Buy nothing

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Spartan26

Re: Buy nothing

Post by Spartan26 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:39 am

About two months in I started to redecorate a bathroom. I found a midnight blue that I really loved for the shower curtain. I also found a toilet cover and contour rug to go in front of it. I found two hand towels someplace else but needed two more and a bath mat. The changes were something I knew was coming, I'm not sure if the pandemic sped things up by me seeing it more or if it delayed it cuz I certainly wasn't going to go to dept stores and what have you the first few weeks in. One thing I loooooved was that I was able to go to three stores on a Friday at 4 PM without any sort of resistance from traffic. In fact, I think I went because the freeways were showing up green and I felt nearly obligated to take advantage. What a great feeling it was to race across freeways and exchanges without having to slow down to merge with traffic! I wouldn't have gone to one of those stores at that time any other time otherwise. I woulda been pissed that I found out too late and try to figure out how to arrange my Saturday so I could get up and hit one or two and bemoan the fact that I couldn't sleep in. It reminded me years ago, I was swapping out the shower head in my bathroom and ended up needing a washer or some small part at it was like 11:20 at night. I was kinda ticked off that I wouldn't be able to finish but I remembered seeing a sign for Home Depot being open til midnight and some others being open 24 hours. I had made fun of them thinking, I don't care what your schedule is, anyone operating a spin saw at 3 in the morning deserves to have a bullet inserted into the back of their skull. The only people shopping for power tools and cement at 1 AM are ones trying to hide a body. But here I was 15 mins later nodding to the security guard as I entered and looked for plumbing supplies. What I didn't know at the time was that a lot of hardware stores had extended their hours after the Northridge quake as contractors had so much work to do. My ability to cash in after disaster continues...

I did have certain gift cards that I put to use for my bathroom décor. A couple of things came from places I didn't have giftcards to and I still kinda grimaced making the purchases even though they weren't high dollar amounts at all. At that point I was done with the major stuff but really needed smaller things to close it out. I even hesitated at first using my giftcard for bathroom spruce up when it wasn't like a necessity. I wondered if I should save it in case more of an emergency arose. I was glad I did it when I was done.

I really didn't buy too much else besides food. Sometimes I'd even get mad at myself for spending too much at Costco, even though I knew it'd all get used. I wasn't hording toilet paper but get like extra cheese or jars of pasta sauce. In my head I'm thinking I've got a week or two left at home and it's not like crucial either way, if I run out I've got other things to eat. But then I'd think, might as well get it now while I'm here and then maybe not have to come back in at least 3 weeks if not a month so I don't have risk my life next week for a package of mozzarella. I don't think I ever bought any booze. At least not the first 5-6 mos, maybe longer. Actually surprised I didn't fix myself more cocktails in the morning, just cuz it was a global pandemic.

I bought two pairs of shorts online. They were a decent deal on like Groupon. I wanna say one was groupon the other might've come from someplace else. I was a bit reluctant but since summer was coming, I thought I could use them. One pair wasn''t as fashionable as I would've liked but the pockets zip so it made them ideal for working out outdoors without fear of losing my keys or id. I also bought an Iron Maiden T-shirt. It was a real simple black with red lettering. I like so didn't need it. It was a great price and I wasn't sure how long they'd have them in stock or that amount so I thought of missed opportunities and time when I did buy and was thankful that I did and then pulled the trigger. Even though I had more than made up for it in not spending on gas, and it was less than what I would've dropped going out to eat after a game...that I wasn't going to since they had all been cancelled, in my mind I'm thinking it's a pan-freckin'-demic! You can't spend money frivolously not matter how small cuz you don't know what's going to happen, especially to you! But then I felt like Sylvester smacking that bulldog down after he's crossed the line for how far his chain would stretch, and telling my inner parental/prudent accountant voice,'Ahhh, shuddup!"

As one can guess, I don't really like spending money on myself under normal circumstances, so it's been even less since the covid went down. I was also reminded of working at a studio when the '07 writers' strike happened. In the first day I had to sit in three different meetings on how the sky was falling and all spending needed to cease and desist. I was like, "My gosh, we're like a $70 billion global media empire. We've got three months of product in the pipeline, plus additional episodes shot in anticipation of said strike, all the normal department expenses were budgeted and supplied for for the current fiscal year months ago, why are we acting like we're going to be evicted in two weeks?" I was promptly told that those budgets and expenditures were made under the assumption of normal course of business. It's not normal now, we have to conserve. So they laid off a buncha people day one, primarily as negotiation tactic, and then had us (me) record certain dept expenditures that I normally don't track. This I absolutely hated cuz I know they were looking to see how freckin' lean and pennypinching could they run things going forward and not lose out on essentials.

