll be interesting if Laurel Hubbard gets a medal tonight (not likely). She doesn't have a lot of support here (or anywhere).

I get the impression even the transgender community are in two minds...

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:38 am

Utisz wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:38 pm
Maybe the Aussies stole them...

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:46 am

jyng1 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:06 am
It'll be interesting if Laurel Hubbard gets a medal tonight (not likely). She doesn't have a lot of support here (or anywhere).

I get the impression even the transgender community are in two minds...
Oh well, she's gone... the conservative christians will be rejoicing. Beaten by an even dozen "real women".

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:22 pm

djm wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:58 am
Madrigal wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:59 pm
Though I guess I think we've come along way when a gymnast will stop competing to prioritize "mental health".
A long way backwards - what a narcissist. Never heard anyone talk abut 'mental health' here until about five years ago, now all of a sudden its a buzz word.

I would far prefer Britain got back to its traditional 'stiff upper lip' keep your problems to yourself and get on with it attitude. The more you pander to feelings the more flaky people become, it's really not healthy and is most unedifying. Another unwelcome load of guff coming from America.

Not a huge fan of the Olympics, but if an athlete gets to compete in them then they are letting themselves and their country down if they flake out because they're having a bad day. Imagine how the athlete that just missed out on going feels now. Very selfish.
Normally, I wouldn't think any athlete with 30+ gold medals from Olympics and int'l competition needs defending but some of these posts are real head scratchers. First, if she were a narcissist, she'd blame everyone except herself. Mental health has long been an issue in sports. Yogi Berra, NY Yankee HoF catcher & manager famously said, “90 percent of baseball is mental, the other half is physical.” Some of the most successful American coaches, though varied in styles, (you likely don't know them but I hate presenting a case without backup) like Bob Wooden and his pyramid of success, Dick Vermeil and his impassioned, in your face emotional encouragement, players' coach Barry Switzer, to tyrants like Woody Hayes or Bobby Knight, to the talent whisperers like Tony Dungy or Greg Popovich, know that only a certain percentage of success is based on X's & O's or developing technique but the larger portion is dealing with athletes on a mental and emotional level. Hell, Phil Jackson, who does credit the talented players, of which he's had many of the best, for his double-digit championships, bases his coaching style on his triangle zen offense, which is also his approach to life, not just the game. Since the turn of the century to the 1900s, when sports became such a focal point of society, the mental and emotional component has always been a part of competition.

Stress can manifest itself in the body in many different ways. Much of the time, athletes won't even say they felt stressed when they become injured. When I was a kid, I'd wonder why so many baseball players had injuries when it's a non-contact sport. Well, stress plus repetitive motion activities cause tears, inflammation, and pulls. On rare occasion you'll see it as direct mental manifestation where a catcher can't throw the ball back to the pitcher or down to 2nd base but usually it presents in a physical ailment. Lots of players face additional stress and pressure from within their organization to get back out onto the field or court before they're ready and it only leads to additional injury. Those that do sit longer than initially diagnosed period out or want to go by their personal doctor's rec, instead of the team physician, are labeled as a diva or lazy. Coaches will often take the blame for poor play or miscommunication when athletes inexplicably don't execute. Every year, across all sports, there are stretches where the top players in the world don't have it. They’re called slumps. There’s no one size fits all solution. Everyone from coaches to announcers will say the same thing of the superstars, “He’ll figure it out.” They don’t have answers, they just basically hope the problem fixes itself. When superstars disappear in playoff series or in some big games, how much of that is mental?

Other elite athletes in team sports have the luxury of having a coach who'll bench them when all’s not right and be the fall guy if need be. The coach can say, “I didn't like the match up” or “we had different plans for him, that's why he wasn't in the game,” blah x3, and while they get second guessed, it doesn't necessarily fall back on the athlete. Over time, for some, there may be a knock that they can’t win the big one, but to knock the most decorated athlete in the history of the sport is pure lunacy. For Simone to say "I can't," and not blame it on an injury, is a huge step forward.

As far keeping problems to yourself and the whole stiff upper lip thing is concerned, you know, people around the world will label Brits as repressed, don't you?? Jokes aside, holding problems in is extremely unhealthy. Lots of Americans keep their problems in, and it’s no wonder that heart disease is the #1 killer here. PTSD, recreational drug & alcohol addiction, prescription drug addiction, 50% divorce rate, teen suicide, police & doctor suicide, mass shooting, road rage, high employee turnover, morbid obesity rates, high credit card debt, low workforce satisfaction rates, in many of these national crisis issues, poor mental & emotional processing is at the root.

As far as Simone goes, as a teenager, she kept the fact that while injured and trying to prepare for the 2016 Summer Games, she was being molested by her team doctor! She went on to win 5 gold medals. Does she get a 6th for keeping it in? She was one of the last to acknowledge, 3 years after the allegations against Nassar came to light, that she too was a victim. For someone to be the anchor and face of US gymnastics, not losing over an 8 year stretch, to be questioned about needing to take a sit is again pure lunacy. Brief side note, there's a reason why Eddie Murphy, who was against what Bill Cosby did, refused to make a joke about him. Same thing for why Tom Osborne, Bobby Bowden or Urban Meyer were against what Joe Paterno let go on but didn't come out hard to condemn. Different shoes they walk in.

