Tea

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Tea

Post by Madrigal » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:20 pm

Hello all you tea-drinking freaks. I plan to convert to industrial levels of tea-drinking and only have cup of coffee a day. At the moment I've banned coffee completely until my cankersores heal.

That's the issue, I have a cankersore problem and I think coffee might be causing it. So I'm suspending coffee a couple of weeks and then I'll add it back in, in small quantities.

Right now I'm drinking a strong Irish tea that I discovered at a nice tea place that has tons of interesting teas. It's just the one I have at home besides Lipton. If you have any recommendations/favorite teas/precautions, let me know so I can order some more.

Just to state the obvious, I need stimulant teas. I suspect there might be teas that are not stimulants. Those don't interest me.

Tags:

Senseye

Re: Tea

Post by Senseye » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:13 pm

Hmm, I am a bit dubious your canker sores have anything to do with coffee, but let us know if it works out for you. I mean, they are bound to heal sooner or later but after a few experiments on/off coffee, update us on your findings.

I don't have many issues with canker sores, but when I get them on occasion I tend to up my intake of green vegetables. My theory is the sores are related to some sort of vitamin deficiency, but that is pure speculation on my part, I have no scientific evidence. But I don't always eat as many green veggies as I probably should, and I at least perceive this as helping.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:32 pm

Maybe they're from mask wearing. Otherwise makeup or lip balm. Or maybe too much time in humidity. Get an A/C. I hear they're not as popular outside of America.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:58 pm

BTW, I got my shingles vaccine first because of speculation that the Covid vaccine can cause shingles, presumably including oral shingles.

This article cites three studies. Only one of them sounds like it's about the vaccine as opposed to Covid as a cause of Shingles. That one supports a link. The article also says: "There’s currently no evidence to clear up the question of whether having COVID-19 or getting vaccinated against the coronavirus that causes it increases your risk for developing shingles in any statistically significant way."

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:10 pm

Earl Grey.
Ex falso, quodlibet

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:48 pm

Senseye wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:13 pm
Hmm, I am a bit dubious your canker sores have anything to do with coffee, but let us know if it works out for you. I mean, they are bound to heal sooner or later but after a few experiments on/off coffee, update us on your findings.

I don't have many issues with canker sores, but when I get them on occasion I tend to up my intake of green vegetables. My theory is the sores are related to some sort of vitamin deficiency, but that is pure speculation on my part, I have no scientific evidence. But I don't always eat as many green veggies as I probably should, and I at least perceive this as helping.
HighlyIrregular wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:58 pm
BTW, I got my shingles vaccine first because of speculation that the Covid vaccine can cause shingles, presumably including oral shingles
I've had sores ever since childhood (they are not on my lips, they are inside my mouth) so I have an idea of the things that cause them. Back when I used to eat a lot of chocolate, I noticed that chocolate caused them. I also noticed that citrus fruits cause them. And I guess I never noticed the coffee conection because I drank mate tea most of my life. I recently, maybe two months ago, switched to a Brazilian coffee that's really strong, and that's around the time my cankersores went out of control. I can barely talk right now btw. Anyway, yes, I had no coffee today and I won't for a couple of weeks, and we'll see how it goes for me just drinking tea. I'll add the coffee back later (not the Brazilian one).
Ferrus wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:10 pm
Earl Grey.
It tastes soapy to me.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:58 pm

I've been using mass quantities of 'Lancashire Tea' (which I formerly believed was called 'English Cuppa' because of earlier marketing) which I bought for $20 for 1100 teabags X 6, and recently started mixing it with loose Orange Spice tea by Davidson's Organics (I've been attempting to recreate a blend of Boston Tea Party tea, even though I suspect they use real cinnamon, and when I open the bag it smells like the artificially scented pine cones sold at Christmas time. . . So I use it sparingly in a French press with about 5-6 tea bags, and pour it over ice.)

Decent tea is usually hard to find without spending a lot, though if I ever buy mass quantities of good tea it's often great to incorporate it into blends to improve other varieties (and it reminds me of when I bought East India Company tea for about $2 for decent size loose tea canisters (when a grocery store was going out of business,) and each french press I made was a real cloudy mixture due to tannins and using too much. I've scaled it back a little and will usually do one French press of tea and an espresso or two per day.

Lancashire is good but I often prefer to combine at least 2 tea bags of Thomsons Tea (which mostly make strong Irish tea though their Scottish teas are similar to Brodies Edinburgh.)
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

starjots

Post by starjots » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:06 am

If you like drinking it cold and in large quantities, you can just throw the bags in a large container of filtered water and put it in the fridge overnight. (Actually I hang the tea bags from the edge so the paper doesn't get in the drink). I make a gallon a day that way and add 1/4 unsweatened vanilla almond milk to the glass. I like Irish tea, it's part of the mix I use.

I have found this to be an efficient method of on-demand caffeination.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:39 am

Ferrus wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:10 pm
Earl Grey.
Alexa, play Ferrus's theme song!

Edit: whoops, posted the wrong song.

Here's what I meant to post. :lol:
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:20 am

It's only been a day of not drinking coffee and my cankersores have already gotten better. Crazy.

I ordered a whole bunch of fancy teas and will be reviwing them here. :nerd:
starjots wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:06 am
If you like drinking it cold and in large quantities, you can just throw the bags in a large container of filtered water and put it in the fridge overnight. (Actually I hang the tea bags from the edge so the paper doesn't get in the drink). I make a gallon a day that way and add 1/4 unsweatened vanilla almond milk to the glass. I like Irish tea, it's part of the mix I use.

I have found this to be an efficient method of on-demand caffeination.
I don't think I could do without the heat, even in summer, I need something hot. But I'll keep it in mind.

Anyone ever tried blooming tea? I would buy it sometime in the future. The place I discovered has it.