Disappointed with Flight Simulator 2020

Worldly and otherworldly topics
JohnClay

Disappointed with Flight Simulator 2020

Post by JohnClay » Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:56 am

Before Flight Simulator 2020 was released I was impressed with this screenshot:

I wrote:
https://lifesplayer.com/flightsim.php
This shows what's possible in games now - imagine what would be possible in a few more decades or centuries...
From blades of grass and leaves on trees
I had just assumed that you'd be able to view leaves on trees because it is common in Speedtree games like GTA V....

And the trees in Far Cry from 2004:

From that first screenshot it looked like you could see individual blades of grass....

But this is what the grass looks like in Flight Simulator 2020 - in ultra detail mode....
grass1.jpg
grass1.jpg (355.43 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
This is what trees look like close up in ultra detail mode:
Capture-trees.jpg
Capture-trees.jpg (325.81 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
Capture-trees5.jpg
Capture-trees5.jpg (406.71 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
It seems to involve "directional sprites" (like Wing Commander) where it shows different versions depending on its orientation to the viewer. When not in low detail mode it fades between the different orientations.

On the other hand it only cost me A$1 to obtain the game.... which is for the first month of XBox Game Pass membership then it is A$10.95 per month (for the PC membership). (I didn't want to pay $80 earlier on)

On reddit the people said that it is a flight simulator so the trees don't need to show individual leaves - but there is a drone camera mode and in New York you begin right next to Central Park...

Here are the controls:
https://www.ytechb.com/microsoft-flight ... d-controls

Though when I start the game it says my computer doesn't meet the requirements (it is an i3) but it runs at pretty good framerates even in ultra mode. (I've got 16 Gb RAM and 4 Gb GTX 1080).

JohnClay

Re: Disappointed with Flight Simulator 2020

Post by JohnClay » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:43 am

So I thought I'd start off at Brisbane airport.... I've mastered the drone camera but not so much the plane....
plane.jpg
plane.jpg (324.47 KiB) Viewed 1802 times

JohnClay

Re: Disappointed with Flight Simulator 2020

Post by JohnClay » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:12 am

I guess real-time tech demos like the "Book of the Dead" for the Unity engine made me expect a lot of AAA game trees:

I wanted to make a video in Flight Simulator 2020 where it starts zoomed into a leaf then it zooms out above the clouds...

But I think this is even better - it shows a detailed warrior with pec animations then eventually shows more than a million characters on screen at once... it mainly uses the GPU which can involve 1000+ cores....