Simon's given more and delivered more to the sport than anyone. There are moves named after her in different events. She’s not given proper credit for the degree of difficulty her routines should and rules are being changed because of her dominance. And the governing body knows this! She thinks it's not fair but never belabored the point or put up a formal protest. She didn’t get chosen to go to the Olympics based on some lottery, anyone sitting at home had the chance to knock her off but couldn’t. Correction, 2nd & 3rd couldn’t knock her off, so no sense wondering what 4th could’ve done. And likely, it would’ve been more than one person vying in different categories, it’s been very few over the years who can compete as effectively across so many events.

Twisties, that she has, is an involuntary bodily response. Just like a stroke or heart attack or even ulcers. It’s vertigo in the air. It’s not a bad case of butterflies or cold sweats or a panic attack that can be talked through. She knew she was in trouble early on. A stumble here, a wobble there, won't put her legacy in jeopardy, she knew that a C6 would be a more likely outcome than a even bronze medal.
HighlyIrregular wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:34 pm
I think she's a liability to any team she's on. She should just train people and maybe do Youtube videos where she could show the world how good she is and cut the parts where she couldn't perform.
In most gymnastic meets, the margin of separation is within a few one hundredths of a point. With Biles competing, US wins by upwards of 1.5 to nearly 2 points. How is having the highest accumulating point totaler a liability?

Did anyone call Bret Farve a liability? Was Barry Bonds a liability? Or how about Peyton Manning? Cuz all three had moments where personal pride, arrogance, or selfish acts cost their team their team the chance to advance to the championship or the title itself. In Farve’s case, it was his refusal to run the coach’s play that resulted in the delay of game/too many men on the field penalty that cost his Vikes the game against the Saints. Bonds refusal to shift for the left handed batter cost his Pirates game 7 against the Braves and the chance to go to the World Series. And whether you want to count Manning being crap in the cold, he threw a pick six in the final drive of the Super Bowl. The best players don’t always come through. G.O.A.Ts can also be a goat of a game. Even the biggest game. Maybe in ’95, when Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera got sent down to the minors, they shoulda filmed instructional vhs videos for high school players, instead of being liabilities to the Yankees and winning 5 World Series together?

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:31 pm

Spartan26 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:22 pm
Was Bret Farve a liability? Was Barry Bonds a liability? How about Peyton Manning? Cuz all three had moments where personal pride and arrogance cost their team their team the chance to advance to the championship or the title itself. In Farve’s case, it was his refusal to run the coach’s play that resulted in the delay of game/too many men on the field penalty that cost his Vikes the game against the Saints. Bonds refusal to shift for the left handed batter cost his Pirates game 7 against the Braves and the chance to go to the World Series. And whether you want to count Manning being crap in the cold, he threw a pick six in the final drive of the Super Bowl. The best players don’t always come through. G.O.A.Ts can also be a goat of a game. Even the biggest game. Maybe in ’95, when Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera got sent down to the minors, they shoulda filmed instructional vhs videos for high school players, instead of being liabilities to the Yankees and winning 5 World Series together?
They could agree to change and then they'll change. Biles's situation seems more difficult. They saw that she wasn't overcoming her problems in training. I don't know that there's ever been a situation like that before.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:36 pm

djm wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:01 pm
Spartan26 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:22 pm
Am I just a dirty old man or are there like a higher percentage of hot females competing? Like, real high! Across so many sports.
You might want to give the weightlifting a miss.
Haha, yeah! While I wouldn't call her hot, Chinese Taipei has a competitor who's pretty cute. She's jacked! But not bad.

But the odds of finding the hottie once you get past the welterweight I'm sure is greatly diminished. It is funny how bodybuilding and weightlifting can produce such markedly different body types and seemingly faces. That's both men and women. I knew one of the new American Gladiators, (not Gina Carano but that class), and I went to a couple of tapings and saw them in costume & street clothes. None of them were small but they were all beautiful. Obviously, TV can take their pick. I can't remember any of the specifics but they'd mention some numbers of what they were working on at the gym and they were commendable but not jaw dropping, like some of the competitive endurance or crossfit competitors, even women I’d see at my own gym.

Kind of a side note, I do wonder what sort of guidelines they're going to come up with for trans-athletes competing in certain events. That's such a huge subject in itself. Like, I'd be inclined to believe that playing sports would be a good way to re-orient oneself to the world. There's discipline, goal setting, camaraderie, strength building, fun, an easy way to just be yourself, but fairness I would question. Do you set guidelines based on bio markers, age or years since transitioning? I could see flag football and co-ed softball becoming more popular in the US for high school and younger.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:02 pm

I have no problem with big strong women. I like the arm wrestler Gabriella Vasconcelos.

Park

Post by Park » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:46 pm

I watch weightlifting and I’m looking foreward to see Lasha Talakhadze lift on wednesday. Amazing that this guy can snatch more than most men can dream of deadlifting. Other lifters I’ve enjoyed watching are Kuo Hsing-chun 59kg and Shi Zhiyong 73kg. A newer lifter I thought was really cool was Jourdan Delacruz from the US, what a shame she didn’t get any good lifts in the C&J, she’s just This tiny 49kg girl who just plays with weights over twice her own bodyweight.