Olympics

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Utisz

Re: Olympics

Post by Utisz » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:53 pm

Utisz wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:49 pm
I guess this is rugby union, rather than rugby league?

The most common type of turnover in rugby league happens because of a rule whereby when a player of the opposing team gets tackled and goes to ground, they have to let go of the ball once on the ground within a couple of seconds. A player that is on their feet (from either side) can then try to grab the ball. So if a player gets "isolated", this means that they get tackled away from sufficient teammates for their teammates to retain the ball once the tackler is released. For this reason you have "rucks" involving several players when a tackle is made (usually the forwards, the more "sturdy" players, with teammates trying to retain possession and the opposing team trying to contest the ball; teammates have an advantage as the tackled player will often roll to face them and release in the ball in their direction). There are some rules on how the ball is contested, mainly each player has to be on their feet, and they have to approach the ruck from their team's side; they cannot go around the side of the ruck, or from the opposing side. Also the player who makes the tackle has to clearly release the tackler before trying to contest the ball in this way. Of course, professional teams are good at retaining possession, but there is a bit of a risk/reward dynamic in that a player who makes a break is in danger of getting themselves isolated if they do not have support players close by.

There are other types of turnover possible (without handling errors), like intercepting a pass (quite rare), or a "choke tackle" where a player is tackled on their feet and unable to do anything (this is sort of a trick as this is considered a "maul", a sort of standing mob of players huddled together pushing forward, where the team with the ball are expected to force progress or lose possession).

I think the rules for rugby union are among the most complicated in the world, but its also one of the best refereed sports in the world.
I just realised what thread this is in. :palm:

In Rugby Sevens it's roughly the same concept of the tackler having to release. You can see some examples here:

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:59 pm

Utisz wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:23 pm
Just want to throw my hat in the ring for hurling becoming an Olympic sport. :hat:
I'd like to see Aussie Rules football in. Seeing every other country brave enough to face the Aussies at it have a go would be amusing, and even better if there was a shock upset too.

My own country is fortunate that its traditional upper class activities of riding horses, sailing, shooting at things and hitting people with swords are all included. Pretty much guarantees us medals.

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:01 pm

Spartan26 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:22 pm
Am I just a dirty old man or are there like a higher percentage of hot females competing? Like, real high! Across so many sports.
You might want to give the weightlifting a miss.

C.J.Woolf

Post by C.J.Woolf » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:18 pm

Utisz wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:53 pm
In Rugby Sevens it's roughly the same concept of the tackler having to release. You can see some examples here:
Thanks; the video really helped.

If I read it right, a defender can always strip the ball. That's standard American football technique too. The tackled ball carrier wants to keep his body between the ball and all opposing players so they can make a clear pass to a teammate. In one example the Fijian tackler turned the ball carrier around so the ball had nowhere to go but into Fijian hands. Slick.

It's impressive that the Fijians were aggressive on defense yet they left no holes for an attacker to exploit.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:09 pm

[post voiced as Carl The Contrarion] dem shwimmers gots fiesty butt burgers fer shwimmin. I suspect that the LGBTQ community would be surprised by the cultural ripple effects of modifying the male swimmers' bathing suit design. but myopia and such I guess. what I'm saying is a well chiseld aquatic specimen like Michael Phelps would destroy a female bathing suit with his masculine curves. Just sayin'.

*gyrates hips to the beat of his cell phone ring tone* hello? mhm this is Carl. I got no problem with phone calls ma'am it' just I can't help but get the picha of your booty out my mind. help old Carl rub one off... Slam!(or did I get at complement turnt roun', *grumble*)
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:57 pm

C.J.Woolf wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:18 pm
Utisz wrote:

If I read it right, a defender can always strip the ball. That's standard American football technique too. The tackled ball carrier wants to keep his body between the ball and all opposing players so they can make a clear pass to a teammate. In one example the Fijian tackler turned the ball carrier around so the ball had nowhere to go but into Fijian hands. Slick.

It's impressive that the Fijians were aggressive on defense yet they left no holes for an attacker to exploit.
Once the tackled player is taken to ground, the tackler must immediately release the tackled player. Players can only contest the ball from a standing position and only after coming in from their side of play.

The women start tomorrow... that should be good as well.

Shame there's only 10,000 people able to attend; the party is the main reason to go to a Sevens tournament (they don't have standalone games).

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:20 am

And Fiji and New Zealand will play for Gold...

aaannnd... congrats to Fiji. Good game.

Just saw a post on Facebook:

You somehow feel Fiji need that 'Gold' more than anyone right now...

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:59 pm

I don't care for the Olympics beyond the political undertones. I definitely never understood the way people could get wrapped up in the personal tribulations and success stories of athletes.

Though I guess I think we've come along way when a gymnast will stop competing to prioritize "mental health".

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:50 am

C.J.Woolf wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:18 pm
Utisz wrote:

They can strip the ball, but only in certain ways (that jyng mentioned) so that it doesn't become too much of a free-for-all. :-)

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:34 am

Utisz wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:50 am
They can strip the ball, but only in certain ways (that jyng mentioned) so that it doesn't become too much of a free-for-all. :-)
The girls are playing Kenya... looks like a free for all ;)