Adolescent shinanigans

Worldly and otherworldly topics
SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Adolescent shinanigans

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:59 am

Well, here's where we regale with highlights of your most humbling/proudful moments in life. I'll go first.

the dumb

I couldn't fit in so I pulled from the only sources I knew, Dave Chappelle and Vince Carter. I needed to be cool-funny and sporty: so I focused on minimal talking and learning how to dunk a basketball. But that wasn't enough. So I needed a prop or decoration or some type of change. An earring? Belly pouch? A back-pocket scarf (no that was too gang-related)? The point was that emulating celebrities just didn't work because their whole drip couldn't be properly mapped onto my situation, naw mean. Vince was tall I'm only 5'11" so I only just dunked about 4-5 times legally in my life. So I opted for a permanent aesthetic modification. I ground down this longtime unsightly chip in my rabbit-like incisors. I had a really straight and unblemished smile for a spell of foolish glee. When I went back to school I got some nods and felt like I'd moved up a socio-economic class. But the tooth substrate became weakened by whitening products and boy did fixing that cost me some.

the cool is still to come
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Tags:

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: Adolescent shinanigans

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:22 am

Had a crush on a girl in 6th grade. A friend got me to write her name on the bathroom wall. I got in trouble.

I couldn't really picture her in recent years and I was kind of curious, then I recently saw her 6th grade class photo newly posted on the Facebook page of the grade school. The friend who got me in trouble is in it too. I saved a copy.

starjots

Post by starjots » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:48 am

This popped into my head the other day after not thinking about it for decades. At our high school graduation party, thrown at a friends house, I got a little drunk. 18 was the legal drinking age in the US back then. Then I found a girl and made out with her most of the night, pretty much in front of everyone. Considering I'd kissed a girl maybe two or three times before that, this was unusual and quite gratifying. I told her I was a little drunk and she informed me that she was quite sober.

The next day she called me and I brushed her off, having my heart set on an unobtainable/adolescent dream of another girl. I just realized, 40 years later, this was one of the top 5 dumbest things I did before the age of 20. She was nice, smart, and we obviously had chemistry. What a numb nuts.

It all turned out okay for me, got married, had kids, have a great mate etc. But I would correct that and at least have a few dates and let her brush me off at her convenience if I had the chance.

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:14 pm

starjots wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:48 am
This popped into my head the other day after not thinking about it for decades. At our high school graduation party, thrown at a friends house, I got a little drunk. 18 was the legal drinking age in the US back then. Then I found a girl and made out with her most of the night, pretty much in front of everyone. Considering I'd kissed a girl maybe two or three times before that, this was unusual and quite gratifying. I told her I was a little drunk and she informed me that she was quite sober.

The next day she called me and I brushed her off, having my heart set on an unobtainable/adolescent dream of another girl. I just realized, 40 years later, this was one of the top 5 dumbest things I did before the age of 20. She was nice, smart, and we obviously had chemistry. What a numb nuts.

It all turned out okay for me, got married, had kids, have a great mate etc. But I would correct that and at least have a few dates and let her brush me off at her convenience if I had the chance.
Fascinating. What would that scenario look like?
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:17 pm

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:22 am
Had a crush on a girl in 6th grade. A friend got me to write her name on the bathroom wall. I got in trouble.

I couldn't really picture her in recent years and I was kind of curious, then I recently saw her 6th grade class photo newly posted on the Facebook page of the grade school. The friend who got me in trouble is in it too. I saved a copy.
The bad.

Karma's gonna shiv me from behind I know it. (Surprise) I used to be a criminal. :( Truth anyhow. Sucks 'cause I've no criminal record to prove it. There goes my street cred. :hi:

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:14 pm

In 2008 I did a creative writing course with other people with mental illnesses... here is a poem I wrote:

Stolen toys confession

Starting school,
I stole a Lego ladder.
A year or two later,
I stole a Lego man’s hairpiece.
From an acquaintance,
I stole two Lego pipes.
From a friend,
I stole a Transformer,
But got caught.
Another time, from that friend,
I stole some coloured paper clips,
But got caught.
At school,
I stole four Lego gears,
With the encouragement of a friend.
I treasure my stolen toys.

I also read out the poem at a special event for people with disabilities and I think the crowd laughed.

starjots

Post by starjots » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:38 am

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:14 pm

As we all know from Back to the Future, you have to keep the timeline essentially intact once you have kids. So I"d take her to a dance and have some other eligible bachelor knock out Biff.

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:55 am

Excerpt from my blog:

https://www.giraffeboards.com/blog.php?b=1549

At about grade 10 at that school there was an ok looking girl who was too fat (who years later lost all that weight), and her friend asked me if I wanted to sleep with that girl. Remembering the movie "Big", I replied "do you mean like a sleep over?" and the girl replied "no, I mean sex". I replied "nah". She later found someone though. I had a very conservative upbringing and was even a young-earth creationist so that, in addition to her fatness, put me off.

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:57 am

JohnClay wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:55 am
Excerpt from my blog:

https://www.giraffeboards.com/blog.php?b=1549

At about grade 10 at that school, there was an ok looking girl who was too fat (who years later lost all that weight), and her friend asked me if I wanted to sleep with that girl. Remembering the movie "Big", I replied "do you mean like a sleep over?" and the girl replied "no, I mean sex". I replied "Nah". She later found someone though. I had a very conservative upbringing and was even a young-earth creationist so that, in addition to her fatness, put me off.
look at this point we all know some cain't come from nothin' so the old stuff is useful for describing physical stuff but it can't explain the bigger picture. btw, are you an old-earth creationist now since you still believe in God?

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:22 am

starjots wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:38 am
SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:14 pm

As we all know from Back to the Future, you have to keep the timeline essentially intact once you have kids. So I"d take her to a dance and have some other eligible bachelor knock out Biff.
► Show Spoiler