My gym membership has been on hold since the shutdown of March of last year. They still tried to jack me, and a whole lotta folk, another month after they were closed but there's a class action suit now against them. I'll resume later this month or next. AMC started billing again for their A-List movie pass. I've seen a couple of films but really not getting my money's worth. I'm not sure how much decent product there'll be. I wish they had more arthouse faire. Not sure how many screenings will be taking place come fall, so it may be semi worth it. I did start back with HBO. That and I did pay for a year of Disney+. These mainly to gift/share with my Mom who's downsizing. My parents were quite thrifty but they still managed to buy and hoard stuff they thought they would need but then didn't or it wasn't what they hoped or whatever. Anyway, I'm renting a vehicle to drive back tonz of great stuff from bedding to china & sliverware, like actual silver, like how the F- am I going to clean it??, to books to collector trains to small furniture items, and more, so it's gonna feel like I went on a shopping spree but really will be a bargain for the price of the rental and gas.

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:33 am

I became an active giver, taker, and volunteer for my local Buy Nothing group. I'm not sure how many people know that there are Buy Nothing groups across the US. I don't remember about foreign lands but Madrigal knew the term so maybe they're outside the US too.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:47 am

HighlyIrregular II wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:33 am
I became an active giver, taker, and volunteer for my local Buy Nothing group. I'm not sure how many people know that there are Buy Nothing groups across the US. I don't remember about foreign lands but Madrigal knew the term so maybe they're outside the US too.
It's funny, I saw the title of this thread of Buy Nothing and immediately thought of that website and then I noticed that I had posted on and on about redecorating my bathroom and felt really stupid for missing the point of the thread. But now I see it was about not buying and not about the website, haha! I've got a 42" TV that started going on the fritz last month that I want to give away to like some family or people in need, not just some frat bros looking to score. I upgraded to a 65" 4K wonder. Actually, more like upgrade from a 55" inch in the living room to 65" and moving the 55" to my bedroom to replace the outgoing 42". Which, despite being the smallest is clearly the heaviest of the three, since it's also the oldest.

I have not used Buy Nothing, heard others recommend it. Even though those who suggest it have not tried it. We have a Blessing Box outside our church were members will stock it with pantry type food items and toiletries. It's been well received in the neighborhood as casual passersby will leave items as well. I've actually left bedding and small appliances right underneath it and people have taken it. I really couldn't be bothered to place and ad on Buy Nothing and then sit around and wait. I may have to do that with the TV. Though I don't want some stranger coming by to case my place and see what other stuff they can break in and get for free later on.

I'll drop stuff off at Goodwill. There's been sort of a noticeable public turn against them of late. Some people don't want to give to them since they charge people for their items. They want their stuff to be given for free. I wouldn't be surprised if more than 90% of the stuff I give gets thrown away but I'm happy someone else is willing to do my dirty work. Plus, I know so many of my friends have had to use them help empty out parents' home when they passed or downsized. Renting dumpsters is hella expensive! You can't always get charities to come for furniture but you can drop off stuff at Goodwill, no questions asked. I feel guilty tossing clothes that are still good but worn. Or like pots & pans or kitchen items. I remember hearing someone say "if you wouldn't want it given to you, you shouldn't give it to someone else." Like, I get it, one shouldn't just throw crap at people in need but I feel like if someone had nothing and needed it, I'd want that person to have it. Like I remember getting stuff from acquaintances back in college or 20s that were totally one person's trash was my treasure. I'd be really happy if the stuff I was to give on Buy Nothing would be for group homes or undocumented new arrivals or people starting over. It's not so much about feeling magnanimous but I'd want it to be used and not having it wind up in a dumpster. Which, as much as I love goodwill, I know will be the likely outcome.

