Buy nothing

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Buy nothing

Post by Madrigal » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:01 am

Have you stopped buying stuff since the pandemic began? Has it changed your outlook?

I stopped buying clothes, shoes and skin/cosmetics products. I currently have a single pair of jeans that fit and I don't care. :mellow:

I feel a little ambivalent about going back to decent levels of shopping. I suppose I do need the skin care.

Tags:

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Re: Buy nothing

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:14 am

Remember to treat yo skin like a friend! :thumbsup:

Also, I made many useless trips to the grocery store during the highest heights of the pademic. I even bought clothes to help me appear more attractive. I started hitting on women and even considered becoming a play toy for some old women at various junctures of enibriation and such.

Also, bought a bunch of oversized boxer briefs because I was convinced my body would horizontally metamorphose. I was right.

Also, also got into drinking ice-cold ginger beer and chewing teriyaki lamb jerky.

Btw, can you dance in those pants? If they're fully functional you're set. Besides minimalism is supposed to be like the traveler's style I thought.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:09 am

I buy a lot of useless crap and I may have even stepped things up in the last year. I justify it by considering what I would spend on going out to movies in a non-pandemic year (I also went on an extended hiatus from booze, which was a spendy habit pre-covid). I have a decent collection of watches and pocket knives. I probably buy an article of clothing a week. Sometimes I buy a book to justify browsing in a bookstore for an hour. Bike parts. Video games. Kitchen gadgets. Art supplies. I shop to get out of the house without exercising. Drunken sailor minus the booze and ocean. I can take it all with me, right guys?

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:56 pm

MoneyJungle wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:09 am
I buy a lot of useless crap and I may have even stepped things up in the last year. I justify it by considering what I would spend on going out to movies in a non-pandemic year (I also went on an extended hiatus from booze, which was a spendy habit pre-covid). I have a decent collection of watches and pocket knives. I probably buy an article of clothing a week. Sometimes I buy a book to justify browsing in a bookstore for an hour. Bike parts. Video games. Kitchen gadgets. Art supplies. I shop to get out of the house without exercising. Drunken sailor minus the booze and ocean. I can take it all with me, right guys?
:clap:
I've never seen a U-Haul behind a hearse, have you guys?
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:41 pm

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:56 pm
MoneyJungle wrote:
:clap:
I've never seen a U-Haul behind a hearse, have you guys?

What did they know? :rip:

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:27 pm

I started buying enormous numbers of ebooks that I plan to burn some day to gold plated dvd discs with long lives and bury in the ground somewhere to be discovered by archaelogists in a future civilisation after the nuclear war.
Ex falso, quodlibet

Park

Post by Park » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:43 pm

I’ve never bought as much stuff as I’ve done lately. My husband and I bought a new house 8 months before the Danish lock down started. We’ve been renovating and also purchased a lot of new furniture. I don’t particular enjoy shopping since purchase is a large part of my professionalisme work but it has been ok though, something to while everything was closed down.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:51 pm

Park wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:43 pm
I’ve never bought as much stuff as I’ve done lately. My husband and I bought a new house 8 months before the Danish lock down started. We’ve been renovating and also purchased a lot of new furniture. I don’t particular enjoy shopping since purchase is a large part of my professionalisme work but it has been ok though, something to while everything was closed down.
You haven't been affected by the furniture and domestic product shortages? Everything seems to be sold out.

Park

Post by Park » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:08 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:51 pm
You haven't been affected by the furniture and domestic product shortages? Everything seems to be sold out.
There were a few things which we’ve had to wait for but mostly we’ve been lucky, we also managed to buy Wood for a terrace before the prices exploded.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:25 am

MoneyJungle wrote:
I justify it by considering what I would spend on going out to movies in a non-pandemic year
This is pretty much my attitude these days when ordering pizza delivery from somewhere with good pizza but without meal deals.

I can chart the social mobility of my life by the quality of pizzas I consume.