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:44 pm

Spartan26 wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:47 am
HighlyIrregular II wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:33 am
It's funny, I saw the title of this thread of Buy Nothing and immediately thought of that website and then I noticed that I had posted on and on about redecorating my bathroom and felt really stupid for missing the point of the thread. But now I see it was about not buying and not about the website, haha! I've got a 42" TV that started going on the fritz last month that I want to give away to like some family or people in need, not just some frat bros looking to score. I upgraded to a 65" 4K wonder. Actually, more like upgrade from a 55" inch in the living room to 65" and moving the 55" to my bedroom to replace the outgoing 42". Which, despite being the smallest is clearly the heaviest of the three, since it's also the oldest.

I have not used Buy Nothing, heard others recommend it. Even though those who suggest it have not tried it. We have a Blessing Box outside our church were members will stock it with pantry type food items and toiletries. It's been well received in the neighborhood as casual passersby will leave items as well. I've actually left bedding and small appliances right underneath it and people have taken it. I really couldn't be bothered to place and ad on Buy Nothing and then sit around and wait. I may have to do that with the TV. Though I don't want some stranger coming by to case my place and see what other stuff they can break in and get for free later on.

I'll drop stuff off at Goodwill. There's been sort of a noticeable public turn against them of late. Some people don't want to give to them since they charge people for their items. They want their stuff to be given for free. I wouldn't be surprised if more than 90% of the stuff I give gets thrown away but I'm happy someone else is willing to do my dirty work. Plus, I know so many of my friends have had to use them help empty out parents' home when they passed or downsized. Renting dumpsters is hella expensive! You can't always get charities to come for furniture but you can drop off stuff at Goodwill, no questions asked. I feel guilty tossing clothes that are still good but worn. Or like pots & pans or kitchen items. I remember hearing someone say "if you wouldn't want it given to you, you shouldn't give it to someone else." Like, I get it, one shouldn't just throw crap at people in need but I feel like if someone had nothing and needed it, I'd want that person to have it. Like I remember getting stuff from acquaintances back in college or 20s that were totally one person's trash was my treasure. I'd be really happy if the stuff I was to give on Buy Nothing would be for group homes or undocumented new arrivals or people starting over. It's not so much about feeling magnanimous but I'd want it to be used and not having it wind up in a dumpster. Which, as much as I love goodwill, I know will be the likely outcome.
When you speak people listen. Excuse me good sir, what are your thoughts on people succumbing to the Godless miasma of our morally debased Western society via excessive television watching and the faux beneficence of hand-me-down donations?

Edited

Are you interested in discussing your basic motive/s for giving and/or positions on the paradoxical reasons for all giving and/or the source of your altruistic je ne sais quoi?
Last edited by Yesterday on Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:13 pm

Spartan26 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:39 am
About two months in I started to redecorate a bathroom. I found a midnight blue that I really loved for the shower curtain. I also found a toilet cover and contour rug to go in front of it. I found two hand towels someplace else but needed two more and a bath mat. The changes were something I knew was coming, I'm not sure if the pandemic sped things up by me seeing it more or if it delayed it cuz I certainly wasn't going to go to dept stores and what have you the first few weeks in. One thing I loooooved was that I was able to go to three stores on a Friday at 4 PM without any sort of resistance from traffic. In fact, I think I went because the freeways were showing up green and I felt nearly obligated to take advantage. What a great feeling it was to race across freeways and exchanges without having to slow down to merge with traffic! I wouldn't have gone to one of those stores at that time any other time otherwise. I woulda been pissed that I found out too late and try to figure out how to arrange my Saturday so I could get up and hit one or two and bemoan the fact that I couldn't sleep in. It reminded me years ago, I was swapping out the shower head in my bathroom and ended up needing a washer or some small part at it was like 11:20 at night. I was kinda ticked off that I wouldn't be able to finish but I remembered seeing a sign for Home Depot being open til midnight and some others being open 24 hours. I had made fun of them thinking, I don't care what your schedule is, anyone operating a spin saw at 3 in the morning deserves to have a bullet inserted into the back of their skull. The only people shopping for power tools and cement at 1 AM are ones trying to hide a body. But here I was 15 mins later nodding to the security guard as I entered and looked for plumbing supplies. What I didn't know at the time was that a lot of hardware stores had extended their hours after the Northridge quake as contractors had so much work to do. My ability to cash in after disaster continues...

I did have certain gift cards that I put to use for my bathroom décor. A couple of things came from places I didn't have giftcards to and I still kinda grimaced making the purchases even though they weren't high dollar amounts at all. At that point I was done with the major stuff but really needed smaller things to close it out. I even hesitated at first using my giftcard for bathroom spruce up when it wasn't like a necessity. I wondered if I should save it in case more of an emergency arose. I was glad I did it when I was done.

I really didn't buy too much else besides food. Sometimes I'd even get mad at myself for spending too much at Costco, even though I knew it'd all get used. I wasn't hording toilet paper but get like extra cheese or jars of pasta sauce. In my head I'm thinking I've got a week or two left at home and it's not like crucial either way, if I run out I've got other things to eat. But then I'd think, might as well get it now while I'm here and then maybe not have to come back in at least 3 weeks if not a month so I don't have risk my life next week for a package of mozzarella. I don't think I ever bought any booze. At least not the first 5-6 mos, maybe longer. Actually surprised I didn't fix myself more cocktails in the morning, just cuz it was a global pandemic.

I bought two pairs of shorts online. They were a decent deal on like Groupon. I wanna say one was groupon the other might've come from someplace else. I was a bit reluctant but since summer was coming, I thought I could use them. One pair wasn''t as fashionable as I would've liked but the pockets zip so it made them ideal for working out outdoors without fear of losing my keys or id. I also bought an Iron Maiden T-shirt. It was a real simple black with red lettering. I like so didn't need it. It was a great price and I wasn't sure how long they'd have them in stock or that amount so I thought of missed opportunities and time when I did buy and was thankful that I did and then pulled the trigger. Even though I had more than made up for it in not spending on gas, and it was less than what I would've dropped going out to eat after a game...that I wasn't going to since they had all been cancelled, in my mind I'm thinking it's a pan-freckin'-demic! You can't spend money frivolously not matter how small cuz you don't know what's going to happen, especially to you! But then I felt like Sylvester smacking that bulldog down after he's crossed the line for how far his chain would stretch, and telling my inner parental/prudent accountant voice,'Ahhh, shuddup!"

As one can guess, I don't really like spending money on myself under normal circumstances, so it's been even less since the covid went down. I was also reminded of working at a studio when the '07 writers' strike happened. In the first day I had to sit in three different meetings on how the sky was falling and all spending needed to cease and desist. I was like, "My gosh, we're like a $70 billion global media empire. We've got three months of product in the pipeline, plus additional episodes shot in anticipation of said strike, all the normal department expenses were budgeted and supplied for for the current fiscal year months ago, why are we acting like we're going to be evicted in two weeks?" I was promptly told that those budgets and expenditures were made under the assumption of normal course of business. It's not normal now, we have to conserve. So they laid off a buncha people day one, primarily as negotiation tactic, and then had us (me) record certain dept expenditures that I normally don't track. This I absolutely hated cuz I know they were looking to see how freckin' lean and pennypinching could they run things going forward and not lose out on essentials.

My gym membership has been on hold since the shutdown of March of last year. They still tried to jack me, and a whole lotta folk, another month after they were closed but there's a class action suit now against them. I'll resume later this month or next. AMC started billing again for their A-List movie pass. I've seen a couple of films but really not getting my money's worth. I'm not sure how much decent product there'll be. I wish they had more arthouse faire. Not sure how many screenings will be taking place come fall, so it may be semi worth it. I did start back with HBO. That and I did pay for a year of Disney+. These mainly to gift/share with my Mom who's downsizing. My parents were quite thrifty but they still managed to buy and hoard stuff they thought they would need but then didn't or it wasn't what they hoped or whatever. Anyway, I'm renting a vehicle to drive back tonz of great stuff from bedding to china & sliverware, like actual silver, like how the F- am I going to clean it??, to books to collector trains to small furniture items, and more, so it's gonna feel like I went on a shopping spree but really will be a bargain for the price of the rental and gas.
No you're a human contour rug. Actually, I know nothing about you other than everything you write is extremely attractive to read because you wear your heart on your sleeve. Come n'answer quick, numba 26!

Edited Edit

My better statement is this.

Spartan26, you're like a beautiful bathroom contour rug because of your intuitive conformity to the unspoken norms of this social environment which ties together and accentuates the diversity of opinions/people in a thread resonating vibrations of harmlessness interestingness approachableness, and engagement.

Spartan26, I'm subordinating my defensive humor to some personal questions to lean in on my interest in your identity. Why does your occupation suit you or doesn't suit you? What kind of car/s do you drive to work and/or for recreation? Are you ever guilting (edit)as self-deception when doing these engaging writeups here at intp.live?
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble